Acoustic Guitar Photos
I
(05-11-2020, 06:38 PM)vintage42 Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 06:40 AM)Mitch Wrote: ... my new E8OM... One thing though, she is a bit on the heavy side. No issue really... 

Heaviness is not an issue for me, either.
My E20-OM feels like a boat anchor for its size. It weighs 4 lbs 13 oz.
My much larger 1969 Martin D-35 weighs only 5 lbs 2 oz. 
Yet, the E20-OM sounds very similar to the old Martin in the special high quality of sound.
Which is why, in my old age downsizing, the Martin is the one being sold.

Funny enough, my family was saying, the E8OM sounds similar to my Faith Dread. As loud (if not louder) and full.
My wife was quick in asking if I now sell the ‚big one‘. Haha.
Actually I prefer the neck of the Eastman. Fuller and a bit wider. And that smooth ebony. Perfect.

Interesting, I bought the OM for more delicate playing, intimate sounds without a pick. Now I find myself digging in with a pick and quite enjoying the tone. (You read a lot that short scale doesn’t fit for strumming...well I love to strum my Eastman!)
Bit more compressed then the Dread. But still lots of sustain and depth.
Doesn’t get muddy. Really happy with the Sitka top and the RW b&s. The nice bottom end and warmth I like.

I was strumming away on frusciantes ‚the past recedes‘ (actually love the album ‚curtains‘)!

And guess what? Preferred it on the OM then the Dread. Maybe cause it is truer to the original. Who knows.

Despite its weight I find the E8OM very responsive, resonant and dynamic.

I always say, there is the tone of a Guitar, you have to love it...but without comfort of playing, you don‘t enjoy it. The OM is a dream to play. The Dread size bothers me after a while. And I am 1.90m tall !

Cheers
Michel
„I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things“ Tom Waits
I mentioned this on another thread, but some people have said that the full neck shape contributes to the overall weight.  I don't find Eastman guitars overbuilt in any way, but perhaps their backs and sides are a little thicker than others.  Also, I'd be curious how much nitro finish contributes to the overall weight, since my E10SS/v feels much lighter than my E10D, even though they're both Mahogany/Adi dreads (although the E10SS/v is shorter scale and a slope dread shape).

But in the end, weight may not matter to many players, and it really comes down to comfort, playability, and (most of all) tone.  And Eastman certainly knows how to build and voice their instruments.  I can dig into my E20OM-SB and E40OM just as easily as your E8OM, Vintage's E20OM, or any of my dreads.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(05-12-2020, 01:17 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: I mentioned this on another thread, but some people have said that the full neck shape contributes to the overall weight.  I don't find Eastman guitars overbuilt in any way, but perhaps their backs and sides are a little thicker than others.  Also, I'd be curious how much nitro finish contributes to the overall weight, since my E10SS/v feels much lighter than my E10D, even though they're both Mahogany/Adi dreads (although the E10SS/v is shorter scale and a slope dread shape).

An OM with the varnish finsh would be a cool Thing. anybody heard if there are plans to extend the varnish series?

They seem to be expanding the varnish into their electric line more than the acoustic, which only has the two models.  It would be cool to see another model or maybe a natural / different color option.  A lot of their resources have gone into the TC models, which are popular (and Eastman is able to do for a reasonable up-charge).
[quote="Pura Vida" pid='11147' dateline='1589271470']
I mentioned this on another thread, but some people have said that the full neck shape contributes to the overall weight.  I don't find Eastman guitars overbuilt in any way, but perhaps their backs and sides are a little thicker than others.  Also, I'd be curious how much nitro finish contributes to the overall weight, since my E10SS/v feels much lighter than my E10D, even though they're both Mahogany/Adi dreads (although the E10SS/v is shorter scale and a slope dread shape).

Isn‘t Nitro ‚aging‘ as well, getting thinner with time? I believe I read that somewhere sometime ago. Whereas Poly and those types of finishes don‘t change. Wouldn‘t know if Nitro is heavier in weight than other finishes. Maybe someone knows more. Interesting stuff for sure. Comparing my two acoustics, the E8OM (Nitro) and the Faith HiGloss (Poly), the Eastman finish might be a bit thicker, but hard to tell really. Then my Faith is from 2014, the Eastman brand new.

Have a good weekend
Mitch
Pura Vida likes this post
Yes, Nitro and Poly will age and become thinner over time (technically, anything will, right?).  But the varnish is really, really thin... to the point that it feels like the bare wood is breathing through what little finish is there.  The finish looks and feels like a vintage guitar, or put another way, how a new guitar may look in 50 years.  Meanwhile, you can feel and see that the gloss Nitro or Poly finish on top of the wood is thicker.  As for which is thicker, I'd say Poly is generally thicker than Nitro, but it probably depends on the maker, how it's applied, etc.
new to the forum, but wanted to post my new eastman! [Image: CcemXba.jpg][Image: eV47eRy.jpg][Image: mQCYbeK.jpg]
nobodeuno, TomC, Pura Vida, NoiseFloor like this post
Welcome egrassel01 - beautiful looking guitar! What is it - an e40OM? How does it play? Do you have other guitars to compare it with?
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Welcome!  Wow, it looks like you got a super rare E40 OO SS-SB.  I saw our friend, chapboogie, at The Acoustic Shoppe got one a while back, but since there have got to be less than a handful of these on the planet.  Drop us an NGD post and tell us more about your new Eastman!
Absolutely one of the best looking guitars I have seen. That burst against the abalone binding is stunning.
Pura Vida likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Eastman 2020 E8OM - Photos and Comments L-Man 6 1,770 09-10-2020, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  Posting photos Airborne 6 1,592 08-28-2020, 04:22 PM
Last Post: mouks
Thumbs Up NGD - E10OM-TC *photos* Madhat007 12 4,072 01-27-2019, 09:28 AM
Last Post: AlanSam