Eastman stops using Nitro switches to Truetone
Re Donovantylers' comment 'I would like to see a demo comparing the visual results and also sound comparison(s).
Apples-to-apples pepsi taste challenge
.'  Ideally, from a customer (certainly my) perspective, it would have been preferable to introduce Truetone on some bottom of the range all solid acoustics first, and gauge the response. But Eastman have invested up front in the new process, and I suppose supporting two kinds of finishing (Nitro and Truetone) was a non-starter in terms of costs and logistics. Also, Eastman is a business not a democracy, and I guess the only effective way a candidate customer can express dissatisfaction is to vote with their feet. And anyway, I bet you some market research was conducted. Eastman have gone down in my estimation, but they still have a lot going for them. Would I consider buying a non-Nitro finished Eastman? I don't know.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
FYI I was trading some emails with Ted at LA Guitars because I am looking at a new model. I asked about the new finishes and this is what he replied:
Truetone has been around for a while, it was developed by Otto D'Ambrosio for his custom Eastmans a few years ago and he put a lot of time in it to get it right. We've had guitars in here with the new finish and found zero tonal or esthetic difference and we like that come winter we will have a slightly more durable finish to offer folks who don't enjoy our climate. Pretty much all finishes except varnish are now Truetone so our website is being updated as we get new guitars in.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Interesting stuff Tom! All this going on in the background. Seems like there must be a few people with (or about to receive) Truetone guitars who think they have Nitro - something should maybe be added to the label to differentiate them. You could argue that such examples will be rare, and if they like what they have then no problem. But I'm not so sure.
Alan
It's one thing if Eastman indicates the new finish on their sheets online and with their dealers (as they've done with their solid body electrics, which have two specific Truetone lines (Truetone Gloss and Truetone Vintage Gloss). But quickly glancing at their "Traditional Acoustic Dreads" listings online, under "Finish" all it states online is "Gloss" or "Satin" -- no mention as to whether it's Nitro or Truetone or anything else. I really hope they're not going to switch the finish and not tell those who are buying the guitars which finish they're getting. That would be, well, less than honest.
AlanSam likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
The Antique Varnish guitars have always had a thin coat of clear Violin Varnish over the top of coloured Nitro - I saw a NAMM 2019 vid explaining this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbClAM-updQ I wonder if is now Violin Varnish over Truetone? Or no Violin Varnish at all?
Alan
Fellows I need your advice..
Last week I sent an email to Artisan Guitars in Nashville who I bought my AC822CE from new on May 24 2021. The out-the-door prices was $2,130 with no tax, no shipping.
The date on the card that came with my guitar is April 06 2021.  I had just read on FB about the Truetone switch and there it said that the switch went into effect June 1 2021.  My guitar has a date of April 06 2021 so I thought that mine was definitely nitro.
Not only that but Artisan has a very nice web site where you buy and on that site there are pics of the actual guitar, detailed specs and the serial number of the actual guitar that you are buying. I have an image on my guitars page and it clearly says Nitrocellulose finish. I was very careful on that as I definitely wanted nitro, I would not have bought the guitar if it was not nitro and nitro is for me a big selling point to buying Eastman guitars.

Thought it was all settled and I was in the clear but last night i got a reply email from Artisan and they said that they spoke with their "rep" and he said that the change actually took place about 6 months ago and that my guitar was the new Truetone finish.  They are "very sorry".. the listing on the website was out of date and they didn't find out about the new finish until they got a memo from Eastman on May 29, etc... They will be happy to let me talk to the rep, etc...

Well, I'm kinda SUPER PISSED. This has so far been like a shell game.
I've got 3 Eastman acoustic guitars here.. bought two dreadnoughts used and each are about 1 year old and my new AC822CE and i've been going between them and touching them to see if I can feel a difference.  The two dreads have a lovely deep, shiny finish that feels very "un-plastic"  and almost has a tackiness to it (I love that). My new AC822CE seems to feel the same way.
The other thing is that the 822 has this (kind of powerful) lovely sweet smell.  The first week you could smell it all over the house.  Lovely experience.
It's not as pungent as a month ago but you can still smell it, i can smell it now.  Isn't that a hallmark of nitro?

Anyway.. Last night (when i was having an inner temper-tantrum) I sent the question about my guitar to Eastman using their "ask us anything" page on their website and I haven't heard back yet.
I replied to Artisan that they need to be certain about this and if it is in fact not nitro, I want a refund and I will ship the guitar back to them.
I do like the guitar but I don't know about truetone, how it will age.. right now it depreciates the value of the guitar (at least in my mind) and IT'S THE PRINCIPAL as well.
Please advise fellows! thanks Smile
You are well justified in being upset. I wouldn't be surprised if Eastman with their chaotic recording system didn't know themselves which guitars were which. The sure way to tell if it is Nitro is to find an out of the way area of the guitar and dab it with a little acetone - clear nail varnish remover will do - and if it dissolves then it is Nitro. BUT of course you  don't want to do this because it might compromise your position re a refund or exchange.

I share your anger. What really annoys me is that if Gibson, Martin or Taylor behaved like this we would say it was typical of big business to treat their customers like mushrooms - keep them in the dark and dump on them. Forgive my language, but Eastman have got a F*****G nerve!
donovantyler and sleigh like this post
Alan
Does anyone know when they made the switch!?
I heard June 1st now Artisan says that their rep says 6 months ago..
This is not cool!
Not cool at all. Beyond being a moral imperative to be honest with customers about their products, it is a legal obligation?
Alan
(07-14-2021, 05:23 AM)donovantyler Wrote: The date on the card that came with my guitar is April 06 2021.  I had just read on FB about the Truetone switch and there it said that the switch went into effect June 1 2021.  My guitar has a date of April 06 2021 so I thought that mine was definitely nitro.

Remember the date on the card does not necessarily equate to when the guitar was built.  When you communicate with Eastman, you need to tell them the serial number.

I bought an E20P in late March of this year.  The card had a Mar11, 2021 date.  I was fairly sure that the guitar wasn't built and delivered in a eleven day time span, so I sent them both the date on the card and the serial number.

They replied that my guitar was built in 2020, so it was definitely nitro.  I guess that doesn't contradict what they told you.

Just out of curiosity, what are the first 4 characters of your serial number?  Mine is M200......
It never moves any faster than it's supposed to go - Taj Mahal

2017 Waterloo WL-14X
2019 Martin 000-18
2021 Eastman E20P
2022 Martin 000-16
The Loar LO-215-SN
Yamaha FG-331

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Truetone vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 14 10,943 12-07-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  Physical Test for Nitro vs Truetone TTiimm 13 4,957 05-26-2022, 11:49 AM