Acoustic Guitar Photos
PV (Brian - correct?)
Interesting side note. I have a good friend who is a local musician. She has wrote and recorded. She plays through various venues. She is also a great fingerstyle player. She has played both of my Eastmans and she actually prefers the E8D. Her main instrument is a beautiful Martin D45K. She states it is the low end that she loves on the E8D. She liked the E40 but absolutely loved the dreadnaught. Her Martin is older with a fairly thick neck. She commented on how easy both Eastman necks were to play.
(07-18-2018, 11:21 AM)TomC Wrote: Northman
It's an ebony insert in the back of the neck. From my understanding it is aesthetic as well as structural for strength. I do not believe it is all the way through nor is the neck joined in the middle lengthwise. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

It is a two piece neck in that there is a seam where the heal meets the neck. My E8D is definitely three pieces as I can notice grain differences where the headstock meets the neck as well as where the heal meets the neck. I cannot see any seem or grain changes on the E40 where the headstock and neck meet.

yeah Tom, it looks like it's a two piece - length wise - excluding the heel.
Meaning the headstock + neck shaft are two pieces with an ebony fillet.
 Once this assembled and glued up the heel block is added - so no fillet.
Much in the way trad Spanish necks are made.
Show up a picture of the top 'edge' of the headstock to see if it goes all the ways through.
Northman
I looked at the top of the headstock after your initial post. The ebony does go all the way through to the binding. That is an interesting method of building a neck. I learned something new.
We all love pics, TomC your new E40OM is gorgeous.

Calling all EGF members, post pics.   Smile......  often.

I've posted a number of pics of the front of my E20OM-TC.  The wonderful, straight grain of the EIR on this guitar just, completes the package.

[Image: 0YDzbtp.jpg]
Pura Vida likes this post
Yep, Brian (aka Pura Vida).    Smile

I'm sure your E8D has a little more low end (dread vs. OM) and warmth (played in Sitka vs. brand new Adi), so I'm not surprised that your friend prefers the E8D to your new E40OM.  That may change over time --- or maybe not, since she prefers a Sitka dread.

Northman, thanks for the insight on the headstock and neck construction.

Bert, that's a sweet looking EIR back.  Eastman is making absolute classics!
(07-18-2018, 01:21 PM)Bert Wrote: We all love pics, TomC your new E40OM is gorgeous.

Calling all EGF members, post pics.   Smile......  often.

I've posted a number of pics of the front of my E20OM-TC.  The wonderful, straight grain of the EIR on this guitar just, completes the package.

[Image: 0YDzbtp.jpg]
Bert
I am not sure what it is about your specific guitar but that just catches my eye - from the front with the aged look and herring bone purfling to that beautifully figured back, I just think it is one of the better guitars I have seen. I am a little envious.
TomC
[Image: omMrJmq9rMO6xrztARB2-AYSlLvRJa71R5hqjbIG...1CoA=w2400]
ac dr-1 - e10d - e10ss/v
[Image: efbktqWd2LLB2EVs8o7G8BK8dLBdg2Dsjc2pp0Iv...7kAA=w2400]
SneakyDeaky likes this post
Greeman, if Eastman runs out of mahogany, we'll know where it went.  Wink

That's a great looking trio, thanks for the pics and best wishes.  bert
Nice trio, greeman!  Thx for sharing.

Keep those photos coming...
[Image: 291djdy.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post