Introduce yourself!
Hi EGF forum – I wanted to sticky a thread at the top of the forum for member introductions, with the goal of providing a single location for folks to share and get to know each other better.  We all share the common thread - passion for Eastman guitars!  Some introductions have been shared in various posts, but I wanted to consolidate introductions here. 

You can feel free to introduce yourself however you’d like, however I thought I’d lead with proposed questions you can choose to answer. 

Geographic Location?

How did you discover Eastman?

Favorites related to Eastman - favorite models & wood combos, and which model is next on your purchase list?

Music interests & anything else?
sparkysings likes this post
I’ll start!

Geographic location:  I live in the metro-Phoenix Arizona area and am an AZ native.  Spent many years working in Redmond, WA before returning to Arizona in 2013.  In addition to the endless sunshine, low humidity is a real problem that I try and keep up with for my acoustics!

How did you discover Eastman?  Back in 2011, I was at a guitar shop near Seattle trying various acoustics on the wall.  I was looking for a lower cost acoustic at the time, and I had heard a little about Eastman from AGF.  I saw an Eastman AC312 hanging on the wall, and picked it up and strummed a G chord.  I honestly couldn’t believe my ears.  I kept playing.  I paused, looked in the sound hole at the craftsmanship… “Is this for real?”  I couldn’t believe I could get a solid wood acoustic guitar, with this kind of tone and playability, at this affordable price.  Blew my mind!  I bought it instantly, and then began the process of selling nearly all other brand acoustics and electrics I owned to acquire more Eastman acoustics.  To this day, I still am amazed every time I play an Eastman, especially in comparison to other makers.

Favorites related to Eastman:  favorite models / wood combinations, and which model is next on your purchase list:   Although there isn’t an Eastman I likely wouldn’t like, I do prefer the Spruce / Mahogany wood combinations, and also lean towards the simple, OM body size.  Even my only complaint about Eastman (string spacing at the saddle) seems to have addressed and is wider on my 2017 E6OM versus my earlier AC512.  For my next Eastman: I would love an Eastman E20 OM or an LTD E-series with the slotted headstock!

Music interests / other:  I am a huge fan of acoustic fingerstyle guitar – some of my favorite players are Tommy Emmanuel, Martin Tallstrom, Andy McKee, Adam Rafferty and mix in some jazz via Earl Klugh.

I have thought for years that Eastman really deserves their own discussion forum, and would be great to gather like-minded Eastman fans to one location.  I believed Eastman deserved better than buried as a subforum on the blueridge forum!  The idea of launching a forum had been brewing in my mind for some time.  Finally, with the encouragement of Bert, Brian, Dave and a few others – I went for it and launched EGF in September 2017.  After a few short months, we’re already up to 84 members and almost 700 posts… the reception has been great so far!
Ok, let's do this.

Geographic Location:  I'm in Sacramento, which is northern CA, directly between SF and Lake Tahoe.  It's hot and dry here too --- on any given day, take Tim's weather and subtract 15ºF.  I grew up in PA, met my wife at Penn State, and lived in Pittsburgh for eight years before moving west.  About five years ago, we visited Tamarindo, Costa Rica for the first time, and it's become a second home for our family.  We try to visit there when we can, and once the kids are grown, maybe we'll get to spend a little more time there.

How did you discover Eastman:  I read several posts, which spoke positively about Eastman guitars.  About a year ago, I was shopping for a Martin dread, when I remembered that a local store carried Eastman guitars.  I played through a half dozen models, but the E20D's Adi top and full sound spoke to me.  I began calling around for prices, and Ted at LA Guitar Sales not only gave me a great price, but also took the time to discuss the differences between Martin and Eastman, as well as differences between E40D and E20D.  These conversations reassured me in my decisions to choose Eastman and my E40D.

Favorites related to Eastman - favorite models & wood combos, and which model is next on your purchase list:  In 2017, I went all in on Eastman.  As Tim mentions, I've sold off most of my non-Eastman guitars (just two Seagulls remain).  I am obsessed with the Rosewood/Adi combination, and I prefer fuller sized guitars, so dread and OM are best for me.  For 2018, I was seriously planning to expand my sound palette and either buy an E8D or possibly an E10D-TC, when another EGF member posted about an E40D-SB for sale.  I called Ted at LAGS, and we struck a deal for an E40D natural, which delivered yesterday (NGD post coming soon!).  I'm a little heavy on guitars for 2017, so I'll likely hold off in 2018 (unless I sell my two smaller body guitars).

Music interests & anything else:  Music has been a constant in my life.  I enjoy listening to it, playing it, and watching others perform.  Neil Young is probably my biggest influence, and I learned to play guitar with his songs.  Anyone who knows Neil understands he is a restless spirit, whose sound can change from one album to the next.  My musical tastes are the same, and I can easily mix classic rock, indie, garage rock, punk, 80s alternative, etc.

What else?  I began playing guitar as a teen, and I was self-taught (with my Neil Young Easy Guitar book).  So, while I have some basic understanding of music and theory, I'm pretty DIY and more of an acoustic strummer and electric garage rocker.  In college, I bought my first acoustic to play in my freshman dorm.  In 2005, I took a 10 year hiatus from playing to focus on my family and career.  I'm playing mostly acoustic now, and it's been more enjoyable the second time around.  And I find the craft of acoustic guitars (the mix of art and science) to be fascinating.  I learn so much on these forums.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Geographic Location? I live in Payson Arizona, a small town in the Arizona mountains at 5000' 

How did you discover Eastman? I've been familiar with and have owned some of the Eastman acoustics. OM20

Favorites related to Eastman - favorite models & wood combos, and which model is next on your purchase list? I've been missing my ES335 that I sold about 6 years ago, and have been looking for something close to the 335 for a lot less money, we have a small music store here that I was looking around in and just happened to notice a Eastman T386SB sitting behind the counter on the floor that was on consignment. It was offered at what I thought was a decent deal. It was hard being this close to Christmas, but I have a credit card and I'm not afraid to use it !! 

Music interests & anything else? Pretty much the same story as the previous poster, self taught, garage bands in the 60's and 70's then walked away for years before picking up an acoustic and starting to practice again. Did some gigs for a while, but walked away again as family needs trumped the music hobby. Been playing for myself at home only for the last 7 years, just acoustics. I only own acoustics now, they are great, but I'm wanting to learn something new and am thinking about some jazz standards type stuff. The 386 is one impressive guitar, I don't think I will be missing much when compared to the 335. 

John
Welcome John, good to have you in the EGF.

Geographic Location:  
40 mins NE of Atlanta... Duluth, GA in the Piedmont of the Great Smokey Mountains.  (5" of snow last week)

How did you discover Eastman:  
Our local boutique dealer, Maple St Guitars, was an early Eastman archtop dealer before flattops.  In early 2011, as a Collings D2H owner, I had the jones for an OM2H but couldn't reach (with a ladder).  They pointed me to Eastman and said they are the very best of the far east guitars and highly recommend... came home with an AC412.  An excellent day in the life.

Eastman favorite models & wood combos, and which model is next on your purchase list:
E10SS has been #1 for 6yrs, and also our 2012 AR880ce Pisano archtop.  My son's 2013 AC630 is the best jumbo I have ever played, he won't let me near it.  As of one month ago, 1st chair was taken over by the new E20-OM TC... this model is so solid it's beyond my ability to find words.  This guitar has killed any and all form of gas for the forseable future.

Music interests & anything else:
I love guitars but my favorite music instruments are what ever makes the music.  Louis Armstrong and the Allstars have been my major, all-time influence.  60s rock, soul, and blues are next.  As a young boy in ~1960, when I first heard Jimmy Reed's "Baby What You Want Me to Do", I knew a guitar was in my future.
I love to do my version (not cover) of some of the old tunes but songwriting is my main thing, where's that one note? That's the challenge.
(12-20-2017, 06:43 PM)Bert Wrote: Welcome John, good to have you in the EGF.

Geographic Location:  
40 mins NE of Atlanta... Duluth, GA in the Piedmont of the Great Smokey Mountains.  (5" of snow last week)

How did you discover Eastman:  
Our local boutique dealer, Maple St Guitars, was an early Eastman archtop dealer before flattops.  In early 2011, as a Collings D2H owner, I had the jones for an OM2H but couldn't reach (with a ladder).  They pointed me to Eastman and said they are the very best of the far east guitars and highly recommend... came home with an AC412.  An excellent day in the life.

Eastman favorite models & wood combos, and which model is next on your purchase list:
E10SS has been #1 for 6yrs, and also our 2012 AR880ce Pisano archtop.  My son's 2013 AC630 is the best jumbo I have ever played, he won't let me near it.  As of one month ago, 1st chair was taken over by the new E20-OM TC... this model is so solid it's beyond my ability to find words.  This guitar has killed any and all form of gas for the forseable future.

Music interests & anything else:
I love guitars but my favorite music instruments are what ever makes the music.  Louis Armstrong and the Allstars have been my major, all-time influence.  60s rock, soul, and blues are next.  As a young boy in ~1960, when I first heard Jimmy Reed's "Baby What You Want Me to Do", I knew a guitar was in my future.
I love to do my version (not cover) of some of the old tunes but songwriting is my main thing, where's that one note?  That's the challenge.

Thanks for the welcome Bert, interesting read, I had a Collins OM2HSS....I'll just say I could never bond with it and sold it. The Eastman OM's were more enjoyable to me. 
John
Eastman T386SB 
Some acoustics of different brands
Welcome, John. If I got another electric, I've said it would be an ES-335 or maybe a Les Paul (never owned either style). So happy that Eastman makes both styles so well.

Bert, if I could time travel, I wouldn't go very far... just back to the 1960s (which were just before my time). Although it was a very turbulent period, it produced some of the most creative music from the last century. I've been in a two day Stones kick since it was Keef's 74th b-day this week.
(12-20-2017, 05:24 PM)jdinaz Wrote: Geographic Location? I live in Payson Arizona, a small town in the Arizona mountains at 5000' How did you discover Eastman? I've been familiar with and have owned some of the Eastman acoustics. OM20Favorites related to Eastman - favorite models & wood combos, and which model is next on your purchase list? I've been missing my ES335 that I sold about 6 years ago, and have been looking for something close to the 335 for a lot less money, we have a small music store here that I was looking around in and just happened to notice a Eastman T386SB sitting behind the counter on the floor that was on consignment. It was offered at what I thought was a decent deal. It was hard being this close to Christmas, but I have a credit card and I'm not afraid to use it !! Music interests & anything else? Pretty much the same story as the previous poster, self taught, garage bands in the 60's and 70's then walked away for years before picking up an acoustic and starting to practice again. Did some gigs for a while, but walked away again as family needs trumped the music hobby. Been playing for myself at home only for the last 7 years, just acoustics. I only own acoustics now, they are great, but I'm wanting to learn something new and am thinking about some jazz standards type stuff. The 386 is one impressive guitar, I don't think I will be missing much when compared to the 335. John

John ----  Welcome to the forum, glad to have you on board!

Tim
Geographic Location?

Near Knoxville in East Tennessee close to the Great Smoky Mountains.  Unfortunately, I do not have a true Eastman dealer near where I live.  The Eastman website says that I do but the guy has no guitars.

How did you discover Eastman?

I was interested in an electric hollow or semi-hollow body guitar.  I tried out quite a few guitars (cheap to expensive) over several months and settled on an Eastman 486 sunburst (B-Stock).  I had to travel some distance just to be able to handle and play a limited number of Eastman models.  I had asked for recommendations on another forum and Eastman was one of a long list of suggestions.  

Favorites related to Eastman - favorite models & wood combos, and which model is next on your purchase list?

I have been well pleased with my 486 and love the sunburst finish.  The guitar is beautiful and has only a couple of minor finish flaws on the back of the neck and a light smudge on the headstock.  The setup was close to perfect and other than a minor bridge adjustment I have changed nothing else with the guitar in two years.  You need bright sun to see either flaw. The action is low and the guitar is easy to play.  I have played the guitar almost everyday since owning it and will likely own it until my days are done.  I have not seen them in person but have seen pictures of the antique and a blonde/natural finish used on some of the electrics that looks really cool.  The pictures of the new solid body Les Paul style look really nice too.

As for my next purchase I am considering one of the Eastman Pacific Coast Highway Acoustics, not sure which one yet.  Part of my reasoning for joining this forum was to try to find some more information and opinions on these models.  I plan to start a thread on that topic shortly. 

Music interests & anything else?

I took up guitar later in life (at 50) and have been playing for about two and a half years.  I had never played any instrument and knew little about music.  One of the fringe benefits that I have with work is that my employer will cover the cost of two courses each semester and I have used that to take guitar classes at a local  community college.   I will be taking my third course starting next week.  The classes are challenging and sometimes exhausting but cover techniques, some theory, and general music appreciation.  I have to say that the first year or so trying to learn to play was very frustrating but after that I felt like I slowly started putting things together.  I mostly consider myself a novice and strum songs, learn a few licks and riffs, and play with backing tracks, etc.  I have recently been learning some very basic finger picking.  Music is a hobby and escape for me.  I have no illusions of ever being a great player.  I really try to focus on rythm as I think that is where it all begins.

In terms of music that I like, I would say that the Allman Brothers Band in their different lineups over the years is my favorite band (especially their live music).  Dickey Betts is probably my favorite player with his tone and some great songwriting.  Warren Haynes is a current player that still tours, writes, and releases new music that I think highly of.   I like most all of the usual suspects that you see on great player lists.  I like most any song or act that you would see or hear on the Eric Clapton Crossroads festivals.  I like 60s and 70s rock, old country, some jazz,  bluegrass, traditional gospel, some folk, a good bit of pop music, etc.  I like a lot of music that I do not  have the ability to play.  I mostly work with chord and lyric sheets for music that I like and used the Justin Guitar site to learn basic chords and strumming and still use it to supplement the classes I take.  If you are not familiar with it, there is a wealth of knowledge there on how to play songs, theory, etc.
Welcome, Stoli. I always loved the ABB in all of its many forms. I actually got to meet Jaimoe, Warren Haynes, Marc Quinones, and the late Allen Woody once. Derek Trucks ended things on a high note and occasionally performs with Duane Allman's old LP Gold Top (as does Nels Cline of Wilco; the guitar goes out on loan).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Allow myself to introduce...myself 3DayPhunk 7 2,139 01-10-2019, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Wildfield