Introduce yourself!
Keith, thanks for posting --- never too late! Congrats on your (soon-to-be) new E6D. Looking forward to the review and pics. What was your favorite Eastman from your past? Is it the E10SS that sold to Scott Memmer (Charmed Life Picks), or a different one?

Edit: we are kindred spirits. Mid-west transplants to the west coast, appreciation for guitars (inc. Eastman), and fans of Neil Young too!
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I was a life long Neil fan from the first time I heard the Harvest album over 40 years ago.

My favorite? That's a difficult choice... probably my first 10D or the 10SS when you consider tone and ergonomics and aesthetics. Scott loves his E10SS! Yet the best Eastman I have ever played is my wife's AJ816. It is an incredible guitar.
Hey ZI - glad to see your the introduction! I know you were one of the very first to join EGF :)

I think I mentioned on another thread, but I spent 12+ years in the Seattle area... fighting traffic on I405 on the East side!

I've always wanted to play a AJ816 in person. Looks like an amazing guitar. I have watched a couple on ebay over the years, when someone actually decides to sell one.
Hey Meat! We live fairly rural, and there is enough traffic here as it is. I can't imagine living along the 405. 

If you ever get a chance at an AJ816 or 817, don't pass it up.
Z, it's so great that you are a member of EGF. Washington state is such a beautiful part of the country. I have family in Portland, OR and have been there a number of times. I've lived in Santa Cruz, CA... Houston, New Orleans, Columbia (SC), Charlotte, & Atlanta... since the 96' Olympics. A career in the computer industry will do that to someone.

It's good folks like you that are making this brain child of Tim's into a special place to hang.
best always,
bert
I was very happy to discover this forum! I have loved guitars and guitar music since I was literally a preschool child. I was raised in Texas, mostly in the Dallas area. In 1976, I joined the US Coast Guard and was stationed in Ketchikan, AK where I fell in love with "The Great Northwest", the mountains, the forests, and being near the ocean. That is why I have lived in the Seattle, WA area for the past 28 years. 

Geographic Location?
I actually live in Kent, WA, a suburb to the south right between Seattle and Tacoma. My wife and I love it here and have agreed that we will retire and die in the Puget Sound Area. 

How did you discover Eastman?
I purchased my first Eastman guitar off of Craig's List in 2010. That was an AC412OM and I was immediately struck with the quality in the materials, craftsmanship, and sound. I played it for hours that first night. 

Favorites related to Eastman - favorite models & wood combos, and which model is next on your purchase list?
I favor OM and Dreadnaught-sized acoustics, semi hollow ES335 and Stratocaster electrics, and solid body bass guitars. I used to play in country rock bands in Texas. I got WAY more work as a bass player because lead guitar players are everywhere and really good bass players can be hard to find and so are always in demand.

I have been very impressed with Eastman's traditional series guitars and I like solid rosewood, mahogany, and sapele for back and sides. My next purchase will be an AC630CE when I can get free of debt incurred while purchasing the others! Confused  I've always wanted a really nice jumbo acoustic.

Music interests & anything else?
I grew up with the Beatles, Moody Blues, Hendrix, and of course Clapton, Beck, and Page. However when disco became huge, I migrated to country rock (like a great many others) and played everything from George Jones and Patsy Cline to Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers. In the 80s, I also listened to a lot of Fleetwood Mac. My favorite electric guitar players are Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, and Lindsey Buckingham. My favorite acoustic players are James Taylor, Tommy Emmanuel, and several Bluegrass players. In the last few years, I have really gotten into Christian music because I feel that there is no higher calling for ANY musician than leading others in worship of the Lord.  Heart

I currently own:
1) Eastman E8D
2) Eastman E8OM
3) Eastman E10D
4) Eastman E10OM
5) Cordoba C5
6) Fender/Sigler Custom Stratocaster (with Lace Sensor Hot Gold pickups)
7) Washburn HB35WRK (with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker Pickup set)
8) G&L L2000 Bass
9) Yamaha FGX800C (amazing quality for the money and much less worry at gigs)
10) Eastman AJ816CE

I look forward to sharing and learning a lot from my fellow members!  Cool
campajc, that's a great lineup of Eastman guitars. How do you like the E8D? If you've had it for a while, how has it changed over time? I'd love to add one into the mix at some point.

Washington state is amazing! I drove up there a dozen years ago, and then back down the entire Pacific coast over my birthday week a dozen-plus years ago. Wish I could have spent a lot more time there and overdue for a return visit. Maybe we need to schedule an Eastman NW Jam session! ;)
(02-28-2018, 08:28 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: campajc, that's a great lineup of Eastman guitars.  How do you like the E8D?  If you've had it for a while, how has it changed over time?  I'd love to add one into the mix at some point.

Washington state is amazing!  I drove up there a dozen years ago, and then back down the entire Pacific coast over my birthday week a dozen-plus years ago.  Wish I could have spent a lot more time there and overdue for a return visit.  Maybe we need to schedule an Eastman NW Jam session!  Wink

Pura Vida
Over the 2 1/2 years that I've owned it, the E8D has improved its sound very nicely. What really got me was the way it sustains much longer than when it was new. The top is now a light orange color. I also use a ToneRite device on my guitars (https://www.guitarworld.com/acoustic-nat...ic-guitars). It vibrates the guitar top and strings and simulates years of playing in a shorter time. It might be controversial for traditionalists but it has gotten very good reviews and it does make a notable difference over, say, a few weeks.

As far as having a Jam here, I would LOVE that! I know I can learn a LOT from you guys. Here are a couple of things to consider for possible venues:

http://centrum.org/port-townsend-acousti...-workshop/

https://store.dustystrings.com/t-3-ms-jams.aspx

I'm sure there's a lot more like The Washington Old-Time Fiddler's (and guitar player's) Association, if I really did the research.

I love the "Great Northwest" and will retire and die in the Puget Sound area. Musically, there's a great variety to enjoy here. There is so much more than one would think, Rock, Country, Jazz, Blues, Classical, etc. You name it, it's here.

Keep on Keeping on! Cool

Attached Files

Hey Campacj,

Glad to read your introduction, and welcome again! I spent a number of years in the Seattle area, but being an Arizona native, I couldn't ever quite adjust to the NW weather personally. That said, it is very pretty - I particularly enjoyed taking the ferries across the water... and the San Juan islands are fantastic. Cool to hear that you are a Tommy Emmanuel fan - he's my all time favorite and a legend! Like you, I also play with my church band once a month on the weekends and enjoy it quite a bit.

By the way - you mention Tonerite... not sure if you saw this thread, but Pura Vida recently posted about his experiences here: https://www.eastmanguitarfans.com/Thread...lp-Or-Hype
Thanks for the feedback on your E8D.  I don't want to derail this thread too much, but long story short, as I've added Rosewood/Adi Eastman, I sold off other guitars with mahogany bodies and/or Sitka and Mahogany tops.  So, I planned to add an E8D in early 2018, but then two things happened:  (1.) my daughter began playing my Eastman ACTG1 (travel), which I planned to sell and (2.) I struck an unplanned deal on a second E40D.  So, the E8D plans are on hold (for now).

As for the Tonerite, I've had some success with it on my E20OM-SB (along with a combination of other factors; notably time and playing).  The volume and responsiveness have improved in 2018, but the tone is still a little harsh, so I'm experimenting with strings.  I think you mentioned Ernie Ball AB strings, which I just realized I'm out of, so I may try a set of NB instead (I have a set of Pearse and D'Addario NB strings).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Allow myself to introduce...myself 3DayPhunk 7 2,143 01-10-2019, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Wildfield