Eastman stops using Nitro switches to Truetone
As I'm looking at buying an E10ss/v, I was a little confused regarding the description of the finish. Previously it was decribed as Antique varnish but now the specification says Antique classic. Given the change over to Tru-tone from nitro, I was a little concerned that the finish of the ss/v had been changed, so I contacted Eastman. Their reply was:
"There has not been a change to our antique varnish finish. The "classic" would be referring to the color of the varnish which is a reddish brown shade.
Thank you,
Eastman Guitars"

Maybe it was just me who wan't clear, anyway I am now re-assured that all is still as it was.

not sure how much laquer or gloss is used on a varnish finish guitar but the best info i got from Eastman USA is that if the guitar was made >= 12/2020 then it would be Truetone.
hope that helps
Big-E, yeah, that's pretty confusing.  I think most of us have the Nitro to Truetone figured out, but it's good to get some clarification on the Antique Varnish finish.  Perhaps they'll add more color options, since they do more /v models in the Electric lineup.
Big-E likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
The colour on electrics  such as the Vintage Sunburst, has been achieved by spraying coloured nitro (now Truetone?) over varnish. It is mentioned by Pepijin t'Hart in this vid:-
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erp_wAEdTP0
Pura Vida likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
I’m an unfortunate event, I recently damaged the finish on my 2016 E10D. Had bug spray on my arm and found out the hard way that it eats through nitro. I wonder if the Truetone finish would have held up against this misstep on my end.
Welcome, FatBoy.  I'm not sure if Truetone (or any Poly finish) would be safe.  Insect repellant, deodorant, pool water... those can all damage a Nitro finish.  I got some marks on a few guitars from where my arm rubs on the bass side, likely from deodorant, so now, I wear a sleeve when I play.  Thanks to Uncle Jesse for that tip (and link to the sleeves on Amazon).
(09-29-2021, 08:51 AM)FatBoy Wrote: I’m an unfortunate event, I recently damaged the finish on my 2016 E10D. Had bug spray on my arm and found out the hard way that it eats through nitro. I wonder if the Truetone finish would have held up against this misstep on my end.

You and me both!  It really sucks when it happens. 

My E20OM met some deet and picardin on my porch shortly after purchase.  Along with a few other bumps it's now a guitar I can take anywhere and I don't worry about it.  It's just character now (and I use thermacells to keep the bugs away).
Pura Vida likes this post
Thermacells rule!  No spray and work for a radius, so you can protect others nearby.  We have two of them here and two down in CR (the old butane cartridge and the new design without the cartridge).
Vapour likes this post
I noted that when I was checking out specs. They now just say 'Gloss.' Got my curiousity up, so yeah.
Another manufacturer, Lakewood, used Truetone as well, I believe. I have a nice custom Lakewood 12 string, and when I asked if the finish was nitro, was told no. It's very thin and doesn't interfere with the guitar's vibration. Lakewood is based in Germany, their guitars aren't particularly cheap, my 12er cost a reckless amount for a 12 string 10 years ago. There's no way on earth I'd have bought that if it looked and sounded like it had been dipped in a vat of poly. Because of the price, I had assumed nitro. Nope.
AlanSam likes this post
2014 Martin D-28;
2013 Martin OM-21;
2009 Martin OOO-M;
2012 Lakewood M-34 12 Custom;
2020 Guild F40e;
2008 Lakewood M-18;
2007 Hanika 54PC.
2021 Eastman E1-D Cla.
2023 Yamaha FS-3.
and some electrics…
Truetone is exclusive to Eastman, based on Dana Bourgeois' formula that he's been using for 10+ years.  If another guitar maker has something called the same, it's unlikely to be the exact same material (unless they worked out a deal with Dana).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Truetone vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 14 10,950 12-07-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  Physical Test for Nitro vs Truetone TTiimm 13 4,960 05-26-2022, 11:49 AM
Last Post: TTiimm