12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved
Has anyone tried the 12 fret Martin 00-18 Authentic 1931? I haven't I hasten to say, but I've been looking at one from afar. I find it interesting that in developing it Martin analysed an actual 1931 example scientifically, including running scans on the guitar to suss out every detail of its structure. It is as accurate a copy as it is possible to make. Two things strike me though. Firstly, as per the original, there is no Martin logo on the headstock, which is completely blank. And secondly, again true to the original, it has what a retailer called a standard taper neck, which has a slight 'V' profile. Personally I would have preferred a vertical Martin logo on the headstock - cosmetic I know, but it would have have looked sweet. And also a less 'left field' neck profile might have been preferred. Maybe overall it could be viewed as scientific/historical research resulting in a museum exhibition piece, and it probably meets the demand of a niche personal market too. But all that said, slavishly copying an earlier design isn't a particular virtue in my view, and from my highly subjective perspective certainly not in this case.
Has anyone played one of these?
Here be the obligatory vid: https://pegheadnation.com/instruments-ge...ntic-1931/
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
I find it interesting in Martin's authentic series is how acoustic guitar specs have changed over time, especially when it came to neck shapes and very light weight Back in those days on some models Martin stamped it's name on the back of the headstock. Personally I'm more inclined to the 00-17A 1931 authentic all mahogany model that features a baked top, adi braces with hide glue, 12 fret with 1 7/8" nut width.
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
Yes, the Martin 00-17 Authentic looks like one beautiful guitar, yet another I haven't played. Interestingly it has an ebony rod reinforcement rather then a metal truss rod, which will contribute somewhat to its overall lightness.
sagebrush tom likes this post
Alan
(11-09-2021, 09:35 AM)AlanSam Wrote: Yes, the Martin 00-17 Authentic looks like one beautiful guitar, yet another I haven't played. Interestingly it has an ebony rod reinforcement rather then a metal truss rod, which will contribute somewhat to its overall lightness.

Alan are you interested in playing as many Authentics to get a feel of what vintage pre-war guitars look and play like? Or are you thinking of owning one down the road without having to pay vintage prices?
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
(11-09-2021, 10:20 AM)sagebrush tom Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 09:35 AM)AlanSam Wrote: Yes, the Martin 00-17 Authentic looks like one beautiful guitar, yet another I haven't played. Interestingly it has an ebony rod reinforcement rather then a metal truss rod, which will contribute somewhat to its overall lightness.

Alan are you interested in playing as many Authentics to get a feel of what vintage pre-war guitars look and play like? Or are you thinking of owning one down the road without having to pay vintage prices?                          

Hi Tom - all the above. But yes, I am resigned to paying up for the privilege. I have put a bit aside, but it would still mean having to unload a couple of guitars. I was very very close to pulling the trigger on this Martin 0018 1931 Authentic today, but the neck worries me: https://www.peachguitars.com/cf-martin-0...system.htm
I'm sure I could negotiate a return clause, but the thought of going through the rigmarole of return shipping doesn't appeal. Got to make up my mind or it will be gone. Very stressful all round.
Pura Vida likes this post
Alan
Alan if my calculations are close that 00-18A costs around $6,798 US dollars which makes it's expensive to buy without knowing if you're going to like the neck shape or not. How far is Peach Guitars from you? If they have a return policy that works for you, why not pull the trigger? If not you'll never know if this guitar will work for you. I'm sure the guitar already sounds great. I love all the specs this model comes with.

As far as the V Shaped neck goes I had a Recording King RP1-326 parlor a few years ago that had a pronounced v in the neck that was great for planting my thumb on it making it very comfortable to hold and fret. Should have never sold that guitar but I moved it to help finance my 00-18. Good luck on your decision!
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
Thanks Tom - I will sleep on it, make a decision tomorrow and get on with my life!
Alan
If you plan to try and possibly return, if it doesn't work out, make sure you and Peach are aligned on the return policy.  Those Authentic models scratch very easily, and I've read a few stories about buyers running into return issues b/c they can't be re-sold as new.
AlanSam likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(11-09-2021, 03:53 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: If you plan to try and possibly return, if it doesn't work out, make sure you and Peach are aligned on the return policy.  Those Authentic models scratch very easily, and I've read a few stories about buyers running into return issues b/c they can't be re-sold as new.

Thanks Brian - I appreciate your input on this one!
Alan
Surprising to find the rather unsymmetrical top colouring on a guitar of this price. Can't see it impacting on sound or playability but maybe on resale value.

https://peachguitars.2dimg.com/106/_48a2...edae13.jpg

Maybe it only appeared gradually after construction and sale to the retailer. Or maybe they got a good discount.
Alan