Ping RM 1171 to Schaller M6 Vintage tuner swap
If anyone is looking to do this swap, the Schaller tuners are a drop in fit. I have also changed out Grover Rotomatics with this model of Schaller with the same result, they drop right in.
Both have the straight drop screw hole on the back of the tuner and align perfectly. Both have the screw in bushing as opposed to press fit. The Schaller washer is a touch larger in circumference.
On which model did you do the upgrade?
This was a recently acquired PCH3 maple dreadnought. It appears that Eastman has used this model of Ping tuners on some other models as well.
I've also replaced the Grovers on a Gibson Songwriter with the same model of Schaller. This too was a direct fit.
Since I couldn't find any schematics on the Ping tuners, I thought this information might be helpful to others.
AlanSam likes this post
(07-19-2020, 08:14 AM)EP1 Wrote: If anyone is looking to do this swap, the Schaller tuners are a drop in fit. I have also changed out Grover Rotomatics with this model of Schaller with the same result, they drop right in.
Both have the straight drop screw hole on the back of the tuner and align perfectly. Both have the screw in bushing as opposed to press fit. The Schaller washer is a touch larger in circumference.

I'm looking to replace the tuners of my AC222CE as they sometimes go out of tune after some bends. It seems like my guitar has the same Ping RM 1171 than the PCH series. Are you happy with the Schallers?
Hi mouks,
Yes I am very happy with them. The tuning is smoother and very stable. The Schaller's have a very solid feel. I'm glad I made the change.
Good luck with your decision.
Pura Vida likes this post
(09-18-2020, 06:47 PM)EP1 Wrote: Hi mouks,
Yes I am very happy with them. The tuning is smoother and very stable. The Schaller's have a very solid feel. I'm glad I made the change.
Good luck with your decision.

Thanks! I decided to try the Waverlys, they seem to have good reviews as well and I like this design on an acoustic
I know this is an old thread, but I want to thank EP1 for posting his experience changing from Ping to the Schaller M6 tuners.

I think I am going to order the M6 tuners with the blackchrome finish for my AC222CE.  The guitar is plain with black binding, so I think the blackchrome tuners will look great.  I would not have had the confidence to order these (since they are made to order/non returnable) if he had not listed his experience.

Minor detail - I don't see "vintage" listed anywhere on the Schaller site.  Maybe the vintage version has been discontinued.

CJ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Swap E6-SS TC pickguard for Gibson batwing? Greg1075 4 636 01-07-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: TomC
  Tuner swap E2D? SasquatchLife 9 1,546 03-13-2023, 07:56 AM
Last Post: SasquatchLife
  Changing Ping V93Ns to Gotoh SE700 - E10D Tagore 16 5,321 07-13-2020, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida