Changing Ping V93Ns to Gotoh SE700 - E10D
Hello all,
Proud second owner of an Eastman E10D. Boy does it sing. Not so impressed with the Ping machine heads though and looking at changing them out. Guitar is around 3 years old I am told. 
Anyone have experience of changing the pings out for Gotohs and did the bushings need changing or can I just slot the Gotoh SE700s into the Ping Bushings?
Concerned that some had issues changing out the bushings as they were firmly glued in place.
Cheers
To replace your Ping machine heads you are going to have to remove them at some stage - why not try it now? Maybe easier to measure up too. Then if you wish, put them back in until you get the replacements.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Yes. Took one out for a measure (couldnt easily remove the bushing though so stopped short there) and the SE700 seem to be pretty close in dimensions though cannot be certain without measuring callipers that the tuning post is of the right diameter to fit easily and hopefully prevent me needing to change out the ping bushings when making the switch. t
I have changed out a few sets of tuning machines, none on my Eastmans. 

I have found the majority of tuning machines  to be one of two diameter, 8.5mm or 10mm.  You need to measure yours.  If you don’t have calipers take a tuning machine down to your local guitar shop and ask them to measure it. 

Your  more difficult issue will be the mounting screw location. I think the e10d has vintage style machines, I have found those to be difficult to replace regarding the mounting holes.

Stewmac has a complete set of dimensions, including mounting holes, for the ones they carry.  It is a nice reference. 

Good luck.
[Image: gotoh-se700-06mnb-set-of-6.jpg]
Tagore - attached is drawing of the SE700s. I have several older set of Pings removed from various E series guitars. The mounting holes for the two screws measure - is 24.0-24.1 mm. The shafts are all dead on at 6 mm.

Almost forgot - if memory serves, you can reuse the bushings for Gotoh machines. If you go with others - Waverly, Schaller, Schertler, etc - you will need to replace the bushings. Please note I have had mixed luck with Schaller. I just had to replace 3 that had defective gears. The place I bought them from replaced them under warranty. I have E40 that has had them on for several years and they are smooth as silk.
Pura Vida and AlanSam like this post
Thanks TomC. Did find the following on the web - ebay post selling v93Ns - which would appear to give slightly different dimensions to the SE700 - shaft diameter etc relative to the pings but will still try to give them a go. The D string machine head on my Eastman isn't holding the tuning well, and the G string tuner is pretty tight inspite of vaseline etc the usual remedies. Can't stop playing the guitar beyond this.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/g3UAAOSwP...s-l500.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg
File size: 23.12 KB
Downloads: 166

Hello just swapped the Pings for Waverlys on my E20 00-SB. It was supposed to be a straight drop in but required reaming the slot head shaft holes and had to plug then drill 5 news screw holes. So I’d say expect a few bumps and hope for the best.
1890s Lyon and Healy Parlor
1964 Martin 016-NY
1945 Martin 00-21
Larrivee 00-40M burst
Santa Cruz 000 12 fret sitka/EIR
Santa Cruz OM Sitka/Cocobolo
Bourgeois Slope D Custom 12 fret Adi/Sinker Hog
(07-11-2020, 07:06 PM)Jeffacme Wrote: Hello just swapped the Pings for Waverlys on my E20 00-SB. It was supposed to be a straight drop in but required reaming the slot head shaft holes and had to plug then drill 5 news screw holes. So I’d say expect a few bumps and hope for the best.

The two diagrams would indicate an  experience like yours.  Plugging the existing holes, with wood, not filler, would appear necessary for one of the new holes on each tuner appears to be very close to an existing one.  The good news, it looks like the old holes will be completely covered. 

I would suggest he invest in a reamer and not use a drill if enlarging the post holes.  I have found reamers  do very clean work with minimal risk of chipping.

Attached Files

Rad yes plugged the holes with toothpicks and fish glue and used a reamer to open the holes. All the old holes are covered by the new tuners the OP is installing solid peg head tuners so most likely worst case is just swapping the bushings. Just felt like it would be helpful to relay the experience.
1890s Lyon and Healy Parlor
1964 Martin 016-NY
1945 Martin 00-21
Larrivee 00-40M burst
Santa Cruz 000 12 fret sitka/EIR
Santa Cruz OM Sitka/Cocobolo
Bourgeois Slope D Custom 12 fret Adi/Sinker Hog
Thanks. Am curious - were the ping bushings glued into the headstock in your cases? Am hoping not but have heard otherwise with respect to Eastmans.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ping RM 1171 to Schaller M6 Vintage tuner swap EP1 6 4,625 05-20-2022, 10:11 AM
Last Post: cjhorne
  Gotoh 510 tuners? Shishigashira 32 8,872 05-14-2022, 09:21 PM
Last Post: REHII
  Changing pickguard on E10ss/v Big-E 6 1,761 01-26-2022, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Big-E