12 Fretted Guitars You/ve Tried and Loved
(10-21-2021, 09:38 AM)Mitch Wrote:
(10-21-2021, 08:41 AM)Zissou Intern Wrote: That picture is of my Guild. The Pono 12 fretters are long scale in the vein of Martin S models. I have played only one Pono guitar and a few of their ukes. The guitar was a D30, which it seems they don't make any longer. It was a long scale, slope shoulder, 14 fret, rosewood/Sitka dreadnought... think Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I liked it enough to try to buy it from the owner. There was a lot of Pono love on the Acoustic Guitar Forum 5-7 years ago.

Cheers ZI

Are the Ponos made in Hawaii or import vom Asia? Couldn‘t find infos on it. Just wondering. The OM30 from the Website you posted sounds very nice in the clip, kinda martin omjm like with Engelman/Rosewood. Very sweet. 

There is a used Guild Orpheum Adi/Rosewood  but 14 Frets on sale at the TFOA in Europe/Netherlands

(10-21-2021, 08:41 AM)Zissou Intern Wrote: That picture is of my Guild. The Pono 12 fretters are long scale in the vein of Martin S models. I have played only one Pono guitar and a few of their ukes. The guitar was a D30, which it seems they don't make any longer. It was a long scale, slope shoulder, 14 fret, rosewood/Sitka dreadnought... think Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I liked it enough to try to buy it from the owner. There was a lot of Pono love on the Acoustic Guitar Forum 5-7 years ago.

Cheers Zissou

couldn‘t find much infos online about Pono. do they import their Guitars from Asia or are they made by themselves?

there is a used Guild Orpheum RW/Adi but it is a 14 Fret, at the TFOA in The Netherlands, Europe. 

Mitch, I just did a search and it looks like they're made in Indonesia.  The DS 30 is pretty nice as well.
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
Pono has a factory on Java. 

There is a Guild Orpheum 12 Fret D for sale on Reverb right now. I think it's overpriced by 10-15%. Not because it's not great, but because no one knows anything about these. They're sleepers. If it had a different name of the headstock, it would be worth the asking price or more. Possibly someone could get the seller to go off Reverb and negotiate a lower price.
Pura Vida likes this post
(10-21-2021, 10:51 PM)Zissou Intern Wrote: Pono has a factory on Java. 

There is a Guild Orpheum 12 Fret D for sale on Reverb right now. I think it's overpriced by 10-15%. Not because it's not great, but because no one knows anything about these. They're sleepers. If it had a different name of the headstock, it would be worth the asking price or more. Possibly someone could get the seller to go off Reverb and negotiate a lower price.
I spotted that. It's advertised as Mahogany, but looks like Rosewood. I love mahogany 12 fretters so contacted him via Reverb to clarify but he clearly doesn't have a clue. He told me to go to the Guild website!? The serial number indicates it was built in New Hartford on Sat 17th August 2013, the 6th one completed that day. Not I think mahogany and anyway a tad too expensive for me at the moment, especially given that with UK taxes/import duties it would cost 25% more, plus the worry of shipping that distance. Pity.
Pura Vida likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Just to chime in here - I have always liked some of the 12 fretters that Taylor produces.  They are a bit above Eastman in price, but their neck, combined with the 12 fret size, makes for a very playable instrument.
noah, vashondan, Pura Vida, SasquatchLife like this post
(10-22-2021, 08:11 AM)Meathead Wrote: Just to chime in here - I have always liked some of the 12 fretters that Taylor produces.  They are a bit above Eastman in price, but their neck, combined with the 12 fret size, makes for a very playable instrument.

Yes, they're on my list.  Actually, high on the list!
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
Hey Alan, 
That Orpheum 12 D is Cuban mahogany. The Cuban has some EIR looking striping. Guild made a 14 fret D in both EIR and Cuban mahogany, but I have never seen the 12 fretter in EIR. There was a 14 fret EIR posted on the Denver Craigslist for a couple months this summer for $2200. If only I didn't have two kids in college right now...
ZI
Pura Vida and SasquatchLife like this post

Attached Files

Thanks Keith - if they never made any 12 fret Orpheum Rosewood dreads then that settles it! Really unusual looking mahogany though :- 
[Image: hfnehzwxysidhlec8mzs.jpg]
Alan
The used Rosewood 14 Fret at the TFOA looks like that (for comparison):

[Image: 39TnvWI.jpg]
AlanSam and Pura Vida like this post
„I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things“ Tom Waits
This is a review of the Guild Orpheum mahogany dread that Zissou and others have been discussing

https://youtu.be/TcAy0otLMXU

GAS GAS GAS GAS
Zissou Intern and vashondan like this post
Alan
(10-31-2021, 10:44 AM)AlanSam Wrote: This is a review of the Guild Orpheum mahogany dread that Zissou and others have been discussing

https://youtu.be/TcAy0otLMXU

GAS GAS GAS GAS

Very nice.  Thanks.  No nothing about Guild's
D18 

Joni Mitchell