12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved
I don't think I've yet played a 12-fret that I didn't like (which can be a problem.)  In order of preference I have an Eastman E10-00-M, E10-00, and an Alvarez Blues 51.  The Alvarez is a step down in tone from the Eastman's but that's probably due to a thinner body.  It's the least boxy sounding guitar of its size that I've played and has a laminated arched back which helps.  Each of the three sounds quite different than the others.  I passed on a Yairi 12-fret dread earlier this year, but only since I know something that large wouldn't get played as much as my smaller couch guitars.
vashondan and sagebrush tom like this post
Vapour I know what you mean about getting larger body guitars that end up rarely getting played. Lately locally I've been looking into trading my E20 OM SB for another 00 sized guitar. I looked at & played a 00-17S whiskey sunset Martin 12 fret. I really liked the guitar but started thinking if I made that deal I'd have four mahogany b & s 00's.  What I would prefer is another E20 model but in a 00 with of course rosewood. Perfect situation would be to have two Eastman 12 fret 00's and my Martin 14 fret 00's. Also I still can order a Santa Cruz 12 fret 00 that I've been procrastinating on for a couple of months since I got the green light on. Maybe when I go to Santa Cruz for XMAS knowing that Sylvan Music is nearby things could change. That is also known as GAS.
AlanSam and vashondan like this post
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
Tom - question. I have an E20P - great guitar. Is the neck of the OO (not SS) as chunky as the P? Obviously it has the same nut size.
I was also GASing a bit about a Martin O-18 (14 fret, 1 3/4" nut) - ever played one?

p.s. I would welcome input from any EGFers here.
sagebrush tom likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(11-05-2021, 03:45 PM)AlanSam Wrote: Tom - question. I have an E20P - great guitar. Is the neck of the OO (not SS) as chunky as the P? Obviously it has the same nut size.
I was also GASing a bit about a Martin O-18 (14 fret, 1 3/4" nut) - ever played one?

Yes the neck is as chunky as the P and same nut size. I have played a 0-18 and it has almost the same voice as it's bigger brother the 00-18. I'm totally into the 00 size but the 0-18 is a fantastic guitar and weights considerably less than your P. Also I think the lower bout is a tad smaller than your P. Besides the tone & playability the 18 series comes with genuine mahogany & sitka spruce top. Fit and finish are impeccable as Martin does a great job on it's 18 series. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised by a 0-18 if you play one. My 00-18 isn't going anywhere.
AlanSam likes this post
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
A 12 fret Martin 0-18 would be something to behold!

then I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lCazz25kBE

goodness me!
vashondan likes this post
Alan
(11-05-2021, 04:21 PM)sagebrush tom Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 03:45 PM)AlanSam Wrote: Tom - question. I have an E20P - great guitar. Is the neck of the OO (not SS) as chunky as the P? Obviously it has the same nut size.

Yes the neck is as chunky as the P and same nut size. I have played a 0-18 and it has almost the same voice as it's bigger brother the 00-18. I'm totally into the 00 size but the 0-18 is a fantastic guitar and weights considerably less than your P. Also I think the lower bout is a tad smaller than your P. Besides the tone & playability the 18 series comes with genuine mahogany & sitka spruce top. Fit and finish are impeccable as Martin does a great job on it's 18 series. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised by a 0-18 if you play one. My 00-18 isn't going anywhere. 

I am a tall guy (had to google the conversion) 6.3 feet / 1.90m and I am ok with a dread size wise. Also sonically, as I mainly strumm, but as I mostly sit on my couch to play, I found smaller sizes, even though lacking a bit in tone (fullness) very comfy to play, and if I didn‘t have a dread to conpare the sound I would be perfectly happy with a smaller size.

Thus, I bought the E8OM which I very much like, maybe I would prefer the Hog b/s a bit better as I find the RW a bit mellow and dark on the short scale (thinking of swapping with a E6OM tc alpine or E10OM tc.

I just saw a used Martin 00-18 being sold locally for a very competitive price. Few marks on the soundhole but otherwise clean. Guy sells a bunch, is 80yrs old and sells his collection.
Was wondering if I should check it out or if the 00 size is to small for rhythm singer songerwritter stuff? I believe John Frusciante played his album ‚curtains‘ which I love, on a Martin 00-18 and he strumms the crap out of that guitar.

if you havent heatd it, check it out: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBnpP...AUTOukx8nH
AlanSam likes this post
„I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things“ Tom Waits
(11-05-2021, 05:18 PM)Mitch Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 04:21 PM)sagebrush tom Wrote:

I am a tall guy (had to google the conversion) 6.3 feet / 1.90m and I am ok with a dread size wise. Also sonically, as I mainly strumm, but as I mostly sit on my couch to play, I found smaller sizes, even though lacking a bit in tone (fullness) very comfy to play, and if I didn‘t have a dread to conpare the sound I would be perfectly happy with a smaller size.

Thus, I bought the E8OM which I very much like, maybe I would prefer the Hog b/s a bit better as I find the RW a bit mellow and dark on the short scale (thinking of swapping with a E6OM tc alpine or E10OM tc.

I just saw a used Martin 00-18 being sold locally for a very competitive price. Few marks on the soundhole but otherwise clean. Guy sells a bunch, is 80yrs old and sells his collection.
Was wondering if I should check it out or if the 00 size is to small for rhythm singer songerwritter stuff? I believe John Frusciante played his album ‚curtains‘ which I love, on a Martin 00-18 and he strumms the crap out of that guitar.

if you havent heatd it, check it out: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBnpP...AUTOukx8nH 
No harm to check it out - at the very least it would broaden your knowledge for future reference! I listened to some of the J.F. - not bad at all.
Alan
Didn‘t want to highjack the thread with the 00-18, and JF album, sorry.

I actually wanted to ask about 12fret OMs, anyone played one? Not too many in the wild….

I played a Larrivee 12fret Vintage OM (gorgeous sunburst I recall) a long while back, remember liking it. But haven‘t had enough time nor was I specifically looking for one so didn‘t pay too much attention actually.
vashondan likes this post
„I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things“ Tom Waits
(11-05-2021, 04:52 PM)AlanSam Wrote: A 12 fret Martin 0-18 would be something to behold!

then I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lCazz25kBE

goodness me!

Very nice!
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
(11-06-2021, 04:34 AM)Mitch Wrote: Didn‘t want to highjack the thread with the 00-18, and JF album, sorry.

I actually wanted to ask about 12fret OMs, anyone played one? Not too many in the wild….

I played a Larrivee 12fret Vintage OM (gorgeous sunburst I recall) a long while back, remember liking it. But haven‘t had enough time nor was I specifically looking for one so didn‘t pay too much attention actually.

Don't know where your budget is Mitch but Martin makes two 12 fret 000's under $1,600 an all mahogany 000-15SM and a discontinued 000-17SM that comes with a sitka spruce top & mahogany b & s that comes up for sale every now and then. Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Collins, etc. all make 12 fret 000 but are getting up there in cost. 

That Music Villa 0-18 12 fret is a great guitar Alan and they also have a 00-28 12 fret with golden era Adirondack scalloped bracing I wouldn't mind trying out. 

P.S.
  If anybody is thinking of moving their E20 00, let me know....
AlanSam likes this post
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman