NGD is here: E8OM-TC
Hello Gents, 

***Section titled "The Bad" - I would appreciate it if you guys would give me some feedback on that, thanks! 

NGD is here on my E8OM-TC.  The guitar was delivered yesterday, and I gave it the proper 24 hours waiting period before opening it up.  I bought this one from The Acoustic Shoppe (chapboogie I believe), and they really made me feel special by giving me a $10 Gift Card and handwritten note thanking for my purchase.  So, that was a pleasant surprise.  I work in sales, and I send handwritten notes in customer's orders quite frequently, but that seems to be a lost art these days so I appreciated that.  Nothing against the first two shops I bought from, but neither of them gave me a gift card or note.  Just a really nice touch IMO, and that's the kind of thing that makes people lifelong customers.  It was a total surprise too, and the gift card and note were just sitting there once I opened up the case.  

Sound
**Edit**

I originally posted tonight stating that the tone was good, but I wasn't blown away.   But, I've been playing it for about 30 min now, and I've actually done a complete 180.  I'm truly blown away by the sound of this guitar.  It has wonderful bass for an OM, and it's very balanced for a rosewood guitar.  I feel like every note just sounds the way it's supposed to.  It sounds perfect.  Now, unfortunately, there is a blemish (shown below in the section called "The Bad") that is pretty noticeable at different angles on the back of the guitar.  Because of that, I don't know if I can keep it.  All of that is explained below.  It just sucks because I love how this guitar sounds.  I baby my guitars, and my guitars stay in mint condition w/ zero blemishes and scratches even after years of use.  So, for me to buy a brand new guitar and for it to have 3 noticeable blemishes is just mentally screwing me up lol.

Feel 

The action on this guitar came in perfect.  My first Eastman purchase was an E6OM, and I had the saddled filed down to get the action lowered.  I'm not sure if I will need to do that with this one.  The action seems pretty much perfect for me, as I like a lower action.  The neck is just perfect, and I mean perfect.  My E6OM has a little thicker neck, my E8D has a thinner neck, and this one is right in between both.  They really found the sweet spot on this neck.  Both the necks on my other guitars are very comfortable, but I feel like this one was specifically made for me. 

Aesthetics (Good & Bad) 

The Good

The TC top is absolutely stunning IMO, and the rosewood is gorgeous!  The TC top is so dark that it almost looks like cedar to me.  The rosewood has very tight grain, and is really dark, especially on the sides.  To give some context, I attached a pic showing my E8D front and E8OM-TC.  There is quite a difference IMO.  I will say that the E8D is pretty dark for a non-TC top, and my E8D top is quite a bit darker than my E6OM.  The neck on the guitar actually has a lighter area, and is almost white.  I actually like that quite a bit, and feel like it gives the guitar some extra character and uniqueness. But man, this rosewood is just absolutely perfect.  I like how dark it is, and it really has some nice figuring or swirling on the sides.  Not sure what to call that exactly.  Also, the case is super nice!  It has an archtop ane little Eastman Engraving on the top.  The inside is a nice gray color.  A nicer case than what I received with my E60M and E8D. 

The Bad 

As you can see in the one of the attached pictures called "Blemish", there is a blemish on the back of the guitar and this is visible in 3 different places.  The good news is that I cannot see it unless the angle is just right.  But, if I tilt the guitar in any direction, it becomes noticeable.  Honestly, I'm fairly disappointed in this blemish.  My E6OM and E8D didn't have this problem at all.  I tried to buff it out with the cloth, but nothing happened.  It looks like some sort of residue, but I believe it's actually on top of the wood and underneath the nitrocellulose finish.  Does anybody have any suggestions on how that could potentially be removed?  I honestly don't think there is anything that can be done because I believe the nitro finish is on top of whatever I'm seeing. I know it's on the back and I can only see it in certain angles, but stuff like this trips me up mentally.  I am not leaning towards returning the guitar b/c of this blemish, but the thought is there.  Am I crazy for even considering a return? I honestly would like some feedback on how you guys would feel... The Acoustic Shoppe is only like 3 hours driving distance from me, so if I can't get past this then I can always take it to them and look at trading it for something else or get a refund.  My wife has to go to a wedding nearby there, so it works out perfectly since I have to drive there this weekend anyways.  I am in no way disappointed with The Acoustic Shoppe and 100% recommend them to purchase from. I can see why they may have not noticed it, but I have a curse and I'm overly observant.  I will also reach out to them to see if they have any pointers on how to get this removed.  It's just disappointing b/c this is the most expensive guitar I've ever purchased, and I feel like that blemish shouldn't be there. 

Cheers,
Jordan

Update!

I think the blemish mentally screwed me up for a bit, which in turn made me think the tone wasn't great. I've played it for the last 15 min, and it sounds very good. It is much more balanced and rounded than my E8D. Much prettier sounding than my old E6OM. It has more bass than my old E6OM (Yes, I sold my E6OM). Overall, this E8OM-TC sounds really good, but I'm just not sure if I can get past the blemishes.

I'm the type of person that can't get something out of my head once it's there. So, even if I don't see or look for it, in the back of my mind I am thinking about it.

Oh boy. I don't know what to do. I probably need to just think on it for a few days. This is definitely a knee jerk reaction post.

I will post again in the upcoming days to give an update on tone.

Attached Files

2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
Hey, Jordan.  First, congrats on the new guitar.  The top is magnificent, and the back is nice, straight grain EIR.  As for the sound, I've received guitars that didn't "wow" me on the first strum, but then they opened up after a string change and some playing time.  For me, it's almost always the strings b/c almost every guitar ships with coated strings, and I can't stand the feel or sound of them (even the D'Add EXPs on Eastman guitars).  Others who own TC models (particularly OM) may chime in with their direct experience.

As for the blemish, it's really difficult to tell in your photo.  It almost looks like air bubbles underneath the Nitro finish, but I really can't tell for sure.  If the top is smooth, then it's got to be something underneath the finish.

Whether you decide to return or keep it is ultimately up to you, but I'd recommend calling The Acoustic Shoppe.  They're good people and will help you work through the situation.
sleigh likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(11-10-2020, 07:31 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Hey, Jordan.  First, congrats on the new guitar.  The top is magnificent, and the back is nice, straight grain EIR.  As for the sound, I've received guitars that didn't "wow" me on the first strum, but then they opened up after a string change and some playing time.  For me, it's almost always the strings b/c almost every guitar ships with coated strings, and I can't stand the feel or sound of them (even the D'Add EXPs on Eastman guitars).  Others who own TC models (particularly OM) may chime in with their direct experience.

As for the blemish, it's really difficult to tell in your photo.  It almost looks like air bubbles underneath the Nitro finish, but I really can't tell for sure.  If the top is smooth, then it's got to be something underneath the finish.

Whether you decide to return or keep it is ultimately up to you, but I'd recommend calling The Acoustic Shoppe.  They're good people and will help you work through the situation.

Yeah, and I've played it more tonight and it sounds really good. I'm still going to swap out the D'Adds for the GHS, but I think the blemish just jacked me up for a sec.

As far as the blemish, it is smooth.. You should be able to see it if you click the photo or zoom in on the pic. I attached another one zoomed in, maybe that will be easier to see. This blemish is a catch 22. On some angles, it's not visible at all, but in other angles it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I did email them, and I am not upset with them at all. I can understand how it could have gone unnoticed. I will probably just drive to their shop this weekend to either swap it for another one or just get a refund. One of the main reasons I bought from them is because they have such a great reputation on here, and they have a great 14 day return policy. No worries here, I know they'll make it right if I decide to return it.

Attached Files

2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
Hi Jordan,
 That's such a drag that you like the guitar so much other than the blemish. The decision would be so much easier if there were at least two things that bugged you.
 Do you remember that I told you that I tried to buy that very guitar and was told that it was sold?- maybe that's why they got it back from whoever else bought it.
Perhaps when you take it back and show it to them they will offer you a larger discount?
 We are all so used to near absolute perfection in so many of the things that we buy- we forget that things that are actually made by human hands (like an Eastman guitar) are rarely absolutely perfect. I make a living as an artist painting primarily landscapes. While I do the best that I can to make my paintings perfect (and I'm OCD and a perfectionist) there is always something slightly imperfect to deal with. A  tiny blemish on the frame- a slight inconsistency in the varnish- something.
 I try to console myself with the fact that these things are just an indication of the human condition. Think of all the care and precision that went into making that beautiful instrument- maybe there's something poignant and beautiful about the very slight imperfection... "made by human hands"
or not.
SasquatchLife likes this post
Eastman E8OM-TC
Eastman PCH OM3-Koa
Eastman E6 D (with Herringbone Trim)

4 Fender Strats
Fender Tele
Gibson Les Paul Classic Premium Plus Faded Honeyburst
Gibson ES335 (dubious provenance) Sunburst
Gibson ES335 Custom (ditto) Burgundy
PRS SE Custom 24 Sunburst
PRS Custom 22 (dubious) Red Quilted top
PRS Custom 24 (dubious) Black Flamed Maple- my favorite electric guitar to play
D'Angelico D steel string Acoustic Electric
Esteve Model 8 Classical
Esteve Model 11 Classical
Yamaguchi Classical
Masaki Sakurai Model 15 Classical
Blueridge steel strings- BR160A, BR163, BR40, BR180

I've been building and finishing instruments for over a decade. Can't be certain without seeing a picture from a lower angle, but it doesn't appear to be under the finish. I've seen pictures of another Eastman sold as a blem that actually had white powder dust lodged in the pores under the finish. No remedy there beyond a refinish. In your case, it is possible that the finish flaws could be buffed out by a competent repairman.

In any case, if you decide to keep the guitar, you should get a discount as that should not have gone out the door as a 1st. If the dealer has another in stock that looks and sounds as good, an exchange would give you long term peace of mind.
Jordan, if taking it back in person to the Acoustic Shoppe is an option, I'd do that. If it were me, honestly, if I were delighted with the way the guitar sounds and mostly with how it looks, then I could live with a blemish that can only be seen at certain angles, especially on the back where no one will ever see it while I'm playing. But I'm not you, and if it will bug you forever, then you need to do what you can to take care of that. 

Personally, I don't expect that my guitars will remain blemish-free while in my hands, especially when I use them for gigs and the like. Inevitably, they acquire 'scars' from being played and moved around; while I try to be careful with them, I expect my guitars to slowly gain 'character' over time. The neck will eventually show wear from my hands, the upper lower bout might show where my elbow sits, there may be a few minor dings, and so on. They just show that the guitar's been loved and played -- in the same way that people (like me) change as they age. Can't be helped or stopped. 

But I can totally understand that you want your new guitar to be as perfect as possible. As I said, take it back to the Chapmans, show them the blemish, and see if you can come to an accommodation that satisfies you both. Good luck, and sorry that your NGD wasn't totally what you wanted it to be.
Pura Vida likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
(11-11-2020, 04:51 AM)Ted Wrote: Hi Jordan,
 That's such a drag that you like the guitar so much other than the blemish. The decision would be so much easier if there were at least two things that bugged you.
 Do you remember that I told you that I tried to buy that very guitar and was told that it was sold?- maybe that's why they got it back from whoever else bought it.
Perhaps when you take it back and show it to them they will offer you a larger discount?
 We are all so used to near absolute perfection in so many of the things that we buy- we forget that things that are actually made by human hands (like an Eastman guitar) are rarely absolutely perfect. I make a living as an artist painting primarily landscapes. While I do the best that I can to make my paintings perfect (and I'm OCD and a perfectionist) there is always something slightly imperfect to deal with. A  tiny blemish on the frame- a slight inconsistency in the varnish- something.
 I try to console myself with the fact that these things are just an indication of the human condition. Think of all the care and precision that went into making that beautiful instrument- maybe there's something poignant and beautiful about the very slight imperfection... "made by human hands"
or not.

Nice! Landscapes are really nice. I don't know much about paintings, but I've always enjoyed the landscape ones.

You may be right about this E8OM-TC. Maybe that was why it got listed again because the original buyer didn't like it either.

The thing is, the main blemish spans about 7 inches across the back of the guitar. If it was only like an inch wide, then I wouldn't care. But it is about half as wide as the entire guitar.

(11-11-2020, 05:01 AM)RoyBoy Wrote: I've been building and finishing instruments for over a decade. Can't be certain without seeing a picture from a lower angle, but it doesn't appear to be under the finish. I've seen pictures of another Eastman sold as a blem that actually had white powder dust lodged in the pores under the finish. No remedy there beyond a refinish. In your case, it is possible that the finish flaws could be buffed out by a competent repairman.

In any case, if you decide to keep the guitar, you should get a discount as that should not have gone out the door as a 1st. If the dealer has another in stock that looks and sounds as good, an exchange would give you long term peace of mind.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering too. Not sure if someone could fix the blemish or not. I don't think I really want to even try that.

The thing is, I would ask for a discount but here's what happened. When this guitar got listed, they accidentally listed it at $1,109 which is the price for thr regular E8OM. The E8OM-TC price is typically listed at $1,275. So, when I saw that price, I immediately bought it. I even messaged them prior and asked if this was truly a TC model since it was listed at the wrong price, and they responded with yes. Then like 2 hours passed, and the price was still 1,109 so I bought it. I tried to give them an opportunity to catch the mistake, but they didn't until after I bought it.

Anyways, I'm hoping that because of this blemish and me having to drive there, that they will just let me do an outright trade for the other TC model they have in stock.

I already emailed them last night to see if they could hold the other one.

I am confident it will work out because The Acoustic Shoppe has a great reputation for excellent customer service. Their return policy does state "we'd rather you not regret your purchase, so you have 14 days to return it if needed" or something to that affect.

Honestly, because of this blemish I have an excuse to go visit their shop and play some of their other Eastmans. Who knows, I may end up buying a different model altogether. I LOVE going to music stores so it'll be a fun Saturday for me.

(11-11-2020, 06:43 AM)sleigh Wrote: Jordan, if taking it back in person to the Acoustic Shoppe is an option, I'd do that. If it were me, honestly, if I were delighted with the way the guitar sounds and mostly with how it looks, then I could live with a blemish that can only be seen at certain angles, especially on the back where no one will ever see it while I'm playing. But I'm not you, and if it will bug you forever, then you need to do what you can to take care of that. 

Personally, I don't expect that my guitars will remain blemish-free while in my hands, especially when I use them for gigs and the like. Inevitably, they acquire 'scars' from being played and moved around; while I try to be careful with them, I expect my guitars to slowly gain 'character' over time. The neck will eventually show wear from my hands, the upper lower bout might show where my elbow sits, there may be a few minor dings, and so on. They just show that the guitar's been loved and played -- in the same way that people (like me) change as they age. Can't be helped or stopped. 

But I can totally understand that you want your new guitar to be as perfect as possible. As I said, take it back to the Chapmans, show them the blemish, and see if you can come to an accommodation that satisfies you both. Good luck, and sorry that your NGD wasn't totally what you wanted it to be.

Thanks Sleigh. Yeah, the blemish is about 7 inches wide access the back, and it looks like there is just dried cake icing on the back if that makes sense. So, if it was only like an inch wide, I'd just keep it, but it's just so wide. Not too mention there are a few other spots and a couple of scratches on the back.

My E8D and E6OM didn't have any of that, so I'll just swap it out for a new guitar if possible.

These things happen, and I'm in no way upset with The Acoustic Shoppe. I can understand how this could go unnoticed. I just happen to be one of those people that catch little details like that. I saw it immediately after opening the case. I always have my wife film me opening it up so I have proof if something isn't right, and in the video you can see me say "hmm" and I rubbed my finger across the blemish thanking it was just smudge marks but it wasn't.

No big deal, and I 100% recommend the Acoustic Shoppe. They are good people.
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
**Update**

The Acoustic Shoppe already emailed me back, and said that they would be happy to try and buff out the blemishes or swap it for a different guitar.

I figured they would be accommodating and offer excellent customer service. They did not disappoint as I expected. I just wanted to give an update so that they aren't put in a negative light because me posting about the blemishes. These things happen! Acoustic Shoppe has been a pleasure to deal with, and I will buy from them again no questions asked.
Pura Vida, sleigh, AlanSam, DonJmmn like this post
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
I’m happy to hear that your situation will be resolved one way or the other! Post photos of the repair, and, or, new guitar!
SasquatchLife and Pura Vida like this post
(11-11-2020, 10:37 AM)Airborne Wrote: I’m happy to hear that your situation will be resolved one way or the other! Post photos of the repair, and, or, new guitar!

Thank you, and I absolutely will!
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D