French Polish vs. Nitro Finish
Eastman's Antique Varnish series uses a much thinner French Polish finish, which makes the guitar more responsive and provides an open, airy sound.  It has the sound and feel of a vintage guitar, but unlike the thermo-cured guitars, nothing has been done to age the wood.

I'm curious how it may change over time vs. a new E10SS with a nitro finish.  I would expect the responsiveness to be less noticeable (since it's already mostly there via the thin finish), but the tone should continue to evolve, as the wood ages.

What do you think?
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(12-10-2018, 11:08 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: Eastman's Antique Varnish series uses a much thinner French Polish finish, which makes the guitar more responsive and provides an open, airy sound.  It has the sound and feel of a vintage guitar, but unlike the thermo-cured guitars, nothing has been done to age the wood.

I'm curious how it may change over time vs. a new E10SS with a nitro finish.  I would expect the responsiveness to be less noticeable (since it's already mostly there via the thin finish), but the tone should continue to evolve, as the wood ages.

What do you think?

PV, 

I had an E10SS, kept it for two years. Sound was excellent..
My E10SS/V as you said sounds like a vintage guitar.
I would assume the E10SS/nitro would take years to achieve the vintage sound of the "V". (Or may never "Catch up" with the French Polish.
I would choose the "V" over the "N" without hesitation after owning both guitars.
Bert likes this post
Thanks, Roy.  This was the main reason I got the "v" guitar.  A new Adi guitar can be tight early on, requiring more effort to drive the top, and the sound can be a little cold until it breaks in.  So, I'm wondering how the french polish finish may impact that evolution.  If it's already this responsive, will it become even more so, once things loosen up?  Likewise, it already has an airy sound, which may sweeten up, as the Adirondack wood ages.

Just some Monday morning pondering...
Another, similar question, is whether the TC guitars will suffer from structural integrity problems after 10 years or so, becoming too fragile. And, as I have said many times (ad nauseum?), boy would it be fun to hear a TC with an antique varnish finish!
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Right, Alan.  As we've been discussing some of Eastman's TC production issues, I've read elsewhere about how they have to get the process just right, so that it doesn't become brittle.  And it's new technology, so longevity can be a concern until we can see how they hold up.  On the flip side, those with TC guitars don't have to wait 20 years for a guitar to sound vintage, and that guitar isn't facing a neck reset of any other host of repair issues that can accompany older guitars.

Oh yeah, TC and Antique Varnish would likely answer my original question!
NASA's Voyager 1 was launched in 1977, they figured it would last at least 5yrs.  13 billion miles later it's still ticking and beyond the outer boundary of the heliosphere.  The AP website today said that Voyager 2 just hit 11 billion miles.  

I think we should make a determination about this issue and leave NASA out of the conversation.  I'll take a TC or Varnish every time.

Now, on to more important... hide glue vs titebond?   shutup bert  Cry
Pura Vida likes this post
LOL, Bert.  I hope your E20OM-TC gets you 13 billion miles or more!
Bert likes this post
Just having a little fun hope you know.  Shy

I believe that TC has nothing but benefits now and down the road.  And yes, after 13mos my E20OM-TC is becoming more played-in... all the glue, bracings, kerfing, joints, etc are settling into being a guitar.

From an article by Todd (Spoon) Philips on Torrification:

"Luthier Dana Bourgeois has been experimenting with torrefication in a more visible way longer than other American builders, as was Huss & Dalton. Gibson has been using torrefied fingerboards for some time, and Bob Taylor believes strongly that a torrefied top will guarantee fewer structural issues as a guitar ages."

I don't know if anyone has Varnished a TC top, how cool would that be?   Wink
Pura Vida likes this post
Absolutely! Gotta have some fun around here. Glad to hear that you’re noticing changes on your E20OM-TC — a great guitar, getting better.

I have a passion for understanding how things work, especially things that I enjoy, but can’t do myself. For years, I was interested in understanding wine making, so we spent many afternoons in Napa. Making friends, drinking world class wines, and learning about the process... what a great experience, but I digress.

So, this question is really about me trying to figure out how the French polish will impact things over time. In the immediate, it’s more responsive, but that top is still going to open up, everything settling in, etc. So, in theory, it could be more responsive, but then, with the thin finish, will I notice it less?

And with tone, kinda the same thing... it’s got sustain and an airy tone right now, but that may sweeten up like any other Adi top (within the next nine years or so, anyway!). I don’t think the varnish finish will have much of an impact, but if that’s why it sounds so different now, then maybe the way the tone evolves will be different too. I know... kinda restating what I already said above (see also: my “patience” thread about my E20OM-SB).

Anyway, it’s the kind of stuff that I find fascinating. But then I just play and enjoy seeing if they do what I think they’ll do.
Depends on HOW u treat u’r instruments - guitar players other than serial swappers who
 tend to be more careful in how they treat them.
If u’r talking FP u need to treat the instrument as a violin player would, i.e. - I have used two guitars for 20 and 30 year - still in good resalable condition but well played and gigged..
I doubt Eastie use trad FP - it probably has ‘hardners’ and drying accelerator added AND will be sprayed rather than’ rubbed’ on,
I’ve done two by hand - it’s a drying between coats time thing, fully 1 week or more with a trad recipe and will scratch with a wayward fingernail.
My ’11 EOM is not ‘typical’ FP or Nitro, but it is THIN which I like.
AlanSam likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Truetone vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 14 11,315 12-07-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  Nitro finish change? TerryD 5 6,102 03-30-2022, 04:38 AM
Last Post: RoyBoy
  Novus polish? phydaux 7 1,674 12-06-2021, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Silly Moustache