Serial Numbers
(01-29-2023, 12:27 PM)Charlieb Wrote: sure this is posted somewhere but wth, can't have enough
 Serial Numbers>Can you provide a manufactured date based on my serial number? Eastman has had multiple serial number variations over the years. Here is a brief overview of our serial number systems. If your serial number does not fall under the criteria listed, please Contact Us.
  • 2020 – Current
    • Letter designates product category, and first 2 digits are the year
  • 2016 – 2019
    • 1st and 3rd number are the year. 2nd number is the month(s)
      • 1 = January/February
      • 2 = March/April
      • 3 = May/June
      • 4 = July/August
      • 5 = September/October
      • 6 = November/December
    • Example: 15712345
      • September/October of 2017
  • 2014 – 2016
    • 1st and 4th digit are the year. 2nd and 3rd number designate the month.

I'm skeptical of this system because I've been seeing a lot of SB59's listed as "new" from dealers with serial numbers that would indicate 2017.

Here's an example: https://reverb.com/item/62762291-eastman...-finish?bk=
(01-30-2023, 03:21 AM)pszy22 Wrote: Another thing I found interesting regarding guitar related documentation.  THere is a recent posting in which the author posted a picture of the instrument label and COA of the guitar.  The label had the serial number written by hand, and the COA was filled out using the same handwriting.  I assume both were filled out at the same time as well.

If this was not just a one-time occurrence, the serial number on the instrument and the date on the COA should be in synch.  OF course, this could be a flier since the sample size is one.

I've been seeing *many* SB59's with COA dates that contradict their serial numbers, according to the serial number decoder...
Exile, this is taken directly from Eastman's website, and the numbering change to the M2xxxxxxx logic a couple of years ago, so that part is all legit.  That being said, Eastman seems to have older guitars pop up from time to time.  I couldn't explain why, but a good example is a 2019 DT30GACE that my friend recently purchased directly (he's an artist, so was able to buy directly).  And we've seen some older models pop up at Dave's Guitar Shop (the all Mahogany E10 00 comes to mind).

In 2019, I bought a new E8D from LA Guitar Sales, and when it arrived, it had a 2016 COA date.  I was confused about this, and Ted confirmed that he only had it in his shop for a few months, so the guitar had some mysterious origins for its first three years.  Also, the s/n logic matched, as well as the fact that the pickguard wasn't pre-installed (something they changed between 2016 and 2019).

In the case of this SB, I'm willing to bet that guitar has 2017 specs (pickups, hardware), even if Fullers hasn't had it in their inventory for the entire time.
ExileOnMeatspace likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(02-08-2023, 07:40 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Exile, this is taken directly from Eastman's website, and the numbering change to the M2xxxxxxx logic a couple of years ago, so that part is all legit.  That being said, Eastman seems to have older guitars pop up from time to time.  I couldn't explain why, but a good example is a 2019 DT30GACE that my friend recently purchased directly (he's an artist, so was able to buy directly).  And we've seen some older models pop up at Dave's Guitar Shop (the all Mahogany E10 00 comes to mind).

In 2019, I bought a new E8D from LA Guitar Sales, and when it arrived, it had a 2016 COA date.  I was confused about this, and Ted confirmed that he only had it in his shop for a few months, so the guitar had some mysterious origins for its first three years.  Also, the s/n logic matched, as well as the fact that the pickguard wasn't pre-installed (something they changed between 2016 and 2019).

In the case of this SB, I'm willing to bet that guitar has 2017 specs (pickups, hardware), even if Fullers hasn't had it in their inventory for the entire time.

Really appreciate it. Looks like a batch of 2017's landed in the US over the past year or two.

Oddly I don't think I've seen a letter-prefix SB59 listing so far.
Pura Vida likes this post
Back in July I found out about the true tone finish. I was curious if my sb57 was true tone or nitrocellulose finished. I started researching all the SB series that I could find on reverb. It seemed that all the SB Series guitar with the exception of limited edition 54s all started with the prefix 1275. I am hoping that my guitar that I ordered early 2021 and received in April of 2022 was already finished and waiting to be shipped prior to the true tone switch over. Either way it is one of the best guitars I've ever played in my life

There is a post from me this last July with what I had found
Pura Vida likes this post
(02-11-2023, 04:12 PM)Muskyjerk Wrote: Back in July I found out about the true tone finish. I was curious if my sb57 was true tone or nitrocellulose finished. I started researching all the SB series that I could find on reverb. It seemed that all the SB Series guitar with the exception of limited edition 54s all started with the prefix 1275. I am hoping that my guitar that I ordered early 2021 and received in April of 2022 was already finished and waiting to be shipped prior to the true tone switch over. Either way it is one of the best guitars I've ever played in my life

There is a post from me this last July with what I had found

Try some acetone in the control cavity
I'm glad they are keeping track....always nice to know!