Eastman DT Series (DT30-D, DT30OM & DT30-GA) Double Top
Hi,

Just got back from Merlefest (yes, I am still in an endorphin fog), and had a chance to play both eth rosewood DT series and the E20 D toned top.  I already have two Eastman OMs (E6 and E20), so I am pretty familiar with the sound and architecture.  I also have my soulmate (my D-18), which more often than not gets the nod for playing out -- so there's that.

Impressions:
The DT is an impeccably made, beautiful example of the Eastman dreadnaught line,  but so is the E20 D toned.  Both very well made.  The DT's sound seemed like it was a little more 'rounded', 'softer', or something. Very nice, but seemed to lack a certain sharpness, or maybe boldness, as compared to the E20 D, and certainly compared to my 18. Playability was (of course) outstanding, balance was very good (although I am a Martin bottom-ender) and I certainly enjoyed playing it. The Eastman guys were selling it for $1500 out-the-door, a pretty decent deal for that particular guitar.  I asked the guy if the E20 D top was cooked, he said it wasn't, just a toner-treatment.  But it sounded pretty mature for brand-new addy.  All in all, given no constraints and between these two, I'd probably pick the E20D. Both lovely instruments, but my lean goes to the E20.

Disclaimers: I played in the vendor tent with a zillion folks around, so maybe my sound samples weren't the most isolated. Also, my nails have been summarily shredded from spring chores, so I used my Alaskapiks on it.  Also, I had just come from the Cololings Display and had just finished 15 minutes on a Collings Rosie D2H dread - so there's that.  Lastly, I used a Dunlop prime tone .88 pick and a Jon Pearse Fast Turtle 1.2 mm casein pick.

Again, both beautiful and built wonderfully - but I gotta nod toward the 20....

as usual, ymmv.

cf
Watching the Acoustic Shoppe demo again (note I don't play dreads), I was paying particular interest to the DT30-OM.  Maybe the DT has a tad more volume but... the sustain of my E20OM-TC is very much in that range.  The fundamental tones are similar.  The E8OM is a fine guitar but not even close in volume/sustain nor does it have the more clear tone of the E20OM-TC.

I'm certainly not down of the DTs and would love to try one along the way... but, a lot to be gained with the TC red spruce (adi) top in my experience.

bert
Capefear and Pura Vida like this post
Last night, I decided to strum an open G chord on my 2016 E10D and hit the stopwatch on my iPhone.
Result:  17 seconds (and that's where I can hear it; probably some residual vibration going on that I can't pick up)

Did the same on my 2017 E40D... result 14 seconds.

I was going to try the OMs, but got sidetracked playing them.   Smile

I think that Sitka may have a faster decay, so maybe the DT Nomex honeycomb technology improves upon that.  Maybe I should time my E8D for comparison.
Bert likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(05-05-2019, 08:59 AM)Bert Wrote: Watching the Acoustic Shoppe demo again (note I don't play dreads), I was paying particular interest to the DT30-OM.  Maybe the DT has a tad more volume but... the sustain of my E20OM-TC is very much in that range.  The fundamental tones are similar.  The E8OM is a fine guitar but not even close in volume/sustain nor does it have the more clear tone of the E20OM-TC.

I'm certainly not down of the DTs and would love to try one along the way... but, a lot to be gained with the TC red spruce (adi) top in my experience.

bert
Agree 100%. (and I still think the E20D was TC'd...)

(05-05-2019, 09:29 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: Last night, I decided to strum an open G chord on my 2016 E10D and hit the stopwatch on my iPhone.
Result:  17 seconds (and that's where I can hear it; probably some residual vibration going on that I can't pick up)

Did the same on my 2017 E40D... result 14 seconds.

I was going to try the OMs, but got sidetracked playing them.   Smile

I think that Sitka may have a faster decay, so maybe the DT Nomex honeycomb technology improves upon that.  Maybe I should time my E8D for comparison. 

I'm still working my E20 om, but it is slow to break in.  Lots of sustain though. My current strings are nickel bronze for a little less zing' and more fundemental tone, and to maybe increase decay a touch. Seem okay for now.
I bought the DT30 OM this week. I didn't walk into the shop intending to buy an acoustic, but I saw it and I thought ..interesting .I played the guitar for an hour and a half. I also played the Eastman OM6 to compare them. My feeling at the time was the dt30om was a tight focused sound with lots wonderful overtones and the sound was controlled and if played loud it stayed controlled . Where the om6 while still pleasant was less focused , the bloomed out in a looser way . The om6 was nice but not as nuanced in the sound as the dt30 om the dt30 has more detail. The OM6 couldn't match for me . I was so seduced by the sound of the guitar that i bought it right there, also enticed by the discount the shop offered. On return I had a little buyers remorse for a couple of days. Partially as online I saw so few people had an experience with this guitar and also the relatively high price for an Eastman, I wondered if I might have been premature to adopt this new technology. However everytime I picked up the guitar, I realised this is a keeper. The sound is amazing and the controlled sound just wants you to play more . When you dig in the sound stays controlled in a really pleasant way Already this the best guitar i have ever played and I think its just going to improve. This is the sort of guitar I could play until my fingers are numb . Did I mention it looks gorgeous, it's stunning . I am very happy to own this guitar and I think i will be playing this everyday. Happy days
Pura Vida, AlanSam, Rip VanWinkle, Jure, Meathead like this post
Hey Banjoboys - congrats on the DT model.  I really wish I had the chance to play one, I'd love to hear how that DT sounds!  Did you feel like the DT model was quote a bit louder than the E6 OM that you played?  Would love to see photos if you can share!
Tim
Banjoboys, congrats on the new Eastman DT.  It's natural to pause on a new purchase, but when a guitar speaks to you like this one does, it's worth every penny.  I can hear a difference between my E40 and E20 models, so it makes sense that the same is true for the E6 vs. DT30... perhaps more so, due to the different technology used to build it.  Look forward to seeing some photos, and keep us posted of how it sounds as it opens up over time.  Cheers!
(02-21-2020, 03:56 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Banjoboys, congrats on the new Eastman DT.  It's natural to pause on a new purchase, but when a guitar speaks to you like this one does, it's worth every penny.  I can hear a difference between my E40 and E20 models, so it makes sense that the same is true for the E6 vs. DT30... perhaps more so, due to the different technology used to build it.  Look forward to seeing some photos, and keep us posted of how it sounds as it opens up over time.  Cheers!

Thanks Smile Sorry I had to change my user name some reason my password reset does not work .. Anyway here a re few photos. I love the guitar more each day .

A few more pictures of the beautiful DT om30

(02-21-2020, 01:30 PM)Meathead Wrote: Hey Banjoboys - congrats on the DT model.  I really wish I had the chance to play one, I'd love to hear how that DT sounds!  Did you feel like the DT model was quote a bit louder than the E6 OM that you played?  Would love to see photos if you can share!
Tim

It was hard to say it was louder. Because I feel the bass was more controlled on the DT om3 and did not bloom out in the same way as the E6 . However I think it does cut through better and it has much nicer overtones and all round balance . My opinion only of course
AlanSam likes this post

Attached Files

Tim (Meathead)  is the site Admin, so he might be able to help you with the password issues.  Thanks for sharing the pics.
Well...I went into a local music store fully expecting to buy a new Taylor, but it turns out that they are an Eastman dealer as well and when I picked up the DT30D I couldn't put it down. Was it luck? Provenance? My wife was with me and she just laughed when I started playing it... "Search over" was all she said... They even knocked off $100. $2025 out the door.

I like to think that John Prine had a hand in my finding this instrument.
sleigh, Pura Vida, AlanSam like this post

Attached Files

Eastman DT30D
Eastman AC330E-12
Martin 0-18 (2018 model)
Simon and Patrick Dreadnought
Giannini AWN-300 Classical

Gibson SG 60's Tribute
Fender Stratocaster

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Double Tops - how are they holding up? Meathead 6 2,049 04-12-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Grandpa Bucky
  New DT30-GACE Double Top has arrived and lives up to all the hype. Grandpa Bucky 9 2,279 04-06-2023, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Grandpa Bucky
  DT30 OM Charlieb 3 988 07-27-2022, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida