What other acoustic brands do you own?
I was window shopping guitars on the net - as I am wont to do, and spotted an interesting looking guitar. It's the Martin 000-17 Whiskey Sunset. Have any of you played one of these? Any views?
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Alan, I haven't played one, yet, but I've liked what I've seen and heard online.
AlanSam likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I had a 2014 000-17SM, it was honduran mahog/sitka.  It was a 12fret slothead and very good.  They discontinued that model and since have changed it to a 14fret sipo or sapele w/sitka and satin finish... much less ~same cost. 

The latest 000-17 is a good guitar, but.... the Furch OM I picked up 3-4wks ago is better construction and a superior quality guitar (~ same price range).  Martin's 'simple dovetail' neck joint is not in the same league with the Furch CNR (neck) System, or ebony fretboard/bridge, etc.  My good friend bought a 17 ~ 18mos ago, two months later sold it.

If you can find one at a no lose price?

bert
AlanSam and Pura Vida like this post
My wife and I have:
Eastman AJ816
Eastman AJ817-12 String
Pogreba single cone resonator
Collings D1AT
Gibson J35 Fuller's
Blueridge BR240A
Pura Vida likes this post
I have been busy these last few years buying and selling steel string acoustics. I currently own :-
Eastman E20P
Eastman E10ooss/v
Eastman E8D
Eastman AC630 BD
Martin 000-28 (2008)
Larrivee SD-50 Tobacco Burst (2005)
Collings OM1 1 3/4”

I briefly owned a brand new Gibson J45 Vintage, Vintage Sunburst with its torrified addy top, but got rid quickly due to the ‘deadness’ from the fourth fret up – sounded like cardboard. How this got out of Gibson's so-called ‘custom shop’ I don’t know. I suspect they do produce some really good guitars but by chance rather than design. I guess the Gibson corporate/mass production mind-set is endemic across all its production processes. By all accounts Taylor do mass production better – but I suppose electronics can hide a multitude of sins. The J45 I bought would never have gotten out of Eastman, never mind Collings. So, as I say, I got rid of the J45 and bought a Collings OM1 for pretty much the same price – and what a beauty it is! One final observation about the J45. The VOS (Vintage Original Specifications) finish, which is Gibson's take on artificial ageing, might be a good representation of how a genuine vintage Gibson looks, but I can’t help thinking how much more pleasing the Eastman take on this ‘vintage’ thing is.
Pura Vida likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
I disqualified myself from this thread by selling off all of my non-Eastman guitars.  The only survivors are in the electric category.  I have a 2001 Brian Moore i1, plus my kids have a Squier Modified Jaguar and an Epi LP.
aant, Zissou Intern, Meathead like this post
In the "Bang for Buck" area I used to be a strong Seagull fan—decent guitars at a very decent price. That's no longer the case. Their prices have gone up, the build quality and the electronics they use in the acoustic-electics seem to have gone down, and the line in general has lost focus. Anyone else feel the same?
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
+1 Alan
Sign at the front of the Gibson factory, 'Under New Management".  They got caught up living in the glory days.

You made a grand decision to snag the OM1.  Collings OM1 and D1 are two of their most fab guitars they build, so is my CJmhA.  I bought my 2008 CJ at a fair price a bit over 2yrs ago.  It's not for sale but with the June 1 price increase, it has turned out to be both  a great guitar and sound investment.

You've got a wonderful, diverse selection which is the way to go imo.  bert
Zissou Intern and AlanSam like this post
Stephen, agreed.  For the Artist series, they replaced their QII dual-mic system with an LR Baggs Element, and also changed the fretboards from Rosewood and Ebony to Richlite.  I think they realized that price increases would move their guitars into different categories, and thereby, lose some of their "value" factor, so they tried to find ways to avoid those price increases.  The S6 is their #1 seller, so as long as they keep it under $500 street, they will be ok.
sleigh likes this post
I currently have two non-Eastman guitars, a 000-15m and a 00-18 Martin. What i have found interesting is some days i only play my Martin's and on even numbered days my Eastman's. When i do mix em' it's the 00's that get all attention. Just about three months in now with my E10 00 and i believe that i finally found the perfect fingerstyle guitar that clicks every box for me, wide string spacing, short scale, 12 fret slot head, small but so very comfortable to play, the combo of woods, adi over mahogany and last but not least the tone this little guy puts out!  

My Martin's i'll never part with except maybe going down from 000 to 00 on my 15 series. I'm getting too old (turned 68 in March) to constantly change my guitar lineup and besides i like the mix of models i have.
sleigh, Zissou Intern, Bert, Pura Vida like this post
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NAMM 2019 - Other brands new models Bert 3 1,734 01-28-2019, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Bert