12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved
Just curious, 12 frets are intriguing to me and I'm wondering what you've tried (any brand) and what you thought about them?
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
Dan - I love the rich tone of my E20P Parlour, typical of 12 frets with its bridge on the sweet spot of the lower bout. However, my favourite non-Eastman guitar is my 2005 Larrivee SD-50 slope shouldered dread - 12 fret, slotted headstock, Mahogany/Sitka tobacco burst. Achingly beautiful to look at, with a rich, sweet and clear tone. And loads of projection - no problem being heard. 1 7/8" nut and wide string spacing - a finger pickers delight. I suppose it's a bit of a niche guitar, but I would move my Martin 000-28 and Bourgeois EIR OM on before it. 
Dan - you must try a 12 fret when you get the chance.
vashondan, pszy22, rew like this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(10-02-2021, 06:52 AM)AlanSam Wrote: Dan - I love the rich tone of my E20P Parlour, typical of 12 frets with its bridge on the sweet spot of the lower bout. However, my favourite non-Eastman guitar is my 2005 Larrivee SD-50 slope shouldered dread - 12 fret, slotted headstock, Mahogany/Sitka tobacco burst. Achingly beautiful to look at, with a rich, sweet and clear tone. And loads of projection - no problem being heard. 1 7/8" nut and wide string spacing - a finger pickers delight. I suppose it's a bit of a niche guitar, but I would move my Martin 000-28 and Bourgeois EIR OM on before it. 

Wow, that's quite a testimonial.  Yeah, I'm looking for something different from what I have for a next guitar and it's narrowed to either a 12 fret and/or an all mahogany.

Wow!

AlanSam likes this post
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
(10-02-2021, 06:52 AM)AlanSam Wrote: I love the rich tone of my E20P Parlour, typical of 12 frets with its bridge on the sweet spot of the lower bout.

I also have a E20P, it is one of my favorite guitars.  I knew I'd like it before I bought it, but it has exceeded my expectations and just keeps getting better and better sounding.
vashondan and AlanSam like this post
It never moves any faster than it's supposed to go - Taj Mahal

2017 Waterloo WL-14X
2019 Martin 000-18
2021 Eastman E20P
2022 Martin 000-16
The Loar LO-215-SN
Yamaha FG-331

(10-02-2021, 07:13 AM)vashondan Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 06:52 AM)AlanSam Wrote: Dan - I love the rich tone of my E20P Parlour, typical of 12 frets with its bridge on the sweet spot of the lower bout. However, my favourite non-Eastman guitar is my 2005 Larrivee SD-50 slope shouldered dread - 12 fret, slotted headstock, Mahogany/Sitka tobacco burst. Achingly beautiful to look at, with a rich, sweet and clear tone. And loads of projection - no problem being heard. 1 7/8" nut and wide string spacing - a finger pickers delight. I suppose it's a bit of a niche guitar, but I would move my Martin 000-28 and Bourgeois EIR OM on before it. 

Wow, that's quite a testimonial.  Yeah, I'm looking for something different from what I have for a next guitar and it's narrowed to either a 12 fret and/or an all mahogany.

Wow!

Mine sounds better than this - maybe not a great recording.
vashondan likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Dan, what size of 12-fret are you looking for?  I see a lot of parlor / 0 size, and I think the 00 size is just about perfect.  But they also make them in full size 12-fret dread (and sizes in between).  Silly Moustache plays mostly 12-fret guitars and is a great resource, but others own 12-fret guitars and will certainly chime in.

My daughter has an Eastman E1OO-LTD, which is a 12-fret 00 with open pore Sapele and Adi top.  It sounds great and has a 1-3/4" nut width, which I prefer.  I've played the P and 00 models at an Eastman event, and I was impressed with their sound.  The 12-fret design does a lot to provide additional sound from these small bodies.

Zissou Intern is holding out for a 12-fret dread... he calls it a Smeckman!
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(10-05-2021, 11:32 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: Dan, what size of 12-fret are you looking for?  I see a lot of parlor / 0 size, and I think the 00 size is just about perfect.  But they also make them in full size 12-fret dread (and sizes in between).  Silly Moustache plays mostly 12-fret guitars and is a great resource, but others own 12-fret guitars and will certainly chime in.

My daughter has an Eastman E1OO-LTD, which is a 12-fret 00 with open pore Sapele and Adi top.  It sounds great and has a 1-3/4" nut width, which I prefer.  I've played the P and 00 models at an Eastman event, and I was impressed with their sound.  The 12-fret design does a lot to provide additional sound from these small bodies.

Zissou Intern is holding out for a 12-fret dread... he calls it a Smeckman!

Hey PV,  Thanks.  I'm not totally sure yet about size but I don't think I'm looking for a Parlor but don't hold me to it.  I was thinking about a grand concert or 000 type size or even a dreadnaught.  There's a couple of Taylors I've been looking at particularly their 324?  I think that's the number.   I don't like the 00015's but not because they don't sound good.  Still early so we'll see where the journey takes me.  Smeckman?   Zissou, explain!
D18 

Joni Mitchell

Wow!

Why not do both and get a Martin 000-15SM all mahogany 12 fret?  Kill two birds…
(10-05-2021, 01:00 PM)Cachecropp Wrote:

Wow!

Why not do both and get a Martin 000-15SM all mahogany 12 fret?  Kill two birds… 

Yeah, that's an option.  My only concern is the minimalist  look of the guitar.
D18 

Joni Mitchell
Zissou can chime in, if I get the details wrong... but he's longed for Eastman to make a slope dread (think E10SS), but with a 1-3/4" nut width (a request many of us share) and 12-fret dread body.  It's like a Gibson Roy Smeck, but made by Eastman, hence Smeckman!
Zissou Intern and vashondan like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young