Eastman DT Series (DT30-D, DT30OM & DT30-GA) Double Top
Martinitdave, welcome to EGF.  I go by Bert or Bertram (as time has gone by), have read several of your post over on UMGF.... great bunch of folks over there and think the world of Todd Yates.

Like many EGFers, I will be very interested in your reaction to the DT30-D.  The A-Z you described is much similar to the way I see things.  I don't currently own a Martin but have owned many going back to 1976.  I have bought/sold 5 in the past five yrs for similar reasons you described.

Those who are familiar with me on EGF, know that I own Bourgeois, SCGC, and Collings.... and believe that my E20OM-TC is in that league (got it from Ted 1 1/2yrs ago).  My EastmanEl Rey 4 archtop is tops of all elec/acous guitars I've ever touched.

I'm sure excited for you and can give LAG a big +1.  
bert
Welcome, Martingitdave!  Similar to Bert and the UMGF, I am familiar with you from the AGF.  Your post covers many of my thoughts, as well, so I'm very excited to get your impressions, once you get your hands on the DT30D this weekend.

I own several of the other Eastman Rosewood dread options (E40D, E20D, E8D), and each were purchased directly from Ted at LA Guitar Sales.  There's a noticeable difference between the E40D/E20D Adi models (think D42 vs. D28), and there's also a difference between them and the warmth of the Sitka E8D (which I just got in January).  I haven't tried any of the TC models, but several others have commented on the sweeter, more rounded tone from these torrified tops (takes off that "new Adi" edge).

I hope the DT30D is everything you hope it is and look forward to a NGD post.  Smile
Meathead and sagebrush tom like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
MartingitDave welcome to our forum! Your concern on the comparison between the DT30-OM vs. E8OM is pretty much where i'm at. I think the warmth of the E8 is much more apparent than the DT model. But i will add that the double topped guitars might come with a learning curve on how to control the sustain and maybe harness it toward a little more all-around tone, instead working at trying to push the guitar, maybe work at holding it back a little. Look forward to your assessment of your new guitar. Congrats.
Pura Vida, Meathead, Bert like this post
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
I considered the safer bet of going with the E20D-TC. But, since I was ordering long distance, and my curiosity was piqued, I decided to roll the dice. Why not make a “splash” with my first Eastman? LOL
Zissou Intern, Bert, Pura Vida like this post
Good to have you on board Martingitdave - interesting posts!
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Let me add my welcome to Team Eastman, Martingitdave. I don't have much to add, being new to Eastmans myself, but I hope the DT you've ordered is everything you were looking for and more!
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Dave, I've played the guitar at LA Guitar Sales that you have purchased several weeks ago. I would be really surprised if you don't really like it. It's fantastic! The grain in the Rosewood is beautiful and it sounds great! (and warm). I sat with Ted and Helene at Namm this year when their sales rep introduced us to this guitar.I played it while Ted and Helene were doing some business....and you could actually hear it over the constant din that is Namm. (Remember that Eastman also makes brass and woodwind instruments that get played in the booth ) I am such a fan of the Eastman brand these days...although i confess to being entranced with the electric deep body/thin body guitars right now. (I should say that I currently have 3 Martin Custom Shop dreads, 3 Gibson's and 2 Taylors....so GAS is under control for the DT30D....but what about that Om.....)
Pura Vida likes this post
RVW, welcome to the EGF.  Good to hear your impressions of the DT, we're all still looking in the crystal ball.  bert
(04-23-2019, 08:07 PM)Rip VanWinkle Wrote: Dave, I've played the guitar at LA Guitar Sales that you have purchased several weeks ago. I would be really surprised if you don't really like it. It's fantastic! The grain in the Rosewood is beautiful and it sounds great! (and warm). I sat with Ted and Helene at Namm this year when their sales rep introduced us to this guitar.I played it while Ted and Helene were doing some business....and you could actually hear it over the constant din that is Namm. (Remember that Eastman also makes brass and woodwind instruments that get played in the booth ) I am such a fan of the Eastman brand these days...although i confess to being entranced with the electric deep body/thin body guitars right now. (I should say that I currently have 3 Martin Custom Shop dreads, 3 Gibson's and 2 Taylors....so GAS is under control for the DT30D....but what about that Om.....)

I will admit that your post is a welcomed sight. Since I’ve had a few days to stew over my decision to order this guitar, I’ve become more apprehensive about it. Some of the videos I’ve watched gave me mixed feelings. So, I’m hopeful that we have similar taste in guitars! :-). Warmth of tone is important to me. That’s the most concerning comment from the video.

I bet it’s a treat to visit LAGS in person. They have such interesting and varied stock. I like my local shops in Chicago, but they are often so loud and busy that you can’t hear anything.

Best!
Welcome RVW!  Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience with this new guitar.  There isn't much of that, which is why everyone's a little anxious about it, for now.

BTW, I would do anything to have a decent music store like you guys have in Chicago and LA.  Sacramento is really lacking in that area, which is a reason why I have to purchase nearly all of my guitars online.  We have two GC and a couple of small shops, including an Eastman dealer about 30 minutes away (but with inconsistent inventory).  I'd love to have an LAGS or CME to check out.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Double Tops - how are they holding up? Meathead 6 2,049 04-12-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Grandpa Bucky
  New DT30-GACE Double Top has arrived and lives up to all the hype. Grandpa Bucky 9 2,279 04-06-2023, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Grandpa Bucky
  DT30 OM Charlieb 3 988 07-27-2022, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida