Nitro finish
(07-24-2020, 12:54 PM)Jklotz Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 11:53 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: These were recommended to me, and I've been using them daily:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073TWJ7LL

About $10 and available in a variety of colors.  Smile

Interesting. Those look like the things we used for winter training to keep our arms warm back when I used to race bicycles. 

Rad posting, I screwed this post up... Big Grin

I don't have that problem with my Eastmans, but my Gibson J-45 will leave a sweat mark 

Arm warmers/sleeves, I trained in them every cool morning along our coast and in our  mountains back when I raced roads and crits. I have never had a problem with my arm being on my  nitro guitars, but I do wipe them down after.  

The finish on my new E20D-TC appears very thin and because it is a dreadnought and I play siting most of the time  there is considerably more arm contact and arm pressure so time will tell if that is an issue with the finish.  

I do have a light weight button up long sleeve hiking shirt that I cut all the chest and  sleeve buttons off that I wear with my nitro guitars when it is a bit cool.

We need a photo gallery with us wearing our MacGuyver'd shirts and sleeves.  Something only other guitar players can appreciate!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(07-24-2020, 06:49 AM)sleigh Wrote: A third vote for the Hercules stands. Though I don't leave my guitars on stands for days at a time, I do use Hercules stands for gig where the guitars are sitting on them several hours. I've never had any finish issues with them with my nitro finish Eastmans—and they're very sturdy.

Seems like the Hercules stands are very popular on here.  I have just been using cheap A-frame stands.  I googled Hercules and see they make a variety of models.  Is there a certain one that everyone on here likes?
When I play solo gigs, I drag along both of my Eastman six-strings (one in standard tuning, one in DADGD) and my Guild 12-string so that I have a variety of different sounds. I also bring along a Hercules Triple Guitar Stand, which takes up far less room and is handier than having three single guitar stands (and always gets a few remarks from the audience)--and folds up very compactly to boot. Here's the link to Sweetwater's page for that stand, FWIW:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...e-backrest
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
I'd recommend the single stand (two options: collapsable, non-collapsable) or triple stand (that Steve mentions above).  Or if you have several guitars, consider their 5-guitar rack.  We have two racks, a triple, and a single in the house, plus eventually adding two Hercules wall mounts (when I finally get around to it) for the electric guitars.

I don't recommend the double stand, which I briefly owned, but returned.  When you remove one guitar, the stand is a little more prone to tipping over.  You're better off with the single or triple, which have a slightly smarter design with the legs to prevent tipping.

Also, check around on prices.  Occasionally, you can find sales on the Hercules stands and racks.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(07-24-2020, 10:44 AM)sagebrush tom Wrote: I have found Eastman's nitro finish is susceptible to many types of moisture including sweat, bug spray, suntan oil, skin creams etc. I have suffered minimal finish damage to both of my Eastman's over time. I do use a finish wax especially made for nitro finishes which I have found does protect the finish better than ordinary cleaners and waxes. Of course wearing a clean long sleeve is the best protection but not always practical. The nitro finish on my Martin 18 series seems much better suited for the everyday exposure of moisture, chemicals and not so soft clothes we expose our guitars too.

Funny you say that, I found the nitro much harder and resistant to marking compared to my Martin finishes.  There's new marks every time I look at my Martin but it seemed to have very few on my Eastmans over the same amount of time.  Granted, I'm not talking about bug spray, etc but more how easily it marks.
Pura Vida likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Truetone vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 14 11,314 12-07-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  Nitro finish change? TerryD 5 6,101 03-30-2022, 04:38 AM
Last Post: RoyBoy
  French Polish vs. Nitro Finish Pura Vida 13 6,847 12-12-2018, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Bert