Slotted or unslotted bridge pins
I have E20D-TC : are the bridge pins slotted or unslotted ?
I have understood that you need to have the right bridge pins format depending of the bridge.
Eastman E8OM-TC
Eastman E20D-TC
Don't know how your particular guitar is set up, but the format of the proper pins is based on how the holes in your bridge is configured  (not much to do with the saddle).  If your bridge holes are slotted, then you can use unslotted pins.  If the bridge pin holes are not slotted, then the pins need to be slotted to provide enough space for the strings.

[Image: Ramps.JPG]
It never moves any faster than it's supposed to go - Taj Mahal

2017 Waterloo WL-14X
2019 Martin 000-18
2021 Eastman E20P
2022 Martin 000-16
The Loar LO-215-SN
Yamaha FG-331

Thank you, I’ll take a look at the bridge, I guess the holes are slotted.
Eastman E8OM-TC
Eastman E20D-TC
I've never heard of Eastman slotting bridges. I believe if you loosen string tension and pull a bridge pin you'll find that it is slotted. The bridge pin should be installed with the slot facing the string.
Al30906 likes this post
what is the benefit of a slotted Bridge AND slotted Pins?
„I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things“ Tom Waits
None. It shouldn’t be done.
(05-31-2022, 06:51 AM)John-K Wrote: None. It shouldn’t be done.

thanks
need to re-check when changing strings next, but I believe my E8OM has slotted pins. Definitely a slotted bridge. Maybe I am competly confused today but I am quite sure. always wondered.
Need to check my new E10SS TC as well when changing the strings for the first time. The Bridge is slotted. Guess all Eastmans are?
My Faith has a non slotted bridge and therefore slotted Pins. Always find it hard to fit the Pin on the top string.
There are slotted and unslotted bridges as well as ramped bridges. The ramp is a short slot right at the bridge pin hole that helps with break angle over the saddle. From every Eastman that I have owned - they are ramped and not slotted. The pictures above show ramps which may be connected to slots or may not. To confirm - place a mirror inside and look at the bridge plate. Do the slots extend all the may through? My understanding of the advantage of a slotted bridge is less potential wear and tear on the bridge plate. (See below) I believe Uncle Jesse is a big proponent of slotting the bridge.

Slotted bridge = unslotted pins. Unslotted bridge = slotted pins with the slot facing the saddle. 

[Image: qJaoGoG.jpg]
Shishigashira, Pura Vida, Hanns like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
(05-31-2022, 07:25 AM)TomC Wrote: There are slotted and unslotted bridges as well as ramped bridges. The ramp is a short slot right at the bridge pin hole that helps with break angle over the saddle. From every Eastman that I have owned - they are ramped and not slotted. The pictures above show ramps which may be connected to slots or may not. To confirm - place a mirror inside and look at the bridge plate. Do the slots extend all the may through? My understanding of the advantage of a slotted bridge is less potential wear and tear on the bridge plate. (See below) I believe Uncle Jesse is a big proponent of slotting the bridge.

Slotted bridge = unslotted pins. Unslotted bridge = slotted pins with the slot facing the saddle. 

[Image: qJaoGoG.jpg]

cheers Tom! learnt something new! so a ramped bridge can use slotted pins. That will be my Eastman's I guess.
Pura Vida likes this post
(05-31-2022, 06:51 AM)John-K Wrote:

None. It shouldn’t be done.

Just thought I'd share this video from a luthier explaining the benefits of a slotted bridge.  As anything on the internet, take it with whatever amount of salt is necessary.  But I wouldn't state categorically that there is no benefit.  Some discussion in the comments suggest that a lot of the benefit is due to the improved break angle for the strings.  Still, slotting the bridge is something I've considered having done to my guitars, but haven't had a chance to discuss with my luthier.
Hanns likes this post
2020 Eastman E10SS/V; 2020 Eastman E2D; 2020 Yamaha FS830; 2021 Farida OT-22W; 2022 Alvarez MD60BG; 2022 AC630 SB; 2023 Eastman AC622CE

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman AC422CE Tusq Bridge Pins vs. Ebony or Plain Wood - Any Preference? tinnitus 3 2,065 06-06-2023, 05:12 AM
Last Post: pL9577
  Ebony or bone bridge pins? hardycreek1 9 3,235 07-19-2022, 11:21 AM
Last Post: sleigh
  Source for Antique Acoustic Bridge Pins with 3° Taper? TTiimm 19 5,703 06-07-2022, 08:22 AM
Last Post: TTiimm