Eastman Guitar Fans
12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved - Printable Version

+- Eastman Guitar Fans (https://www.eastmanguitarfans.com)
+-- Forum: Around the campfire (https://www.eastmanguitarfans.com/Forum-Around-the-campfire)
+--- Forum: Other Guitar Brands (https://www.eastmanguitarfans.com/Forum-Other-Guitar-Brands)
+--- Thread: 12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved (/Thread-12-Fretted-Guitars-You-ve-Tried-and-Loved)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved - vashondan - 10-02-2021

Just curious, 12 frets are intriguing to me and I'm wondering what you've tried (any brand) and what you thought about them?

RE: 12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved - AlanSam - 10-02-2021

Dan - I love the rich tone of my E20P Parlour, typical of 12 frets with its bridge on the sweet spot of the lower bout. However, my favourite non-Eastman guitar is my 2005 Larrivee SD-50 slope shouldered dread - 12 fret, slotted headstock, Mahogany/Sitka tobacco burst. Achingly beautiful to look at, with a rich, sweet and clear tone. And loads of projection - no problem being heard. 1 7/8" nut and wide string spacing - a finger pickers delight. I suppose it's a bit of a niche guitar, but I would move my Martin 000-28 and Bourgeois EIR OM on before it. 
Dan - you must try a 12 fret when you get the chance.

RE: 12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved - vashondan - 10-02-2021

(10-02-2021, 06:52 AM)AlanSam Wrote: Dan - I love the rich tone of my E20P Parlour, typical of 12 frets with its bridge on the sweet spot of the lower bout. However, my favourite non-Eastman guitar is my 2005 Larrivee SD-50 slope shouldered dread - 12 fret, slotted headstock, Mahogany/Sitka tobacco burst. Achingly beautiful to look at, with a rich, sweet and clear tone. And loads of projection - no problem being heard. 1 7/8" nut and wide string spacing - a finger pickers delight. I suppose it's a bit of a niche guitar, but I would move my Martin 000-28 and Bourgeois EIR OM on before it. 

Wow, that's quite a testimonial.  Yeah, I'm looking for something different from what I have for a next guitar and it's narrowed to either a 12 fret and/or an all mahogany.

Wow!

RE: 12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved - pszy22 - 10-02-2021

(10-02-2021, 06:52 AM)AlanSam Wrote: I love the rich tone of my E20P Parlour, typical of 12 frets with its bridge on the sweet spot of the lower bout.

I also have a E20P, it is one of my favorite guitars.  I knew I'd like it before I bought it, but it has exceeded my expectations and just keeps getting better and better sounding.

RE: 12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved - AlanSam - 10-02-2021

(10-02-2021, 07:13 AM)vashondan Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 06:52 AM)AlanSam Wrote: Dan - I love the rich tone of my E20P Parlour, typical of 12 frets with its bridge on the sweet spot of the lower bout. However, my favourite non-Eastman guitar is my 2005 Larrivee SD-50 slope shouldered dread - 12 fret, slotted headstock, Mahogany/Sitka tobacco burst. Achingly beautiful to look at, with a rich, sweet and clear tone. And loads of projection - no problem being heard. 1 7/8" nut and wide string spacing - a finger pickers delight. I suppose it's a bit of a niche guitar, but I would move my Martin 000-28 and Bourgeois EIR OM on before it. 

Wow, that's quite a testimonial.  Yeah, I'm looking for something different from what I have for a next guitar and it's narrowed to either a 12 fret and/or an all mahogany.

Wow!

Mine sounds better than this - maybe not a great recording.

RE: 12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved - Pura Vida - 10-05-2021

Dan, what size of 12-fret are you looking for?  I see a lot of parlor / 0 size, and I think the 00 size is just about perfect.  But they also make them in full size 12-fret dread (and sizes in between).  Silly Moustache plays mostly 12-fret guitars and is a great resource, but others own 12-fret guitars and will certainly chime in.

My daughter has an Eastman E1OO-LTD, which is a 12-fret 00 with open pore Sapele and Adi top.  It sounds great and has a 1-3/4" nut width, which I prefer.  I've played the P and 00 models at an Eastman event, and I was impressed with their sound.  The 12-fret design does a lot to provide additional sound from these small bodies.

Zissou Intern is holding out for a 12-fret dread... he calls it a Smeckman!

RE: 12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved - vashondan - 10-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 11:32 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: Dan, what size of 12-fret are you looking for?  I see a lot of parlor / 0 size, and I think the 00 size is just about perfect.  But they also make them in full size 12-fret dread (and sizes in between).  Silly Moustache plays mostly 12-fret guitars and is a great resource, but others own 12-fret guitars and will certainly chime in.

My daughter has an Eastman E1OO-LTD, which is a 12-fret 00 with open pore Sapele and Adi top.  It sounds great and has a 1-3/4" nut width, which I prefer.  I've played the P and 00 models at an Eastman event, and I was impressed with their sound.  The 12-fret design does a lot to provide additional sound from these small bodies.

Zissou Intern is holding out for a 12-fret dread... he calls it a Smeckman!

Hey PV,  Thanks.  I'm not totally sure yet about size but I don't think I'm looking for a Parlor but don't hold me to it.  I was thinking about a grand concert or 000 type size or even a dreadnaught.  There's a couple of Taylors I've been looking at particularly their 324?  I think that's the number.   I don't like the 00015's but not because they don't sound good.  Still early so we'll see where the journey takes me.  Smeckman?   Zissou, explain!

RE: 12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved - Cachecropp - 10-05-2021

Wow!

Why not do both and get a Martin 000-15SM all mahogany 12 fret?  Kill two birds…

RE: 12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved - vashondan - 10-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 01:00 PM)Cachecropp Wrote:

Wow!

Why not do both and get a Martin 000-15SM all mahogany 12 fret?  Kill two birds… 

Yeah, that's an option.  My only concern is the minimalist  look of the guitar.

RE: 12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved - Pura Vida - 10-05-2021

Zissou can chime in, if I get the details wrong... but he's longed for Eastman to make a slope dread (think E10SS), but with a 1-3/4" nut width (a request many of us share) and 12-fret dread body.  It's like a Gibson Roy Smeck, but made by Eastman, hence Smeckman!