Dread decisions...
(03-08-2023, 08:31 PM)DonO Wrote: I would think the E40OM and the DT30OM are a close match. Is that correct or does the TC top on the E40 outperform the DT30?

Don
They are close but less close than I initially thought.  I haven't checked the scale length on my E40OM but I know for sure that it is a Tone-Tite neck and I've heard that some of those shipped with the longer scale.  So it could be longer scale, Adi-TC top, or even better piece of wooed.  Will have to check the scale but for now, even though I loved the sound of the DT30OM, when I got the E40OM, decided I could part with the DT, hence it is for sale in the forum, at AGF and on Reverb.
Pura Vida likes this post
Eastman E40OM-TC,   AC522CE,  E6D-TC, E2OM
Furch Yellow Deluxe Gc-CR with SPA
Furch Red OMC Pure 48 SPA
Eastman T486-B
Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic Telecaster GT11
Veritas Portlander
Nice! My E40OM has the tone-tite neck and is full scale. I looked for a TC but could not find one and am glad I found this one. It has a much fuller sound than the short scale and I’m looking forward to the Adi top opening up in the future.

Don
roycarver2706 and Pura Vida like this post
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45

Well, I wandered into my favorite local store (Third Rock Music for anyone in the Cincinnati area) and ended up falling in love with a Martin D10E, which I brought home. I did my best to convince them they should carry Eastman, they're looking into it. I do have to say, as nice as the Eastman gig bag is, the Martin gig bag is even a touch nicer. At the end of the day, the ability to play the Martin helped, especially having found out that Eastman has made their dreads smaller lately. All of the E1D demos I can find were made before the size change, so it's hard for me to trust one.

[Image: d10e1.jpg]

And with an Eastman
[Image: d10e4.jpg]
Pura Vida, SasquatchLife, DonO like this post
Congrats, Aahzz!
Aahzz likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(03-13-2023, 03:26 PM)DonO Wrote: Nice! My E40OM has the tone-tite neck and is full scale. I looked for a TC but could not find one and am glad I found this one. It has a much fuller sound than the short scale and I’m looking forward to the Adi top opening up in the future.

Don

Yup,
Checked it and sure enough, it’s the long scale!
Pura Vida and DonO like this post
Eastman E40OM-TC,   AC522CE,  E6D-TC, E2OM
Furch Yellow Deluxe Gc-CR with SPA
Furch Red OMC Pure 48 SPA
Eastman T486-B
Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic Telecaster GT11
Veritas Portlander
Congratulations on the new D10E, Aahzz!  Nice you were able to find a guitar to fill that dread void.

Enjoy!

Rod
Pura Vida and Aahzz like this post
Congrats on your Martin D10E, HNGD!
Aahzz and Pura Vida like this post
(03-06-2023, 06:17 PM)Aahzz Wrote: So, I've come to the realization that I need a Dread - regular, not SS, to get the depth that I hear in my head and I'm missing. No convenient Eastman dealers in the Cincinnati area for me to try several. The Mandolin Store recently opened about an hour north of me, but they have one E8 and one E6, so still not going to get to try a lot, and they're also appointment only. I feel guilty making an appointment if I don't buy something, and there's no guarantee I'll get the E8 or E6.

I'm throughly down the Youtube rabbit hole. I really like what I hear from all of them, but the standouts to me are the E1D and the E8D. I need a pickup, so it'll have to be aftermarket - since finding out the E3DE is most likely undersized, it's not in the running. I'm normally a mahogany guy, but the E6 seems to me to be the dread that garners the most complaints. Not sure if I'll get enough cash this go round to go E10 or E20....

So, leaning towards the E1D at the moment to get my toes wet...I do love the open pore finish, I think it's the reason I like my AC222 better than my AC322. However, the E8 and E6 do call to me...what are y'alls thoughts on Eastman Dreads?
My experience...I went into my local shop to buy a used guitar on consignment and walked out with a E1D...I am at awe of it's specs and tone for the price, actually any price really. I played several of the more expensive Eastman models while waiting and noodling around,  but kept coming back to this particular example, which stood out from the rest. Craftsmanship and wood on this one is spectacular!   It seems to me I just like the tone and balance of sitka over adi tops, but that's just me.  I was also prepared to spend $1500-1600.00 on that used Taylor dread, but this $600.00 beauty grabbed me!  The bag is wonderful, but I will get a hard case later.
Pura Vida, DonO, SasquatchLife, AlanSam, Guzzi Fan like this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Decisions & Trade-Offs Pura Vida 4 1,063 02-10-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: TomC
  Good decisions are like good decisions..... demo added post#22 Bert 52 14,485 02-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: backdoc