Source for Antique Acoustic Bridge Pins with 3° Taper?
An easy way to test if your bridge is slotted is to turn the slotted bridge pins around and if they still fit - the string is going into the bridge slot now and not the pin slot - then the bridge is slotted. You can do this if you have a slotted bridge but want to use slotted pins. 

My E10SS is ramped but not slotted.
Thanks for the info guys. 

Always something new to learn. Even at my advanced years.
SneakyDeaky and Pura Vida like this post
Roger
(05-27-2022, 07:49 PM)TTiimm Wrote:
(05-27-2022, 06:20 PM)R22 Wrote: Hey TTiimm,

Check out Bob Colosi's site.

https://www.guitarsaddles.com/

Thanks Roger.  I am aware of Mr. Colosi's site but I'm not looking for bone, horn or fossilized ivory.

I'm looking for Antique Acoustic brand pins. They are made from Galalith.

Actually, I would take any brand as long as they are the same material.

Stew Mac carries Galalith pins under the Waverly name but not with 3° taper. 
(05-30-2022, 08:00 AM)R22 Wrote: Thanks for the info guys. 

Always something new to learn. Even at my advanced years.

I'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff, and I'm a terrible handyman, but my understanding is, "ramping" are those grooves which are cut from the pin holes towards the saddle, they are shallow and help the string's break angle. Slotted pin holes have a slot right through the bridge to the bridge plate, so the string rests through the slot, creating better break angle and connection with the bridge apparently improving sound. I think lol

Basically the slots you see in slotted pins is made in the bridge instead. Bridges apparently used to be slotted in the old days? I don't specifically know when it fell out of fashion. Most Collings guitars today come stock with a slotted bridge and unslotted pins.
Update: Factory plastic pins in an all mahogany Martin 000-15 were replaced with Antique Acoustic (galalith). The improvement was substantial - sustain and clarity of mids and trebles especially. This is consistent with previous results on a lower-end all sapele guitar. I would recommend galalith pins on an all mahogany guitar equipped with plastic pins, especially given the relatively low price of the galalith pins.

In terms of Eastman, the jury has not yet been seated. It will be a few weeks before I convert the E10OM-TC from 3° ebony to 5° galalith. I'll post results here.
================================
Always do the easy and cheap thing first.
If you're referring to bridge pin material used on Martin 15 series, they do not use plastic pins only ebony. I'm on my 3rd 15 series model and all came with ebony pins. Other Martin models use plastic pins but not the 15 series. Maybe the ones built up thru 2010 might have.
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
(06-06-2022, 04:00 PM)sagebrush tom Wrote: If you're referring to bridge pin material used on Martin 15 series, they do not use plastic pins only ebony. I'm on my 3rd 15 series model and all came with ebony pins. Other Martin models use plastic pins but not the 15 series. Maybe the ones built up thru 2010 might have.

Thank you. You are correct. I was thinking of my D Jr which came with plastic pins. The Streetmaster had ebony pins.

The galalith pins improved tone quite a bit as compared to the ebony pins, but not as much as they did on the D Jr which came with plastic pins. It was still very noticeable though.

I'm going to swap the Eastman E10OM-TC ebony pins for AA galalith pins and see what happens.
IMHO, it mostly depends on the mass change between the different pins and how that relates to the overall bridge mass, which is why it affects different guitars in different ways.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(06-06-2022, 08:17 PM)TTiimm Wrote:
(06-06-2022, 04:00 PM)sagebrush tom Wrote: If you're referring to bridge pin material used on Martin 15 series, they do not use plastic pins only ebony. I'm on my 3rd 15 series model and all came with ebony pins. Other Martin models use plastic pins but not the 15 series. Maybe the ones built up thru 2010 might have.

Thank you. You are correct. I was thinking of my D Jr which came with plastic pins. The Streetmaster had ebony pins.

The galalith pins improved tone quite a bit as compared to the ebony pins, but not as much as they did on the D Jr which came with plastic pins. It was still very noticeable though.

I'm going to swap the Eastman E10OM-TC ebony pins for AA galalith pins and see what happens.  

Never have played a D Jr. but my 00-18 has black plastic pins that the guitar came with. The overall tone of this 00 is great so looking at exchanging pins hasn't appeared on my radar. I've focused on type of strings to enhance the tone of this great little guitar. SCGC parabolic low tension strings are my string of choice. In fact I use them on al my guitars except the 000-15sm which get retro lights.

If I was playing out again I probably would be looking at a few things to improve tone. But then again my experience of playing live most people don't care really how the guitar sounds but are happy if they know the songs you're playing.

(06-06-2022, 08:17 PM)TTiimm Wrote:

Never have played a D Jr. but my 00-18 has black plastic pins that the guitar came with. The overall tone of this 00 is great so looking at exchanging pins hasn't appeared on my radar. I've focused on type of strings to enhance the tone of this great little guitar. SCGC parabolic low tension strings are my string of choice. In fact I use them on al my guitars except the 000-15sm which get retro lights.

If I was playing out again I probably would be looking at a few things to improve tone. But then again my experience of playing live most people don't care really how the guitar sounds but are happy if they know the songs you're playing.
Mitch likes this post
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
I'm a gear-head and this is a hobby. It's fun, that's all. Nothing more.

It's something to do besides sitting in front of the computer and I don't own or pay for TV.

$24 for new pins isn't a big deal. The tone was great. Now it is greater. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman AC422CE Tusq Bridge Pins vs. Ebony or Plain Wood - Any Preference? tinnitus 3 2,066 06-06-2023, 05:12 AM
Last Post: pL9577
  Slotted or unslotted bridge pins cfranchi 23 7,614 01-06-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: DonO
  Ebony or bone bridge pins? hardycreek1 9 3,236 07-19-2022, 11:21 AM
Last Post: sleigh