Physical Test for Nitro vs Truetone
(05-24-2022, 10:21 AM)REHII Wrote: I can tell you bug spray is bad stuff.
Not sure why but it hates plastic and finishes.
I have seen guitar finish ruined by it.
I have a 1970 mustang that has wood grain looking plastic on the dash. 30 years ago a friend sprayed “off” while in the car. Everywhere it got on the plastic or plastic wood looked melted and bubbled. I had to replace all the plastic parts of the dash on the osssenger side.
When I’m at an outdoor jam or festival and I even smell bug spray I get freaked out about by guitar.
And as far as finishes on guitars, I do like nitro, it’s what I’m used to, but if something better comes along I will accept it!

Spraying something on your skin that melts plastic...what could go wrong?  I wish there was something else that was effective for bugs.
Eastman E6OM-TC LTD Alpine Spruce
Eastman AC308CE LTD
Alvarez Yairi WY1TS
Taylor GS Mini
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple

(05-26-2022, 07:35 AM)TerryD Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 10:21 AM)REHII Wrote: I can tell you bug spray is bad stuff.
Not sure why but it hates plastic and finishes.
I have seen guitar finish ruined by it.
I have a 1970 mustang that has wood grain looking plastic on the dash. 30 years ago a friend sprayed “off” while in the car. Everywhere it got on the plastic or plastic wood looked melted and bubbled. I had to replace all the plastic parts of the dash on the osssenger side.
When I’m at an outdoor jam or festival and I even smell bug spray I get freaked out about by guitar.
And as far as finishes on guitars, I do like nitro, it’s what I’m used to, but if something better comes along I will accept it!

Spraying something on your skin that melts plastic...what could go wrong?  I wish there was something else that was effective for bugs. 

Thermacells work really well as an mosquito-area-denial device.  I play most evenings on my Memphis TN porch through the summer and this keeps the bugs off of me.
Pura Vida likes this post
+1 for the Thermacell.  Insects are surprisingly worse at home than in the tropics, so we use a Thermocell at both locations.  The only time we still use the spray is when we are in Costa Rica at sunset, when the insects are in full force and the Thermocell is not effective when walking on the beach.  But it's great for the backyard, and we have a ceiling fan in our back patio (air movement is good for keeping bugs away).
Vapour likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Just because something is bad for plastic doesn't mean it is bad for human skin, and vice versa. Non-sequitur.

I would not put anti-perspirant on my guitar, nor would I use Virtuoso guitar polish to clean my armpits. We have to be realistic.

That said, OFF was developed in 1957. It's DEET. No thanks.

I did not know about the Thermacell. Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

I use Picardin when I ride bicycles or backpack in the mountains of North Georgia during the late summer and early fall. The flies look like F-22's and the itch from their bites will drive you mad. Picardin is the lesser of two evils. Used sparingly and when necessary, it isn't going to kill me or make me sick. I know that because I once accidentally brushed my teeth with the stuff after a 70 mile day on the bike carrying 35 lb of camping gear and food. I was pretty tired and mistook the small container for toothpaste. Tastes like crap but I'm still here.

My guess is that Trutone - whatever the exact product is - is more resistant to household chemicals and personal hygiene products than is nitrocellulos. If my E10OM is Truetone then intend to find out exactly how resistant it is when the pick guard is removed. So far the strings are lasting a long time though so no telling when that will be. I will report back though.
================================
Always do the easy and cheap thing first.
================================

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman stops using Nitro switches to Truetone Shishigashira 94 43,822 07-21-2023, 01:35 AM
Last Post: nobodeuno
  Truetone vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 14 10,928 12-07-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida