Dread decisions...
So, I've come to the realization that I need a Dread - regular, not SS, to get the depth that I hear in my head and I'm missing. No convenient Eastman dealers in the Cincinnati area for me to try several. The Mandolin Store recently opened about an hour north of me, but they have one E8 and one E6, so still not going to get to try a lot, and they're also appointment only. I feel guilty making an appointment if I don't buy something, and there's no guarantee I'll get the E8 or E6.

I'm throughly down the Youtube rabbit hole. I really like what I hear from all of them, but the standouts to me are the E1D and the E8D. I need a pickup, so it'll have to be aftermarket - since finding out the E3DE is most likely undersized, it's not in the running. I'm normally a mahogany guy, but the E6 seems to me to be the dread that garners the most complaints. Not sure if I'll get enough cash this go round to go E10 or E20....

So, leaning towards the E1D at the moment to get my toes wet...I do love the open pore finish, I think it's the reason I like my AC222 better than my AC322. However, the E8 and E6 do call to me...what are y'alls thoughts on Eastman Dreads?
Aahzz -- I'm certain this is not the answer you want to hear, but have you considered saving up for the difference between the E10D and the E6D, especially since you say you're normally a mahogany guy? The E6D-TC at the Mandolin Store is being offered for $1099, but you could pick up a new E10D-TC for about $400 more (less if you buy it used) and be getting what you actually want.  Just a thought. My E10D (non-TC) is my favorite guitar.
AlanSam, Guzzi Fan, Aahzz like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
(03-06-2023, 06:39 PM)sleigh Wrote: Aahzz -- I'm certain this is not the answer you want to hear, but have you considered saving up for the difference between the E10D and the E6D, especially since you say you're normally a mahogany guy? The E6D-TC at the Mandolin Store is being offered for $1099, but you could pick up a new E10D-TC for about $400 more (less if you buy it used) and be getting what you actually want.  Just a thought. My E10D (non-TC) is my favorite guitar.

I'm not positive the E10 is what I want...I can definitely get the cash together if that ends up being the way to go.
sleigh and Guzzi Fan like this post
Not a dread guy really but just going to put this here:

https://www.davesguitar.com/collections/...or=Eastman
Guzzi Fan, Aahzz, sleigh like this post
(03-06-2023, 07:04 PM)Vapour Wrote: Not a dread guy really but just going to put this here:

https://www.davesguitar.com/collections/...or=Eastman

Thanks! Trust me, I've been looking heavily at Dave's Smile
Vapour and Pura Vida like this post
My E10D is a great guitar, and a real cannon (yeah, I know, that’s cliche, but true nonetheless). However, for everyday playing, whether flatpicking, fingerstyle, strumming, or chord melodies, I find myself playing the E1D the most. It’s versatile, clear, balanced, and just a darn nice all-round guitar.

John
Aahzz, SasquatchLife, Pura Vida, Guzzi Fan like this post
E1DL
E2DL
E10DL
T386L
Martin GPCPA4L
Takamine G128 classical
(03-06-2023, 06:17 PM)Aahzz Wrote: So, I've come to the realization that I need a Dread - regular, not SS, to get the depth that I hear in my head and I'm missing. No convenient Eastman dealers in the Cincinnati area for me to try several. The Mandolin Store recently opened about an hour north of me, but they have one E8 and one E6, so still not going to get to try a lot, and they're also appointment only. I feel guilty making an appointment if I don't buy something, and there's no guarantee I'll get the E8 or E6.

I'm throughly down the Youtube rabbit hole. I really like what I hear from all of them, but the standouts to me are the E1D and the E8D. I need a pickup, so it'll have to be aftermarket - since finding out the E3DE is most likely undersized, it's not in the running. I'm normally a mahogany guy, but the E6 seems to me to be the dread that garners the most complaints. Not sure if I'll get enough cash this go round to go E10 or E20....

So, leaning towards the E1D at the moment to get my toes wet...I do love the open pore finish, I think it's the reason I like my AC222 better than my AC322. However, the E8 and E6 do call to me...what are y'alls thoughts on Eastman Dreads?

I'd say the E1D or E2D based on what you've said. I absolutely love my E2D. Not sure if you've played the E2D, but it's so loud and just has a sweeter tone than the Sitka top. Not saying it's better, just different. I have played several E1Ds at TAS, and they were all killer. I about bought one, but wanted a cedar top in my stable. I also owned an E8D at one point which was an amazing guitar too. But if you prefer mahogany, I'd go with the E1 or E2! Albeit sapele and not hog, but close enough. And better for the wallet vs the other models you've mentioned.
Aahzz and Guzzi Fan like this post
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
(03-06-2023, 06:17 PM)Aahzz Wrote: So, I've come to the realization that I need a Dread - regular, not SS, to get the depth that I hear in my head and I'm missing. No convenient Eastman dealers in the Cincinnati area for me to try several. The Mandolin Store recently opened about an hour north of me, but they have one E8 and one E6, so still not going to get to try a lot, and they're also appointment only. I feel guilty making an appointment if I don't buy something, and there's no guarantee I'll get the E8 or E6.

From our conversations, I see you liking a E2D. I also see you liking a E8D. If you were asking me…..

John
Guzzi Fan, Pura Vida, SasquatchLife, Aahzz like this post
(03-06-2023, 11:02 PM)Chapboogie Wrote:

From our conversations, I see you liking a E2D. I also see you liking a E8D. If you were asking me…..

John 

Thanks for that Smile. I hadn't been considering an E2D, not sure why - had it in my head that I don't want cedar, but now back to YouTube I go!!!
Like John said Aahzz, I love my E2D and think anyone would love it honestly. It's an incredible guitar, and when you consider how affordable it is it's really unbelievable.
Aahzz likes this post
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Decisions & Trade-Offs Pura Vida 4 1,063 02-10-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: TomC
  Good decisions are like good decisions..... demo added post#22 Bert 52 14,487 02-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: backdoc