Truetone vs. Nitro Finish
Although they began the rolling change several months earlier, we are about a year into buying guitars with the new Truetone finish.  For those who've owned both, have you noticed any differences in appearance?  In protection from dings or scratches?  Does it feel lighter, heavier... can you even feel a difference?

And I'm particularly interested in how Truetone tops will change in color vs. Nitro.  Will natural tops darken faster, slower, not at all (does Truetone contain any UV protectant?)?

I'll share my thoughts later, but wanted to hear from other EGF members first, so I don't make this OP too long.  Smile
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Hi Pura,

I don't have a Truetone Eastman but I did own an E20D-TC for a year from the nitro years and have now owned a Bourgeois D Vintage for close to a year. The finish on the Bourgeois is showing little pin prick spots from the pores on the rosewood. While this might disturb some owners, I see it as evidence of a finish that was applied as thin as possible while still protecting the guitar. The top is cooked adi and I detect no change in color, but it was already a nice creamy amber to begin with. The grain lines are just beginning to telegraph through to the surface, so the catalyzed finish is shrinking back, but not as much as on my Martin or previous Eastman.

On acoustic instruments it is well accepted that a thicker finish suppresses tone. Also that a softer finish can mute the highs. This is part of why vintage guitars have such sparkle in their tone. Really old nitro has become really thin and hard, if not brittle. The catalyzed finish will cure/harden WAY faster than nitro. I've put both kinds of finishes on instruments and and see no disadvantages to using a modern finish.
Pura Vida likes this post
How would one know what finish has been applied? 

My new E10OM-TC did not come with the COA, so not exactly sure when it was made.
Roger
Roger
if you are in the US contact [email protected] with the S/N and request a COA. They will probably send you one. From my understanding, if your guitar was made in 2020 it is probably nitro. If it was made in early 2021, it could be either. And if it was made in late 2021 or after it is probably Truetone finish. I might be a little off.

TomC

(05-22-2022, 01:25 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: Although they began the rolling change several months earlier, we are about a year into buying guitars with the new Truetone finish.  For those who've owned both, have you noticed any differences in appearance?  In protection from dings or scratches?  Does it feel lighter, heavier... can you even feel a difference?

And I'm particularly interested in how Truetone tops will change in color vs. Nitro.  Will natural tops darken faster, slower, not at all (does Truetone contain any UV protectant?)?

I'll share my thoughts later, but wanted to hear from other EGF members first, so I don't make this OP too long.  Smile

PV
My only current Eastmans are a 2018 E40OM and 2021 AC522CE. About the only difference in the finish I can perceive is that the E40's looks/feels thicker. The other "Truetone" finished guitars that I have had, were similar - thinner finish. I didn't notice any propensity to be susceptible to dents or scratches. I really can't respond to your other questions, as I honestly don't know.
TomC
Pura Vida likes this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Thanks Tom, I'll check it out.
Roger
(05-22-2022, 07:29 AM)R22 Wrote: How would one know what finish has been applied? 

My new E10OM-TC did not come with the COA, so not exactly sure when it was made.

I didn't get a COA with the E40D I bought last year. Eastman told me via e-mail that I needed to work with the dealer. Not gonna do that. Bought my last two Eastman's elsewhere. That same guitar came with low action(too low) and 13's not 12's. I made a new saddle and fixed that issue myself. Not every dealer is my cup of tea. The first Eastman I purchased from the dealer should have gone to the 'used' bin. Eastman and the dealer let me down on that one. I just kept it and kept my mouth shut. Would have had to pay shipping both ways on a then $800 guitar. So, that would have meant $200 to $300 spent with Nothing to show for it.
I have a 2016 E40D and a 2021 E6D TC Alpine.
The nitro E40D defiantly is easier to scratch. The back clearly shows the fine marks and swirls that I guess are from shirt cloth and buttons. The top gets dented fairly easily. The finish looks just like my 2003 Martin D41 Special. The two guitars actually sound quite similar also.
The E6D while much newer semis to not be getting the swirls and marks in the back. The top also still die sent have many marks. The finish does feel a little different. I don’t want to say plasticity, but that’s the best way I can think of to describe it. It seems much harder. It’s not like the finis on my Taylor guitars either.
I don’t have much experience with Dana’s guitars, I will check the finish in some when I next visit Martin music here in Memphis.
But whatever the difference in the finish is it’s certainly not hurting the sound of the E6D. It is easily one of my best sounding guitars.
Only time will tell about the top color. My E40D has a very white looking adi top, I try to leave it in the sun lite sometimes to give it a “tan”.
The E6D, although Thermvured, is pretty light colored also.
Next to my Martins with aging toner the both look almost white!
I am kinda old fashioned and like nitro, I got my E6 before the announced the change, but it sounded so good I was not unhappy about it!!
Eastman
2016 E40d
2021 E6D-TC Alpine Swiss top
Martin
2003 D41 Special
2003 D18
1998 SPD-16R
1970 0018
Gibson
2016 J-15
1965 J-50 ADJ
Laravie
1991 Larivee C-09
Taylor
2000 810B LOTF
2000 410MACE LOTF
2000 310kce LOTF

11 Alvarez Yairi

Many many others

I’ve had a gold top mandolin with the Truetone finish and it’s a nice finish. If I had to describe the appearance, I would say it looks in the middle of nitro and poly. Not quite as “plastic” as poly, and not quite as “rich” as nitro. That mandolin sure sounded pretty sweet. Truetone looks much thicker than nitro but that is a very uneducated opinion.
Thanks for the great discussion.  I've had two guitars with Truetone for almost one year.  Both are TC Alpine models, which are very light for TC models, which is what was driving my color change questions.  After a year, I haven't noticed much of a change, but these things are gradual anyway, so it's hard to tell unless I compare my NGD photos to now (and even that's subject to lighting consistency).  Now, I've gotten the AC622CE, which is Euro Spruce and non-TC, so I expect to see and notice the color changes more easily.

As for the finish itself, I had a difficult time noticing the difference between Nitro on my other guitars and the Truetone on these newer models.  They seemed similar to me, although maybe I noticed some difference on the necks (they seem less glossy).  All three guitars are very responsive, but so is my 2019 E10OM, which was the last new guitar I purchased before they switched finishes.

Bottom line: I can't tell much of a difference between the Nitro and Truetone finishes, which is probably a good thing, if the Truetone holds up as well or better than Nitro, in terms of protection, avoiding cracks, chips, scratches, etc.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I’ve own three Eastmans; a 2021 DT-30D, a 2022 MDO-305, and a 2022 MD-815.  My thinking is that all three are Tru-Tone; both by the dates of “authenticity” and the general appearance of the finishes.  I have three Martins finished in nitro to compare the Eastmans to.  The quality of application is nearly equal between the two brands.  The Eastman finishes “seem” harder and are more resistant to sweat than the Martins.  My Eastman finishes are level and the pores well filled, as are the Martins.  

I am satisfied with my Eastman Tru-tone finishes.  They are well applied and the instruments sound good.  I feel that the finishes offer good protection and I take my Eastmans where I wouldn’t take the Martins.

My Martins include a 2020 D-18 MD, a 2021 CEO-7 and 1929 Style 20 mandolin with clean original lacquer finish.
Guzzi Fan likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman stops using Nitro switches to Truetone Shishigashira 94 43,970 07-21-2023, 01:35 AM
Last Post: nobodeuno
  Physical Test for Nitro vs Truetone TTiimm 13 4,961 05-26-2022, 11:49 AM
Last Post: TTiimm
  Nitro finish change? TerryD 5 5,972 03-30-2022, 04:38 AM
Last Post: RoyBoy