Good decisions are like good decisions..... demo added post#22
This weekend, it's already started. My good buddy brought over his new E10-00SS sunburst this morning, great being retired. He played the E20-OM TC and I played the 00SS, we're in agreement that Eastman has stepped up its game hugely in recent times. Maple St Guitars here in ATL has just ordered 4 more SB59s, sold the first couple in a blink.

as Mel Brooks used to say 'its good to be da king'
Outstanding! I got in a little playing after work this evening (E20D) and planning on a nightcap session later tonight (E20OM-SB).
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Bump... for two months with the E20OM-TC

Last weekend a friend I hadn't seen in a while stopped over.  Like others we all know, pickin and talking guitars can go on for a while.  He wanted to play/buy my Yairi classical plus play my Collings CJ and SCGC VJ.  He had me play his Taylor 714ce, which was nice.  

After about an hour I whipped out the E20OM-TC.

Man, where did you get this?  He tweaked the tuning for about 10mins til he got it to his liking.  He was all over the fretboard and smiling, man what a guitar.  He owns a bunch of Martins, a Collings, Lowdens, and other fine guitars.

Nothing but great things to say on this fine day. Smile
Nice! Have you noticed any tonal changes over the two months? It's not uncommon for a new guitar to change and open up, but I was curious how that may vary between a regular new guitar and one that has been torrified.
PV, this guitar only left Pomona 2 1/2 months ago (Oct 28, 2017 COA)... sounds like its been played-in for 5 years. Sometimes EIR/red spruce can be harsh when new in my experience. The warm bass and round trebles have been there since day one, maybe a tad moreso in this short time, but I credit that more to the whole guitar forgetting it's wood.

Back ~ 25+ yrs ago, when I was working for Hewlett-Packard, one of our customers was a large high tech chemical company who developed products from wood. This whole Thermal Curing/torrification process has been very interesting for me. Basic Bertology here, and not expert info, but.... wood's Cellulose fibers are held together with lignin polymers as the glue. When the wood is heated in a zero oxygen chamber (so no fire can occur), the lignin restructures as though with age. happens

After playing this guitar for two months I'm convinced that this TC process is a significant improvement for acoustic guitars. As far as what's it going to sound like in 10ys, who knows but this tech has been used for decades in Scandinavia to make wood more durable and able to withstand outdoor elements. Dana Bourgeois says it's the single greatest technological advancement in his lifetime.

I think brother Dana knows what he's layin down.
Love the response, thanks! Since jumping onto Eastman and Adi/Red Spruce, my guitar inventory is very new, and I detect quite a bit of that harshness. While I know it will fade over time, it's encouraging to know that the TC process works to mellow it out from Day 1. So, if I'm understanding you right, it's almost like buying a new guitar, but one that's been played in for five years, so the additional changes will be more modest than an outright new (non-baked) guitar, which makes sense.

I've read that same torrification comment from DB, and you can't ask for a better testimonial than that. Your explanation is spot-on with my understanding of how it works.
Bert I am glad you like your new axe. I am firm believer in torrefied tops i had two in my possession and they both have that big mature sound. When you think about it wood has that "working time " period but after is done it stays the same for hundreds of years. I wouldn't expect to hear the big shift in sound but it will mellow little more probably.
Good stuff guys... Torrefied tops sound like quite an advancement for acoustic guitars. I definitely need an Eastman TC in my future.
Bump, just like I thought.... Thermal Cured inside and out.

First time I've seen the X-brace intersect support doohickey.
[i](maybe I shouldn't be the one to give it a name)[/i]

New strings tonight:  Curt Mangan Medium Light 12-54 PB 

[Image: dHjzpTg.jpg]
I’ve never seen one of those either. BTW, love all your photos. They’re extremely helpful on several threads.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a good deal? Sixstring61 6 524 03-12-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: sagebrush tom
  One great guitar or two good ones? kruto 15 3,068 07-06-2023, 12:45 PM
Last Post: nobodeuno
  Dread decisions... Aahzz 27 4,382 03-17-2023, 04:33 AM
Last Post: nobodeuno