Eastman DT Series (DT30-D, DT30OM & DT30-GA) Double Top
I formed an opinion about 'clear tone' almost 20yrs ago.  As a long time Martin player, I bought a used 2003 SCGC Tony Rice guitar in 2004, which was built to satisfy Tony's tweak to the D28.  The TR was my main guitar for 6yrs, took it everywhere, drove it like my car.  After 6yrs I felt I couldn't hear the mids any longer because it had developed too much bass.  Sold it for a good bit more than I paid and bought a new Collings D2H, balanced bass with mids/trebles... most 'clear tone' EIR guitar I had ever played.

Knowing many long time Martin players (like myself), my experience has been that many think Collings (for instance) are too bright.

There is a big diff between bright and 'clear' is my point.

I like the Acoustic Shoppe demo very much because of the volume/sustain but the biggest attraction for me is 'clear tone' coming from an EIR guitar.  My 2017 E20OM-TC is a family member of the E8D but different in a number ways that I like, for EIR it has a good clear tone but not as so with the DT.

The DT models are fascinating in many ways.  .02c

bert
Pura Vida and Meathead like this post
Bert, I really like your comment about "clear tone" That may indeed be the best way to describe my reaction to the 30DT I played at LAGS, without all the distractions of NAMM. One of the reasons I love my E20P, besides the super comfy neck profile, is that it has that "clear tone" unlike the Martin 0-28v which I think sounds boxy. I will go out on a limb somewhat here and say that the new DT's from Eastman will go along way to move the perception and appreciation of the Eastman sound to a higher level. I think we are all here
on this site because we know that Eastman is the real deal and over achieves on fit, finish, features and value for the dollar. The real story is also that Eastman guitars compete on the highest level with sound and play ability
Pure Vida, yes I am very thankful that I have LAGS only 15-20 minutes away. The greatest threat that Ted and Helene face is that, since I'm retired, I could go there a couple of hours a day and talk to them about anything....including guitars.
I should also send a shout out to Super Dave Ruchinski, my most talented and revered guitar tech, who works out Westwood Music which is only 10 minutes away from my house.
You know people do live in SoCal for more than the weather.....just sayin'. LOL
Bert likes this post
RVW, I told my better half that I want to plan a SoCal road trip, but that I want to hit up some of the music shops down there.  LAGS, Norm's, etc.  Visit with some friends down there, as well.  Haven't quite sold this idea, yet...
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I’m not sure if this video belongs to one of the members of the forum. But, I thought it sounded good to me.

https://youtu.be/1WQZAG-JANk

Mine should arrive some time tomorrow.
Pura Vida likes this post
Come on Fri... that guitar sounds impressive.  It would sound even better with a small diaphragm, directional condenser.  I have a Shure KSM (like his - made for vocals) and a SM81 for guitar.  Only to say, it sounds awesome as is.

Drinking warm milk and counting toady frogs won't help you sleep tonite is what I think.   Wink
(04-25-2019, 02:27 PM)Bert Wrote: Come on Fri... that guitar sounds impressive.  It would sound even better with a small diaphragm, directional condenser.  I have a Shure KSM (like his - made for vocals) and a SM81 for guitar.  Only to say, it sounds awesome as is.

Drinking warm milk and counting toady frogs won't help you sleep tonite is what I think.   Wink

Indeed. It’s always exciting to get a new instrument. But usually I know what it’s going to sound like before I open the box. :-)
Dave...I hate to be a spoiler here....but it sounds better than that video!!!!!! Once again, I agree with Bert...sweet dreams tonight.
(04-25-2019, 05:25 PM)Rip VanWinkle Wrote: Dave...I hate to be a spoiler here....but it sounds better than that video!!!!!! Once again, I agree with Bert...sweet dreams tonight.

I think I'm gonna like it here.  :-)  Thanks fellas!
sleigh and Pura Vida like this post
These guys beat me to the punch, but it's exciting enough to be waiting for a new guitar... let alone, the first guitar from a new manufacturer, plus a brand new model.  I was equally anxious with my first Eastman, which was an E40D --- somewhat similar, as there were very few in the wild and only 1-2 videos.  And 2+ years later, it gets a much play as any guitar I've owned.

Best wishes tomorrow --- I predict amazing results!

Happy NGD Eve, Dave!
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(04-22-2019, 01:17 PM)Martingitdave Wrote: I'm new to this forum.  I found it via AGF.  This is my first post. 

I've been a Martin player for many years.  I have bought and sold a bunch of them.  I'd say they were all great guitars.  But, for some strange reason, Martin has been all over the map with regards to neck shape and size and quality.  Builders like Collings, H&D, Bourgeois, etc. all have a fairly medium C to V shape offering with a 1-3/4" or 1-23/32" nut width.  Martin keeps making it difficult to like their necks.  I'd love to have one of the Authentic or Modern Deluxe models, but the necks are terrible for me.  

Right now, I have two acoustic guitars: a Martin D-28 Marquis (Mod V) and a Guild F-512 twelve string (Medium C).  They cover just about all the territory I need, musically.  However...  I really want a guitar with a medium C neck profile and 1-3/4" nut for playing out.  I don't expect the tone to be "exactly" on-par, but it needs to at least "feel" the same and sound "good" to "very good."  It should also amplify well with a pickup system like a K&K.  The Marquis is great, but it's a bit of a worry depending on where we play, and it doesn't amplify well. 

The Eastman brand has impressed me tremendously online.  But, it's hard, if not impossible, to get your hands on them locally.  Last year for Spring Break my family passed through MO and stopped by the Chappman's shop.  I spent an hour or so playing their guitars and talking shop.  It was fun.  They had a E-20D TC at the time that was just dynamite.  However, I had spent my fun money on a (yet another) used Martin (that was sold not too long after because of the neck.)  So, I left there without the Eastman.  But, the quality of the tone stuck in my head.  

This year, I am down to the two guitars I mentioned.  And, I am looking for that gig instrument - an unhealthy obsession and perpetual pox on my house.  The Eastman DT30-D caught my attention because I am a mechanical engineer and could easily visualize the benefits that the composite materials could bring to the table.  Moreover, it has the appointments that absolutely fit my eye to a "T."  If I were to design a guitar, that's just about what it would look like.  Not being one to buy for looks, I put it in the back of my mind.  But, it keeps creeping forward.  :-)  I even asked my best guitar buddy to talk me out of it.  He said "$2,000 for a laminated top!  You're crazy!"  It helped extinguish the GAS for a week.  But, evidently, not enough.  

The videos here and a few others I've seen sound great to my ears.  But, I'm generally jaded towards internet sales.  That said, I called Ted at LAGS and discussed the DT30-D he had on his website.  He reiterated his experience with the HD-28 comparison.  I believe the Chappman's DT30D had already sold.  I waited another week.  This morning, I decided to order the DT30-D from Ted, and it should arrive by Friday.  If it's not the sound I am looking for, I think I will exchange for a E20D TC, assuming one is available.  I wanted to be sure to buy from a reseller who is reasonable about returns since this is a completely new product, and no one has tried them.  

Here is what concerns me:

1.  I usually like warm tones.  So, hearing this guitar described as less warm than the E8D is worrisome.  I generally trust my ears, but recordings are not the same as being in the room.
2.  The 1mm spruce laminate on the top might puncture more easily than a solid top.  
3.  It might not sound any different/better than the less expensive E8D.  Or, even worse, not sound as good as the less expensive E20D TC.

Here is what excites me:

1.  It's a beautiful guitar.
2.  I like the Eastman neck.
3.  I'm optimistic that there will be something to the technology.  
4.  I'm hopeful that double tops will be less susceptible to cracking in dry climates.  

So, as of this morning, it appears this Martin player is trying out for team Eastman. :-)

I'm sure you're going to love your new guitar. They are really impressive.

Just so you know we still have ours in stock. (Which is good for me, I get to keep playing it)

John

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Double Tops - how are they holding up? Meathead 6 2,049 04-12-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Grandpa Bucky
  New DT30-GACE Double Top has arrived and lives up to all the hype. Grandpa Bucky 9 2,276 04-06-2023, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Grandpa Bucky
  DT30 OM Charlieb 3 988 07-27-2022, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida