Serial Numbers
Hello all.
My name is David, I’m from Belgium (Europe)
I just bought a 2008 AC710SC and can’t find any informations on it.
It have an open headstock with side tuners, a cutaway and is made from a really nice choice of woods.
Its serial number is IT004, really strange ...
Can someone help me identifying it ?
Thank you for your kind help.

PS: is there an easy way to post pictures ?
Hi, David.  The easiest way to post photos is to click on the "i" icon in the toolbar.  It will open up a window to select your photos, which will upload automatically.  I think I found your guitar for sale on Reverb (maybe the seller didn't remove the listing):  https://reverb.com/item/27659560-eastman...08-natural

That's a very early model, and you're right... the s/n is unique.  The s/n begins with "IT," and the seller on Reverb was based in Italy, so I wonder if it was a limited run for an Italian dealer.  Some of the other European EGF members can chime in with contact info, but I think you could contact Eastman's European office with questions (or try Eastman's main website).

The AC7xx models signify Rosewood bodies, which yours has.  The new models (AC722ce) say that the tops are European Spruce, but previously, they were Engelmann tops.  Given the guitar's age, I am guessing it's an Engelmann top.

(side note: I'm not sure if Eastman simply re-branded their Engelmann to European, since some people will call Engelmann by that name, even though it's sourced in the Western US... or if they actually changed the tops to European Spruce, sourced out of Central Europe.  The difference is in the headroom.  Engelmann is less dense and has less headroom, while European has much more headroom -- like Adirondack)
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I saw an early Eastman archtop jazz box on sale on Ebay UK about a year ago. It was apparently the first of its kind imported to the UK, and its serial number began 'UK'.
Pura Vida likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Eastman has apparently changed its serial numbering system. I saw one online with a SN of M2008988. Sent an email to Pomona and they replied today, “..this is our new numbering system for 2020 models.”

They didn’t give any clues as to how decipher the numbers, but there you have it.

Any code breakers out there?
I interpreted it as M20 = 2020, and 08988 as the number of guitar produced.  I was looking at a guitar on a dealer website, and it had serial number M20108xx, so I'm guessing they made about 1800 guitars in between.  If they started at M2000001, then it would provide some insight into their overall production, although we'd have to see if their electric guitars follow the same or use a different variation.
(10-02-2020, 09:38 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: I interpreted it as M20 = 2020, and 08988 as the number of guitar produced.  I was looking at a guitar on a dealer website, and it had serial number M20108xx, so I'm guessing they made about 1800 guitars in between.  If they started at M2000001, then it would provide some insight into their overall production, although we'd have to see if their electric guitars follow the same or use a different variation.

Got a further response from “corporate” saying: “The M does not stand for anything, but it is a code for our acoustic guitars.”

Presumably electrics have a different letter in front of the serial #, and - if your guess is
right - it’d mean that’s a lot of acoustics!
I was going to suggest another theory, where the 08 in M2008 meant August, but that fails when the other guitar I saw in September had M2010xxx (which would indicate October).  I'd agree that's a lot of guitars, if they really started at M2000001.  We may not know unless we come across a low number, or until we see some M21xxxxx showing up after the new year.
I found something interesting, this shop shows the serial numbers of the guitars they have in stock and they have a lot of Eastmans.  It seems that aside "M" for acoustics, "L" is for archtops and "P" for electrics. Then the first digits are always "20" so as you said it's most probably for the year of manufacture. And then I guess they are probably numbered in the order they are made independently of the specific model. I didn't browse all the inventory but I noticed that electrics and archtops have very low numbers compared to acoustics
That's a good find.  I think we have it fairly right.  Perhaps the electric guitars transitioned into this numbering later, which would explain the lower numbers (or maybe this shop has just had its electric inventory for longer).
mouks likes this post
Hi,
My name is Rudolf and i'm from Belgium. (Europe)
Today i bought an eastman T486 classic brand new with the serial number T2000199....
The music store had the guitar for several months and is sure that the guitar was shipped to Belgium early this year....
I send several emails to Eastman today with some questions about the dating and serial numbers.....
I wil post the answers when i get them.....
It is a perfect guitar (i have an Gibson es 335 to ) and the Eastman is prettier..(sorry bad Englisch writing)
payed about €1200......with case....
Pura Vida likes this post