Nitro finish change?
I saw a comment in a forum, could have been this one, that Eastman recently changed the type of finish they're using on guitars they've used nitro cellulose on in the past.  Anyone know if this is the case?
Eastman E6OM-TC LTD Alpine Spruce
Eastman AC308CE LTD
Alvarez Yairi WY1TS
Taylor GS Mini
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple

Hi Terry - here is the thread:

https://www.eastmanguitarfans.com/Thread...o-Truetone
(03-28-2022, 02:02 PM)Meathead Wrote: Hi Terry - here is the thread:

https://www.eastmanguitarfans.com/Thread...o-Truetone

Thanks Meathead.  Now, do you know if time of construction is coded in to the serial number like with Taylors?  I bought my first two Eastmans in February of this year and my third this month.  Considering the inventory problems these days I'm assuming they all have the new finish but time of construction to the dealer can some times be a while.
Eastman E6OM-TC LTD Alpine Spruce
Eastman AC308CE LTD
Alvarez Yairi WY1TS
Taylor GS Mini
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple

The AC622CE I received in January definitely has the new varnish. It looks and feels different than nitro. It is lighter in feel with a different gloss and feel to the touch.
2021 Eastman AC622CE
2020 Eastman E40OM
2020 Eastman AC308CE (Limited Edition)
2020 Martin HD-28
2021 Eastman PCH3-GACE
2004 Gibson Les Paul Studio, wine red
1999 Taylor 714 custom, Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood
Terry, they made the switch from Nitro to Truetone, beginning in late 2020 and rolling by model throughout 2021.  So, if you have a guitar from 2020 or earlier, it's likely Nitro, 2021 can go either way, and 2022 are most likely Truetone.  The serial numbers changed in 2020, so if yours doesn't begin with M20 or M21 (example 1295xxxx), then it's pre-2020.  The M20 and M21 are supposed to align more closely to the year, although it still doesn't seem 100% easy to decipher.

As for the finish, I have Truetone on my two Alpine TC dreads.  I couldn't tell much of a difference, and the new finish seems fine.  I'm assuming the Poly finish will hold up better over time, and I'm curious how it will do with exposure to indirect sunlight.  Will the guitar get more color?  Will the finish color change at all (some finishes can get yellow)?
sleigh likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
The Truetone finish is actually a catalyzed finish from the cyanoacrylic family. Be catalyzed, it achieves a level of hardness in a few weeks that would take traditional nitro lacquer 20 years to reach. I've used a similar catalyzed finish on both furniture and instruments, and besides being much more durable, it also adds a brighter attack and sparkle. A softer finish (which nitro is when first applied) will dampen higher frequencies.

I have a new Bourgeois D Vintage and the tone is amazing. Dana wouldn't be using this finish if it compromised the tone he's famous for producing.
Pura Vida, Glory, sleigh, Mitch like this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Truetone vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 14 11,151 12-07-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  Nitro finish RoyBoy 15 5,662 08-15-2020, 05:55 PM
Last Post: UncleJesse
  French Polish vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 13 6,805 12-12-2018, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Bert