Eastman DT Series (DT30-D, DT30OM & DT30-GA) Double Top
Nice video.  I need to go back and re-watch with headphones.  I'm really pleased that you compared the DT models to the corresponding E8 models, which are half the price.
sleigh likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Thanks for the video Chapmans. I agree with PV, that it was really helpful to see/hear the side-by-side with the comparable woods on the E8's.

(like Chapboogie) I'm also a big fan of the bound fretboard and peghead - looks sweet with the abalone rosette! The sustain on the DT's is impressive, but I think I was almost more impressed with how good the E8's sound for half the price.

I applaud Eastman for innovating with the DT's, but IMHO, it would be great to see them bring more TC's to market vs DT's as their torrified tops just sound so incredibly warm and rich, with great volume and sustain. From a consumer perspective, I think they'd see more success with the TC's since it's a more established process and less expensive. I personally would love to see an E20OM-TC with the same appointments as these DT30's (the bound fretboard and abalone rosette). Or a torrified adi top on the E20P or E40OM. Just sayin.
sleigh, Pura Vida, Bert like this post
I listened to the video especially the side by side part between the DT30 OM and the E8 OM three times and everybody is right the DT's definitely have more volume and sustain up the ying yang. But i liked the warmth that the E8 OM has and the all around sweet tone. As they said in the video if you want sustain these DT's sound like they have all you will want. I guess i'm still jonesing for a sitka/rosewood small body guitar. Thanks Acoustic Shoppe for the great video!
Pura Vida likes this post
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
I'm glad I got my E8D a few months ago, so I'm less tempted to drop $2k on the DT30D.  Still debating whether to trade out my E20OM-SB for an E10OM-TC.   Smile
sagebrush tom likes this post
If i owned both an E40 OM and D it would make it a little easier to trade the E20 OM for the E10 OM-TC. I don't know how many spruce/hog guitars you have but from what i've heard from the E10 om-tc, you might just be thinking in the right direction. I would have to find a really, really great Thermo Cure model to make me want to get rid of my E20 OM/SB though.
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
Yes, I have the E40OM and E20OM-SB, so trading out the 20 for the 10-TC would provide a little more variety in the OM space.  I have four spruce/rosewood dreads and two spruce/mahogany dreads, so I'm covered there.
Big thanks to John and Jeremy for an excellent orientation demo to the new DT models.  My first impression is that a new EIR/sitka tone has been unearthed.  Clean/clear tone, with volume to match, and huge sustain without a foot pedal, nano vibes dancing in the nomax.  Watched a couple times, very impressive guitars and demo.

My E20OM-TC has more of the tonal character of the E8OM for sure.  I was one of the first with the TC, time for someone else to step up. Wink

Should be a lot of fun watching where this takes Eastman and us EGF'rs.
Pura Vida likes this post
Great video comparison, though I have to admit that I would probably go for the standard E8 rather than the double top. I'll take the warmth of the sound and the cash I'd save over the sustain and volume.
Pura Vida and sagebrush tom like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
I'm new to this forum.  I found it via AGF.  This is my first post. 

I've been a Martin player for many years.  I have bought and sold a bunch of them.  I'd say they were all great guitars.  But, for some strange reason, Martin has been all over the map with regards to neck shape and size and quality.  Builders like Collings, H&D, Bourgeois, etc. all have a fairly medium C to V shape offering with a 1-3/4" or 1-23/32" nut width.  Martin keeps making it difficult to like their necks.  I'd love to have one of the Authentic or Modern Deluxe models, but the necks are terrible for me.  

Right now, I have two acoustic guitars: a Martin D-28 Marquis (Mod V) and a Guild F-512 twelve string (Medium C).  They cover just about all the territory I need, musically.  However...  I really want a guitar with a medium C neck profile and 1-3/4" nut for playing out.  I don't expect the tone to be "exactly" on-par, but it needs to at least "feel" the same and sound "good" to "very good."  It should also amplify well with a pickup system like a K&K.  The Marquis is great, but it's a bit of a worry depending on where we play, and it doesn't amplify well. 

The Eastman brand has impressed me tremendously online.  But, it's hard, if not impossible, to get your hands on them locally.  Last year for Spring Break my family passed through MO and stopped by the Chappman's shop.  I spent an hour or so playing their guitars and talking shop.  It was fun.  They had a E-20D TC at the time that was just dynamite.  However, I had spent my fun money on a (yet another) used Martin (that was sold not too long after because of the neck.)  So, I left there without the Eastman.  But, the quality of the tone stuck in my head.  

This year, I am down to the two guitars I mentioned.  And, I am looking for that gig instrument - an unhealthy obsession and perpetual pox on my house.  The Eastman DT30-D caught my attention because I am a mechanical engineer and could easily visualize the benefits that the composite materials could bring to the table.  Moreover, it has the appointments that absolutely fit my eye to a "T."  If I were to design a guitar, that's just about what it would look like.  Not being one to buy for looks, I put it in the back of my mind.  But, it keeps creeping forward.  :-)  I even asked my best guitar buddy to talk me out of it.  He said "$2,000 for a laminated top!  You're crazy!"  It helped extinguish the GAS for a week.  But, evidently, not enough.  

The videos here and a few others I've seen sound great to my ears.  But, I'm generally jaded towards internet sales.  That said, I called Ted at LAGS and discussed the DT30-D he had on his website.  He reiterated his experience with the HD-28 comparison.  I believe the Chappman's DT30D had already sold.  I waited another week.  This morning, I decided to order the DT30-D from Ted, and it should arrive by Friday.  If it's not the sound I am looking for, I think I will exchange for a E20D TC, assuming one is available.  I wanted to be sure to buy from a reseller who is reasonable about returns since this is a completely new product, and no one has tried them.  

Here is what concerns me:

1.  I usually like warm tones.  So, hearing this guitar described as less warm than the E8D is worrisome.  I generally trust my ears, but recordings are not the same as being in the room.
2.  The 1mm spruce laminate on the top might puncture more easily than a solid top.  
3.  It might not sound any different/better than the less expensive E8D.  Or, even worse, not sound as good as the less expensive E20D TC.

Here is what excites me:

1.  It's a beautiful guitar.
2.  I like the Eastman neck.
3.  I'm optimistic that there will be something to the technology.  
4.  I'm hopeful that double tops will be less susceptible to cracking in dry climates.  

So, as of this morning, it appears this Martin player is trying out for team Eastman. :-)
sagebrush tom, sleigh, Pura Vida, AlanSam like this post
Dave - great first post and welcome to EGF, glad you were able to find us.  I am not a Martin player so I can't speak to that aspect of your post, but I am excited to learn that I believe you are the first person I am aware of that has purchased a DT model, so I am very much looking forward to your feedback.  

I agree with you, after having read about how the double top is constructed, it made theoretical sense to me that it would give a guitar a louder voice, as well as sustain.  Chapboogie's video really demonstrates how well these guitars sustain.  Also, I fully agree with you - I *really* love the aesthetics and tasteful visual appointments that Eastman has adorned the DT models with.  I am looking forward to your review and feedback once the guitar arrives!

-Tim

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Double Tops - how are they holding up? Meathead 6 2,049 04-12-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Grandpa Bucky
  New DT30-GACE Double Top has arrived and lives up to all the hype. Grandpa Bucky 9 2,279 04-06-2023, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Grandpa Bucky
  DT30 OM Charlieb 3 988 07-27-2022, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida