Swap E6-SS TC pickguard for Gibson batwing?
Thinking of replacing the stock Eastman pickguard with a Holter Gibson batwing mostly for cosmetic reasons, but I know nothing about this type of customization. Is that foolish? Is there a risk that the guitar finish might get damaged? There is a very competent luthier by me and I wouldn't do it myself, but still wondering what the swap would entail.
a
Also, I'm not sure which between 50s vintage, 60s vintage, 50s reissue or 60s reissue would fit, if any. Has anyone installed any of the above on an Eastman slope shoulder?

Cheers,

Greg
Greg
Communicate with Taylor. He will be able to give you some ideas on what will work. I think it will mostly be based on your aesthetic preference. Interesting choice on a natural top. Post some pics if you do it.

And to add - changing pickguards isn't that difficult. One thing you might want to consider is the natural top E6SS has more of a look of the original and re-issue J-35s. The only Eastman's that I can remember having the batwing guard is the E10SSv on some years. Other years had the standard tear drop shape. Taylor can make you a wicked J-35 fire stripe guard. And it will look very nice.[Image: 024Aktu.jpg]
TomC
Zissou Intern likes this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Greg - as Tom says, changing a pickguard isn't that difficult and there are lots of vids around to guide you.

Taylor has a great reputation for making bespoke pickguards. Don't know whether he does batwings but you could shop around and find one - imo they can look superb.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(01-06-2024, 08:03 PM)TomC Wrote: Greg
Communicate with Taylor. He will be able to give you some ideas on what will work. I think it will mostly be based on your aesthetic preference. Interesting choice on a natural top. Post some pics if you do it.

And to add - changing pickguards isn't that difficult. One thing you might want to consider is the natural top E6SS has more of a look of the original and re-issue J-35s. The only Eastman's that I can remember having the batwing guard is the E10SSv on some years. Other years had the standard tear drop shape. Taylor can make you a wicked J-35 fire stripe guard. And it will look very nice.[Image: 024Aktu.jpg]
TomC

Thank you both for the feedback. I will get in touch with Taylor. In terms of the choice, I was going for J-50 aesthetics. I will see what Taylor recommends.

On a side note, Tom, I came across the 2018 thread where you were sharing the mods you did to your E6SS, and saw that you were in MN. I live in St Paul, and recently bought mine used from a gentleman also named Tom. For a second there, I thought the E6SS in that thread was mine, then I saw the changes to the tuners and realized that it wasn't haha.
Timelessdrifter, TomC, AlanSam like this post
Greg
Good choice in guitars. Mine ended in up Georgia. I have an impatient tendency to rent guitars and then move them on. Good luck with whichever you decided.
Tom
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up E6SS-TC with batwing pickguard (pics) Greg1075 4 777 02-02-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Timelessdrifter
  Tuner swap E2D? SasquatchLife 9 1,549 03-13-2023, 07:56 AM
Last Post: SasquatchLife