Nitro finish
I have a new E20D-TC which I am thoroughly enjoying. It's my first rosewood dred and my first nitro finished guitar. I've been building mandolins for quite awhile and spray several different kinds of finish, including nitrocellulose.

My question is this: Does anyone know any details about the nitro finish Eastman is putting on these instruments. My guitar doesn't have much of that sweet smell I associate with nitro and it sounds quite good for an instrument that hasn't aged. I wonder if they're using a newer catalyzed nitro that cures faster. The guitar's been living on a Hercules stand for 3 weeks straight with no reaction.

Should I expect this guitar's sound to "open up" and become more crystalline over the next few years as the lacquer sinks in and becomes one with the wood?
Eastman is notoriously tight-lipped on these specifics.  I leave my guitars on Hercules stands and racks without any issues.  As for whether your TC guitar will continue to open up, several users here have owned TC guitars and said the guitar continued to improve over time.  Even though the top is torrified, the back and side will continue to age, and as you mention, the finish will continue to cure.  I'm convinced that part of the opening up process is related to finish curing, braces adjusting, and general "settling" of the guitar.
RoyBoy likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
While I don't know details on the nitro finish I can say without hesitation that both DEET and Picardin are VERY bad for the finish.
Add pool water (chlorine) and deodorant to the danger list.  And maybe even perspiration / body heat for some people.  These things aren't specific to Eastman, but to most/all Nitro finishes.
(07-23-2020, 10:00 AM)RoyBoy Wrote: I have a new E20D-TC which I am thoroughly enjoying. It's my first rosewood dred and my first nitro finished guitar. I've been building mandolins for quite awhile and spray several different kinds of finish, including nitrocellulose.

My question is this: Does anyone know any details about the nitro finish Eastman is putting on these instruments. My guitar doesn't have much of that sweet smell I associate with nitro and it sounds quite good for an instrument that hasn't aged. I wonder if they're using a newer catalyzed nitro that cures faster. The guitar's been living on a Hercules stand for 3 weeks straight with no reaction.

Should I expect this guitar's sound to "open up" and become more crystalline over the next few years as the lacquer sinks in and becomes one with the wood?
You won't get any reaction with Hercules. they're the best out there imo
Pura Vida likes this post
A third vote for the Hercules stands. Though I don't leave my guitars on stands for days at a time, I do use Hercules stands for gig where the guitars are sitting on them several hours. I've never had any finish issues with them with my nitro finish Eastmans—and they're very sturdy.
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
I have a hercules stand. I leave my e20-om out most of the time in my humidity controlled guitar room, except for the dead of winter. It's been over a year and there have been no finish issues.
I have found Eastman's nitro finish is susceptible to many types of moisture including sweat, bug spray, suntan oil, skin creams etc. I have suffered minimal finish damage to both of my Eastman's over time. I do use a finish wax especially made for nitro finishes which I have found does protect the finish better than ordinary cleaners and waxes. Of course wearing a clean long sleeve is the best protection but not always practical. The nitro finish on my Martin 18 series seems much better suited for the everyday exposure of moisture, chemicals and not so soft clothes we expose our guitars too.
RoyBoy likes this post
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
These were recommended to me, and I've been using them daily:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073TWJ7LL

About $10 and available in a variety of colors.  Smile
AlanSam and UncleJesse like this post
(07-24-2020, 11:53 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: These were recommended to me, and I've been using them daily:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073TWJ7LL

About $10 and available in a variety of colors.  Smile

Interesting. Those look like the things we used for winter training to keep our arms warm back when I used to race bicycles. 

I don't have that problem with my Eastmans, but my Gibson J-45 will leave a sweat mark everytime I play it if I don't wipe it down really well immediately afterwards. Maybe I should see if I still have some of those laying around.

Alternatively, back in my trying to play classical guitar days, we used a tube sock with the toe cut out. Same concept.
Pura Vida likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Truetone vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 14 11,089 12-07-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  Nitro finish change? TerryD 5 6,019 03-30-2022, 04:38 AM
Last Post: RoyBoy
  French Polish vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 13 6,791 12-12-2018, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Bert