Eastman stops using Nitro switches to Truetone
Seems like Eastman has stopped using Nitro finish on any guitar and instead switched to a urethane finish they call Truetone. The Facebook group posted a message from Eastman confirming the switch effective in late May early June this year. I'll see if I can copy the full Eastman response later.
Joey Essoldo likes this post
2020 Eastman E10SS/V; 2020 Eastman E2D; 2020 Yamaha FS830; 2021 Farida OT-22W; 2022 Alvarez MD60BG; 2022 AC630 SB; 2023 Eastman AC622CE
At Eastman we are tirelessly looking for new and better ways to handcraft the best guitars and mandolins in the world. In this pursuit, no detail is too small and no idea is too big.
It is with this mission in mind that we are excited to share with you the creation of a superior and environmentally friendly finish called Truetone. Just as thin and great sounding as our previous nitrocellulose finish, this new topcoat offers maximum protection for the fretted instrument while consciously minimizing the footprint it leaves on our planet.
The most difficult challenge we faced when developing this new finish was finding the delicate balance between hardness and flexibility that didn't compromise the resonance or signature tone that makes an Eastman. By implementing a two part modified urethane topcoat we emerged with Truetone - a finish that never sacrifices the sound of tradition.
Effective immediately, we now offer Truetone on all Eastman gloss and satin finished acoustics, electrics, and mandolins, completing our new lineup of signature finishes:
Truetone Satin
Truetone Vintage Gloss
Truetone Gloss
Antique Varnish
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact your Eastman Sales Representative. We look forward to hearing this evolution of sound in your shops soon.
Thank you,
the Eastman team
AlanSam and Shishigashira like this post
It never moves any faster than it's supposed to go - Taj Mahal

2017 Waterloo WL-14X
2019 Martin 000-18
2021 Eastman E20P
2022 Martin 000-16
The Loar LO-215-SN
Yamaha FG-331

My first response is “yikes” … I guess I will actually have to play one to make a determination, but that thin nitro finish is a big part of the Eastman sound. I think I’m a little concerned. What do you all think?
AlanSam and Zissou Intern like this post
Yes, bit of a shock! The statement above refers to 'green' issues which is politically correct. BUT - I am a bit of a cynic and view such radical changes as being driven by $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Also, does this point to Eastman gearing up to boost output, and if so what is next? Rolling back 'hands on construction'? And I wonder if people have already bought any of the new 'Poly Eastmans' believing they were Nitro finished?  

Eastman are apparently going to continue with their antique varnish finishes. Thing is, these are currently finished with nitro over the top - I saw one of the NAM vids where Pepin t'Hart stated this (he came up with the idea), so the obvious question is, is this option going to be finished with poly over the violin varnish? Using Nitro may be viewed in some quarters as anachronistic, but that's a large part of Eatman's appeal.

And what about the forth coming Eastman-Bourgeois range? I wonder what Dana thinks? 

The best outcome would be that a thin layer of Poly will not sound worse than a thin layer of Nitro, whilst being a tougher finish. But there is no way Poly will age as beautifully as Nitro. 

So - hang on to your Nitro Eastmans. They will almost certainly become especially sought after.

Am I happy about this? Absolutely not! Maybe it's a joke - hope so!
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
You will be made to submit, Mr. Meathead - the Overlords have decreed that no sacrifice is too great in service to reduction of our Global Footprint.....
I'll point folks to the excellent discussion AlanSam found over at Luthier talk. My summary of it is that the magic of nitro finish was that it was thin, and luthiers can now do that with Urethane and end up with a better product. I suspect no one will be able to tell the difference in tone.

https://www.luthiertalk.com/threads/the-...ishes.239/

(07-11-2021, 07:07 AM)AlanSam Wrote: And what about the forth coming Eastman-Bourgeois range? I wonder what Dana thinks? 

Well here's an article from Dana on finishes where he's mostly criticizing nitro, so I think he's already a convert to modern finishes.
https://bourgeoisguitars.com/guitar-guru...ects-tone/
AlanSam and Mike10SS like this post
2020 Eastman E10SS/V; 2020 Eastman E2D; 2020 Yamaha FS830; 2021 Farida OT-22W; 2022 Alvarez MD60BG; 2022 AC630 SB; 2023 Eastman AC622CE
(07-11-2021, 07:18 AM)Paul O'Donnell Wrote: You will be made to submit, Mr. Meathead - the Overlords have decreed that no sacrifice is too great in service to reduction of our Global Footprint.....

Paul - I suspect the strongest 'green' argument against Nitro is its toxicity, although modern Nitro is very different from the Nitro of yesteryear in this respect. And Poly has a footprint too
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Interesting new indeed. I'll reserve judgement until I can play one and feel it, but my gut reaction is the guitars won't be as desirable as the nitro ones.
Interesting timing of this thread. I had just read the older post from Luthier Talk about the differences between nitro and poly referenced above. I found one point the author made about the original use of poly to be interesting:

"as a general rule, Nitro has a build of 30% solids.. that's the stuff we see as the shiny finish when its all done.. and approximately 70% solvents that's the toxic stuff that evaporates into the air around us.... Polys on the other hand are almost the reserve of that.. with nearly a 70% solid build and 30% solvents.. so you can see easily how the thick finishes associated with the early polys came about."

So if finishers were originally applying the poly at the same rate as nitro you could end up with a thick heavy top finish after solvent evaporation. More than likely most manufacturers who use poly have improved their processes to account for the lower evaporation - Taylor for example. Furch has also "perfected" the finish material with a proprietary UV hardened lacquer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EpCWoKfuFA Probably a little bit of marketing in there. 

IMHO - the proof will be in the finished product.
sleigh and AlanSam like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
(07-11-2021, 07:45 AM)Shishigashira Wrote: I'll point folks to the excellent discussion AlanSam found over at Luthier talk. My summary of it is that the magic of nitro finish was that it was thin, and luthiers can now do that with Urethane and end up with a better product. I suspect no one will be able to tell the difference in tone.

https://www.luthiertalk.com/threads/the-...ishes.239/

(07-11-2021, 07:07 AM)AlanSam Wrote: And what about the forth coming Eastman-Bourgeois range? I wonder what Dana thinks? 

Well here's an article from Dana on finishes where he's mostly criticizing nitro, so I think he's already a convert to modern finishes.
https://bourgeoisguitars.com/guitar-guru...ects-tone/ 

Bourgeois has been using catalyzed urethane finishes for some time as far as I know.
AlanSam and Shishigashira like this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Truetone vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 14 10,387 12-07-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  Physical Test for Nitro vs Truetone TTiimm 13 4,812 05-26-2022, 11:49 AM
Last Post: TTiimm