Changing Ping V93Ns to Gotoh SE700 - E10D
(07-12-2020, 08:33 AM)Tagore Wrote: Thanks. Am curious - were the ping bushings glued into the headstock in your cases? Am hoping not but have heard otherwise with respect to Eastmans.

They were in my E20-OM. Took a bit of the headstock finish off when I knocked them off. If there is any way to leave the bushings, I'd recommend it.
I just got a new E20D-TC Wednesday and ran a thread on AGF about which machines to replace the Pings with as I anticipated I would want to do that. What I learned from lots of nice people over there:
1. The Pings work fine for quite a few players.
2. Yes, Eastman does glue their bushings in. Another player reported pulling up lacquer getting them out.
On my guitar, initially the tuners were quite smooth but a couple tightened up pretty quick. When I changed strings, I lubed the tuners. I read somewhere about using bicycle gear lube, Tri-flow I believe it was, for mandolin tuners. Being a cyclist, I have Dumondtech-Lite on hand so I use that. It's pretty potent stuff and has additives to make it slick and long lasting. It's also a little stinky, but works great. I use a microtip dispenser and get a tiny bit of lube in at each bearing surface of the worm gear, the space between the cog gear and the plate, and in between the post and bushing. My Pings are now working fine.
I would try lubing those Pings before you risk pulling the bushings

BTW- out of curiosity, I put a dial caliper on my Pings- they are 0.240" at the top of the post and 0.210" at the point they exit the bushing. 6mm = 0.236" so there's a good chance the Gotohs will work within the ping bushings. Grover Sta-tites have a 0.249" post so they would not work in the Ping bushings. Good luck!
Pura Vida likes this post
Idk Pings aren’t the worst Larrivee used them on their 03 and I believe 05 models at one time. Ping Gotoh Grover truth be told there isn’t a huge difference. IMO it isn’t much to sweat about....
Welcome, RoyBoy.  Some of the folks who responded in that AGF thread are also active members here, so you're in good company.  Appreciate the tip about lubing up the Ping tuners, as I have a few that are tight and might benefit from this treatment.

Hope you enjoy the forum and stick around.  We'd love to see photos of your new E20D-TC.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
"Loudlester"
“Idk Pings aren’t the worst Larrivee used them on their 03 and I believe 05 models at one time. Ping Gotoh Grover truth be told there isn’t a huge difference. IMO it isn’t much to sweat about....“

The Ping tuners are fine and hold tune pretty well, adjust ok. For me I use many alternate tunings and that’s where I feel the Pings were not as stable or easy to adjust. The Gotoh 510s on my AC630-BD are rock solid. I understand the need to spec within a budget but my E20-00 SB is such an amazing guitar it deserves stellar tuners.
1890s Lyon and Healy Parlor
1964 Martin 016-NY
1945 Martin 00-21
Larrivee 00-40M burst
Santa Cruz 000 12 fret sitka/EIR
Santa Cruz OM Sitka/Cocobolo
Bourgeois Slope D Custom 12 fret Adi/Sinker Hog
Regarding lubing the tuners.  

Just my thinking

I’ve read about using Vaseline.  I think that is a terrible idea. Vaseline is so gooey  that it will attract dirt and dust immediately and then trying to clean out the contaminated Vaseline would be difficult.  I use Tri-Flow, works well and does not attract dirt
Pura Vida likes this post
I just ordered a bottle of Tri-Flow.  Thanks to Rad and RoyBoy for the suggestion.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ping RM 1171 to Schaller M6 Vintage tuner swap EP1 6 4,629 05-20-2022, 10:11 AM
Last Post: cjhorne
  Gotoh 510 tuners? Shishigashira 32 8,883 05-14-2022, 09:21 PM
Last Post: REHII
  Changing pickguard on E10ss/v Big-E 6 1,761 01-26-2022, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Big-E