NGD is here: E8OM-TC
(11-13-2020, 01:56 PM)sleigh Wrote: Jordan -- so as not to hijack this thread (and to avoid tooting my own horn here—especially since horns are not guitars!), I'll reply by PM...

Lol, sounds good.
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
***Final Update***

I just took it to The Acoustic Shoppe, and they had the blemishes buffed out completely within 10 min. Very happy about the outcome! Needless to say I'm keeping it.

You guys should really stop by The Acoustic Shoppe if you're ever in the area. Trent is the employee that helped me, and he was very nice and had a wealth of knowledge about every guitar that I picked up. He couldn't have been more than 25 years old at most.

While I was waiting, I got a chance to play a few more Eastman's including an identical E8OM-TC, E10D, and E20OM-SB.

My E8OM-TC sounds quite a bit better to me than it's twin, but then again I don't think the twin in the showroom had a string change and the action hadn't been lowered yet. Overall, mine has a prettier tone, and better bass, but maybe it's just in my head.

I thought the E10D sounded great, and the E20OM-SB sounded like others have described a new Adi top as sounding. It hadn't broke in yet and was flat, but I could tell the tone was different than a Sitka top. Like others have said, I'm sure that tone will be fantastic within a year or so. Tone was different than Sitka, no doubt about it.

Lastly, I have to mention that I played a few Boucher's, and a Bourgeois and Larrivee. All of these were north of $4,000 and a few near $5,000, so not a fair comparison to the Eastman's.

One of the Boucher's was outstanding, and the other one was really good. I feel like my E8OM-TC is better sounding than one of the Boucher, which was also a TC top with Bubinga instead of my rosewood. So, I thought mine sounded better than that one personally. The other Boucher had walnut b/s with a moonwood top I believe. Let me just say WOW. The lightest built guitar I've ever played, and it was simply was incredible.

The Larrivee was a slothead 12 fret SS dread. It was very nice sounding, and was a beautiful guitar with a torch inlay, maple binding, and all satin finish.

The Bourgeois was an OM, and it sounded incredible too. Can't say it was better than my E8OM-TC, just different. Probably a tad more rich than my Eastman, but again nearly $4,000 more expensive. Considering that, I'd buy my Eastman every day of the week and be happy with the decision.

I know this isn't the category to talk about other guitars, but I didn't feel like starting a new thread. Overall, my Eastman was better than the Larrivee and one of the Boucher's. And my Eastman is about $4000 cheaper than those.

This is just another example of the type of value we are getting with our Eastman's considering how low the price point is. Like I mentioned above, my Eastman was better IMO than 2 of the more expensive brands so that really is nearly unbelievable when you consider the price ranges.
sleigh, Ted, Jklotz, Pura Vida, AlanSam, Shishigashira like this post
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
So glad that they were able to buff out the blemish and resolve the issue quickly and easily.  And it was a worthwhile trip to validate the guitar you selected, not only against another E8OM-TC, but also to compare against other Eastman guitars, as well as some other boutique brands.  Now, go play that new, buffed out TC!  Smile
SasquatchLife likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
If possible, a pic of the buffed area would be good!
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(11-14-2020, 01:18 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: So glad that they were able to buff out the blemish and resolve the issue quickly and easily.  And it was a worthwhile trip to validate the guitar you selected, not only against another E8OM-TC, but also to compare against other Eastman guitars, as well as some other boutique brands.  Now, go play that new, buffed out TC!  Smile

Yes sir! I'm so happy that I was able to keep this guitar. Now, I'm heading to a wedding, oh joy! I love weddings said no guy ever lol. Can't wait to just get home so I can play this baby!
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
(11-14-2020, 01:20 PM)AlanSam Wrote: If possible, a pic of the buffed area would be good!

I definitely will. I'm waiting on my wife and her cousin to get out of this wedding, and I'll post some before and after pics once we get home tonight.

I'm just ecstatic that I was able to keep this one.
AlanSam and Pura Vida like this post
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
Fantastic news about the blemish, Jordan, and kudos to the Acoustic Shoppe! What a satisfactory ending to the tale.
SasquatchLife and Pura Vida like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
(11-14-2020, 01:05 PM)SasquatchLife Wrote: ***Final Update***

I just took it to The Acoustic Shoppe, and they had the blemishes buffed out completely within 10 min. Very happy about the outcome! Needless to say I'm keeping it.

Congratulations on your success. Really enjoyed reading thru the drama. I can't blame you for preferring "prisitine condition" guitars. The beauty of the guitar and the woods, for some of us, is a big part of our love for guitars.
I kind of wish I'd bought your E6OM, but now you've got me intrigued with the E8OM-TC? I'm liking smaller guitars now.

I hesitated to mention this. My luthier once cleanup many scratches and smudges on my Eastman AC520, it was like magic, he keeps a 2000 grit sand paper soaking in water with dish detergent in it, minimum 24 hours, and then still, is cautious, he will dry it often and evaluate, to detect any evidence of going too far. So I use his method, and have had a lot of success with it.

Eastman AC422CE
CAUTION: I'm Singing A Christian Song (AC422)[/font][/size]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfM4wJZUYoE

(11-15-2020, 09:12 PM)billymo Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 01:05 PM)SasquatchLife Wrote: ***Final Update***

Congratulations on your success. Really enjoyed reading thru the drama. I can't blame you for preferring "prisitine condition" guitars. The beauty of the guitar and the woods, for some of us, is a big part of our love for guitars.
I kind of wish I'd bought your E6OM, but now you've got me intrigued with the E8OM-TC? I'm liking smaller guitars now.

I hesitated to mention this. My luthier once cleanup many scratches and smudges on my Eastman AC520, it was like magic, he keeps a 2000 grit sand paper soaking in water with dish detergent in it, minimum 24 hours, and then still, is cautious, he will dry it often and evaluate, to detect any evidence of going too far. So I use his method, and have had a lot of success with it.

Thanks for sharing the scratches/smudges cleaning method. I will definitely keep that in mind in the future.

Yeah, my E6OM was a VERY GOOD guitar. I do miss it but I don't regret it because I wanted a rosewood OM and hog dread. At the time I sold my E6OM, I had a hog OM and Rosewood dread in my E8D. This E8OM-TC is superior to the E6OM IMHO, but I think that I also prefer the rosewood tone over hog. At least overall. I will say that I think hog is visually more stunning and pretty than rosewood though. So, now all I need to do is sell my E8D and buy an E6D or E10D to achieve my hog dread and Rosewood OM goal. But, for the life of me, I don't know if I can sell my E8D. It's incredible.

I will say this about my new E8OM-TC. I think the TC top makes a significant difference. Not saying that the non TC tops are necessarily are bad, but the tone of the TC is just "complete" if that makes sense. Rounded if you will. Great depth.

Anyways, you should def try and play a TC top if you can and compare it to a non TC if possible. YMMV from me. Also, I know some people enjoy the breaking in period, and hearing how their guitar changes and matures over time. I must say, I think I will miss that process some. I'm sure my TC will change a tad, but not much based on what I've read? My E6OM definitely had matured some in just the 7 months that I owned it.

So, if that's a big deal to you as it is some, than the TC may not be for you.
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
Yes to your remarks about the sound coming from your TC top.
I've read reviews that characterized the sound as "dry, light, airy". Perhaps different torrified tops all have their own sonic characteristics just like non TC tops because I certainly would not describe the tone coming out of my E8OM TC that way. More like "Grand Piano".
I'm glad you were able to keep yours after all the dust settled. Congrats!
Eastman E8OM-TC
Eastman PCH OM3-Koa
Eastman E6 D (with Herringbone Trim)

4 Fender Strats
Fender Tele
Gibson Les Paul Classic Premium Plus Faded Honeyburst
Gibson ES335 (dubious provenance) Sunburst
Gibson ES335 Custom (ditto) Burgundy
PRS SE Custom 24 Sunburst
PRS Custom 22 (dubious) Red Quilted top
PRS Custom 24 (dubious) Black Flamed Maple- my favorite electric guitar to play