String Prices & Deals
It was time for a new set of strings for my E10OM TC. After reading this and a couple of comments in other places, I decided to try the NBs. My first reactions border on "MEH" and what the ??. I do hope they settle in. I previously had it strung with DR Rares. I realize that it is a very big difference NBs-PBs and I really liked the Rares on this guitar. The reason for the change is am just learning to experiment with strings and different types of pics (thickness and tip design). I am amazed at how you can alter the sound of a guitar by changing these two things. Sorry to hijack the thread.
TomC
Pura Vida likes this post
Tom,

They are def a different sound, but dang, I love them! PB’s (EJ17) are my normal go-to, but the NB strings are some of my faves. As it turns out, I’ve never been happy with DR, so it’s def a matter of personal taste! Hope you find some that suit you!
Treenewt,

2018 Larrivee OM-03
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2019 Eastman E2D-CD

The Wading Pool 

hey Tom, in my experience NB are like other strings.. they take a few days to a week to settle in.  The winding is PB, just coated with a thin nickel.  I tend to go back/forth between NB/PB these days for a change of pace. bert
I come and go with NB, as well.  They never sound as bold and warm as a fresh set of PB strings, but they have a clean and clear tone to them, which is really nice on some guitars (but dulls some others).  I've found the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze to be a nice go-between, if you're looking to try something else in that ballpark.  I couldn't do Retros, and DR Rare worked well on my Mahogany guitars... but I'm liking my GHS strings on them even more!

BTW, no thread derail worries... this can be our de-facto string thread to discuss what works, doesn't... where to get deals, etc.  And if someone finds a good ongoing price, call it out, and I'll add it to the original post.
Bert likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Thanks everyone for the comments. I will play them a bit and see how things progress. They strike me as louder and more in your face for whatever that may mean to the listener. 
I had a Taylor 516e FLTD that I thought was too muted of all things. I put a set of Ball ABs and it really woke up the guitar. I still didn't like it though and set it free to someone who was just giddy about the sound. 

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate EGF as a source for knowledge, stories and recommendations,
BLUE CHIP PICKS....

Free Shipping to the USA and Free engraving for everyone for Happy Fathers Day, their text:

June 7 through Sunday night at 11:59pm we are offering free shipping to the US and free engraving on picks and pick boxes. No coupon necessary. Just choose free shipping and/or free engraving. (Engraving is permanent and engraved picks are not returnable.

My love for dogs continues -- there's a Bert TD45 pick plus ones for my late friends Rimshot & Lucille.  I just ordered a custom TD41 (no extra charge) to be engraved with 'Bubba' who was with me for 13yrs.  

https://shop.bluechippick.net/

[Image: YfukuMJ.jpg]
(05-24-2019, 12:25 PM)TomC Wrote: Thanks everyone for the comments. I will play them a bit and see how things progress. They strike me as louder and more in your face for whatever that may mean to the listener. 
I had a Taylor 516e FLTD that I thought was too muted of all things. I put a set of Ball ABs and it really woke up the guitar. I still didn't like it though and set it free to someone who was just giddy about the sound. 

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate EGF as a source for knowledge, stories and recommendations,

So like Bert suggested I gave them some time to settle in. I took them off last night after two weeks and went back to the DR Rares. I am not implying in any way that they are bad strings, I just prefer a different sound. I am enjoying the learning curve of trying new/different.
Pura Vida and Bert like this post
Strings and Beyond is running a 15% off sale again for Father's Day

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/
I ordered 10 sets of DARCO 12-54s from MyFavoriteGuitars for around $30 as an experiment.  Don't know how long they'll last but after two weeks they still sound good on my AC422C.  I was very pleasantly surprised

​​​​​​i ordered 10 more sets today

myfavoriteguitars.com/10-sets-Darco-220-Light-Gauge-Phosphor-Bronze-strings.html

slowesthand likes this post
Tom

Eastman AC422ce
2016 Martin D42
Taylor 814ce DLX
2018 Martin OM-28 modern deluxe
'68 Blond Fender Telecaster with 68 Gibson Humbucker
So who makes Darco strings?  C.F. Martin, that's who.  So I am not surprised by the excellent sound.  And at $3.00 a set from MyFavoriteuitars you can change them often
​​
They are $4.50 at Strings and beyond but less than $3.00 in sets of 10 from Jon Garon

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/darco-s...%20Strings
Tom

Eastman AC422ce
2016 Martin D42
Taylor 814ce DLX
2018 Martin OM-28 modern deluxe
'68 Blond Fender Telecaster with 68 Gibson Humbucker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black Friday Deals SasquatchLife 7 2,651 11-02-2020, 05:59 AM
Last Post: gustavowoltmann
  BF / CM Deals Pura Vida 0 940 11-29-2019, 01:59 PM