Tuner swap E2D?
Does anyone have any experience with swapping out tuners on an E2D, or any E series for that matter? I just want it to be a drop-in replacement. I really don't want to have to do any drilling/reaming or mods. Just want a drop-in. I've read that Schallers, some Gotohs, and possibly Golden Age tuners will drop-in just fine. I'm wanting some cream colored buttons.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Pura Vida likes this post
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
I have done several. If memory serves the Schaller GrandTunes are direct replacement without any additional modification. I am not sure if they can be had with cream color buttons. IMHO the Gotoh SE700s are the best for the money but you will need to open up the back of the headstock just a skosh to account for the rings at the base of the posts. When shopping look for turners with a 23-24 mm spread on the mounting screws. Several of the options have a full 1" ( 25.4 mm) spread and may require new mounting screws. A couple of good sources are Guitar Hey or Arkansas Music Works. I have used Schallers three times (one set was bad and I had to swap out 4 of the 6), Gotoh (several times and always good) and Kluson on my E6SS-TC to kind of go Gibsonesque. The Klusons were direct install without any mods. - https://reverb.com/item/33318957-kluson-...kd-3-np?bk=

[Image: FzNcV6Q.jpg]

Good luck
Pura Vida, SasquatchLife, Guzzi Fan like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Thanks for the info, that definitely helps!

I saw on another post you did that the StewMac Golden Age were direct replacement too? I've been eyeing those since they have cream buttons. I've heard mixed reviews on them, but I'm not picky about tuners. I know a lot of ppl don't like the stock Pings, but they've always kept tune just fine on all of my Eastmans. I'm mainly wanting a different cosmetic look with the cream.
AlanSam likes this post
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
The Golden Age have the narrower distance between the mounting screws. I had them on two different Iris guitars and they are just ok to frustrating. Both sets were very tight but they held tuning. From my experience the Gotoh and Kluson are much better.
SasquatchLife and Pura Vida like this post

I agree with Tom. The Gotoh SE700’s are the easiest to install. I used a fine cut reamer, pictured, to countersink the peg hole on the back of the headstock. I did it by hand because this reamer is very sharp and you only have to countersink like a 1/16”. Good luck with your search.

Don

[Image: 5zcxN9Q.jpg][Image: 7U5hi14.jpg]
TomC, sleigh, Guzzi Fan, SasquatchLife, Pura Vida like this post
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45

Kind of agree with DonO above. I have a 5 degree taper and it only took a couple turns. I did it by hand without power tools.
SasquatchLife and sleigh like this post

(03-12-2023, 04:37 PM)DonO Wrote: I agree with Tom. The Gotoh SE700’s are the easiest to install. I used a fine cut reamer, pictured, to countersink the peg hole on the back of the headstock. I did it by hand because this reamer is very sharp and you only have to countersink like a 1/16”. Good luck with your search.

Don

[Image: 5zcxN9Q.jpg][Image: 7U5hi14.jpg]

Did the Gotohs fit the stock bushings though? I really don't want to mess with removing bushings since they're glued in. Or I'll just pay a local luthier to do the whole install. Thanks!
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
Sas
The Gotohs will probably not fit the original bushings. They have a shaft of 6.25 mm and the Pings are 6.0. The Golden Age sets 2516 or 2517 have cream buttons and 6 mm shafts with 23.7 mm spacing on the mounting screws. They should be dimensionally identical to the Pings. With that said:
1) It is recommended to use the bushings that come with the tuners.
2) Bushings should not be glued in. They are a press fit.
sleigh, Pura Vida, SasquatchLife like this post

I removed the bushings on my E10ss and they were not glued in. I think it’s best to use the bushings that come with the new tuners so you don’t experience any binding etc. I took a piece of wood dowl and gently tapped the bushings and they came out fairly easy. If you don’t feel comfortable doing so, I would go with the Golden Age tuners or let a luthier do the install.

Don
sleigh, Pura Vida, TomC, SasquatchLife like this post
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45

Thanks for the advice Tom and Don. I thought the bushings were glued in because there are several threads on EGF and AGF stating they are glued in. I'll get me a wood dowel and will take one of the tuners off to see, and go from there. Thanks again, this has been most helpful.
Pura Vida likes this post
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Swap E6-SS TC pickguard for Gibson batwing? Greg1075 4 660 01-07-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: TomC
  Ping RM 1171 to Schaller M6 Vintage tuner swap EP1 6 4,629 05-20-2022, 10:11 AM
Last Post: cjhorne