Eastman DT Series (DT30-D, DT30OM & DT30-GA) Double Top
So, do we think that Dave's giving his DT30D some serious playing time this weekend?   Smile
Bert likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Yeah, I'm hoping you're right LOL! I'm beginning to worry that he really doesn't dig it....and he's afraid to come back and say it. I admit I laid the cheer leading on pretty thickly....but I really do love the guitar.
From what I've seen and heard it looks a mighty fine guitar. Can't wait to hear the review and I want one, if only my want's and needs were the same thing...
Charlie -  GAS v need? (speaking as an unreconstructed gasaholic!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qev-i9-VKlY
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Hello fine Eastman folks. I took a few days to compose my thoughts before posting. The DT30-D is a thing of beauty. Absolutely lovely. It also feels fantastic. The neck shape is perfect and all the edges of the guitar and nicely rolled. Very impressive for a guitar at this price point. It’s also loud and responsive. That’s the good.

Unfortunately, given all those good things, I will be sending the guitar back. Why? Well, the reaction from John in the videos is fairly representative of my experience. I would put this model more on the “balanced” end of the spectrum as compared to “warm.” Given the price tag of $2,000, I decided it would be wise for me to simply purchase another used Martin HD-28E Retro, which this was meant to replace. I sold my Retro 1.5 years ago and missed it.

So, this is a great guitar with a unique voice that would be great for a certain kind of player - just like it was suggested in the videos.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the Eastman forum. I hope to find another model in the future that fits my ear better. But, one thing I know is that they fit my eyes and hands.

Cheers!
AlanSam likes this post
Dave, I'm sure you  gave it a good work out. Sorry it didn't work for you. At least you are consistent with your on line handle Smile Please come visit us whenever you like. I have a sneakin' feeling you'll find an Eastman someday that works for you.
Hey, Dave.  That's a very fair assessment.  Eastman guitars have a more balanced sound, and if you're missing that tone from your Martin HD-28E Retro, it makes sense that this guitar wouldn't be the right replacement.  I'd suggest an E20D-TC / E10D-TC (Adi top, thermo-cured dreads) for a more vintage sound, or a new E40D (Rosewood/Adi), which is aesthetically beautiful (think D-42 vs. D-28).

Anyway, sorry it didn't work out, but we hope you'll stick around the EGF and continue to participate in the discussions.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Martingitdave: Try an E20D. Seriously, I am also a Martin fan and had a 20D and think it'd be just what you are after. You will be able to get one for way less than $2000. You might want to try the E20D-TC with a the torrefied Adirondack top. I only sold my E20D because some of the early models had variable neck widths. Mine was 1 11/16", not 1 3/4" at the nut. 
Good luck in your search.
Keith
'00 Martin HD28LSV ~ '04 Martin D18GE ~ '22 Burkett J45
Keep truckin Dave, no problem for us.  I had a wonderful HD28V back when, best Martin I ever owned... could not play that severe V neck.  Truly hated to let it go.  I have an E20OM-TC and can highly recommend the TC top for the more fundamental tone.  best wishes, bert
Thanks folks! I definitely am accustomed to the Martin tone. The E20DTC I played at John’s shop last year was outstanding. So I have no doubt that would be a better fit for my ear. I did not expect to find another Retro with the Aura Plus system, so I had moved on mentally to the Eastman line for their outstanding neck and value. I just wanted to determine which model was right for me.

After deciding to return the DT30, I put a "Hail Mary" post on AGF for the Retro. Within a few hours, a gracious member/collector offered his for sale. He evidently enjoyed it, but had 23 other guitars with more on the way. And, the price was more than fair and was approaching the price of the Eastman.

Had circumstances been different, I’d likely be waiting for delivery of an E20D TC. Or, if I’d gone with my gut initially, and not my engineering curiosity, I’d already have the E20D TC. Either way, it’s worked out well. And I appreciate the quality of the people on this forum.
Zissou Intern, Pura Vida, Bert like this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Double Tops - how are they holding up? Meathead 6 2,049 04-12-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Grandpa Bucky
  New DT30-GACE Double Top has arrived and lives up to all the hype. Grandpa Bucky 9 2,279 04-06-2023, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Grandpa Bucky
  DT30 OM Charlieb 3 988 07-27-2022, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida