Introduce yourself!
(01-17-2018, 09:26 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Welcome, Stoli.  I always loved the ABB in all of its many forms.  I actually got to meet Jaimoe, Warren Haynes, Marc Quinones, and the late Allen Woody once.  Derek Trucks ended things on a high note and occasionally performs with Duane Allman's old LP Gold Top (as does Nels Cline of Wilco; the guitar goes out on loan).

Must have been a memorable experience.  I saw Warren Haynes with Railroad Earth here in Knoxville a couple of years ago and really appreciate his work as a player and songwriter.
Welcome Stoli, good to have you join. I've been playing for 45yrs and am a big fan of Justin Guitar. He has a great clip on fine tuning to the harmonics, showed me the how to. And his explain of diff types of arpeggio are very good.. bert
(01-17-2018, 09:38 PM)Stoli Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 09:26 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Welcome, Stoli.  I always loved the ABB in all of its many forms.  I actually got to meet Jaimoe, Warren Haynes, Marc Quinones, and the late Allen Woody once.  Derek Trucks ended things on a high note and occasionally performs with Duane Allman's old LP Gold Top (as does Nels Cline of Wilco; the guitar goes out on loan).

Must have been a memorable experience.  I saw Warren Haynes with Railroad Earth here in Knoxville a couple of years ago and really appreciate his work as a player and songwriter.

Yes, it was during the 1994 H.O.R.D.E. tour.  While another band was playing, they set up an impromptu jazz/blues session near a merch tent.  About 100 of us were able to squeeze into it before anyone caught on.  I remember Jaimoe being super cool and gracious, and all the others being nice too.  I shook Warren Haynes' hand and thanked him for some of the songs he wrote on "Where It All Begins," which had just come out at that time.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
In the late 60's I was going to computer school in Macon GA.  We used to go out to Central City Park on Sunday afternoons and listen to the Allmans Bros jam... free.  All I knew was Berry Oakley was the greatest bass player I had ever seen and the guy on the slide guitar was from another planet (Duane).  Then, Dickey Betts.... who are these guys was all anyone could say.  I didn't even know that Gregg, Butch, & Jaimoe existed for the first session or two.

those were the days my friends, we thought they would never end - mary hopkins 1968
Oh, yeah. You're in ABB territory... very cool. I know we're deviating way off topic, but I didn't realize that Duane and (I think) Berry got their break as session musicians at Muscle Shoals. There is a fantastic documentary on Netflix, if you get the chance to watch it.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
PV, it's a little off topic but I believe the more we know about each others influences & music styles, helps up understand each other. I watched a Tommy Emmanuel interview at Premier Guitars where he said that James Taylor was his big influence, not his guitar playing but the vibe he put into his music. Makes sense to me because guitar licks are not my big influence, Louis Armstrong and the Allstars vibe is so honest.... take some of that, bring it to guitar, and that'll do it for me.

In a million yrs, I couldn't play like Duane Allman or Tommy E, no reason to even try.

edit to add link to Tommy E..

https://youtu.be/0vkwZmOqGg0
Hell and Highwater and Greg Allman's autobiography are good reads on the ABB. Would have been really cool to see them when they got started.
Bert - you know I am a big Tommy fan! :) Thanks for posting that video of his rig, I plan to watch it!

Stoli, I posted on your PCH thread - but again, welcome to the EGF, glad you joined us.
I live in Louisville Kentucky. I have two Eastman guitars .... one is a 2004 800 roundhole archtop I use for Klezmer and jazz, the other is a slothead OM AC 512 for flatpicking and some fingerstyle. I play a little bit of everything from country blues to trad jazz.
(02-07-2018, 03:19 PM)Aviv91952 Wrote: I live in Louisville Kentucky. I have two Eastman guitars .... one is a 2004 800 roundhole archtop I use for Klezmer and jazz, the other is a slothead OM AC 512 for flatpicking and some fingerstyle. I play a little bit of everything from country blues to trad jazz.

Welcome Aviv. 

Always wanted to try one of those round (oval?) hole archtops!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Allow myself to introduce...myself 3DayPhunk 7 2,142 01-10-2019, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Wildfield