NGD is here: E8OM-TC
Eastman places EXP 16 on their new guitars, which are coated, while standard EJ16 are uncoated strings.  But in my experience, the coating that D'Add uses feels and sounds different than Elixir coated strings.
SasquatchLife likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(11-26-2020, 03:33 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Eastman places EXP 16 on their new guitars, which are coated, while standard EJ16 are uncoated strings.  But in my experience, the coating that D'Add uses feels and sounds different than Elixir coated strings.

Oh! That explains it. I mixed up the EXP 16 and EJ16 strings. I knew these EJ16's were different than the strings that were on my E6OM. Makes sense now, thanks for clarifying.

I really like these EJ16. I don't like the coated strings.
Pura Vida likes this post
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
Samesies.  I'm a little jealous of those who can play coated strings b/c they definitely last longer.  But they're just not for me.  I do get more life out of my GHS strings, esp. since I've gotten diligent about wiping my strings after every use (that inc. my longevity by 2x).
SasquatchLife likes this post
(11-26-2020, 04:07 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Samesies.  I'm a little jealous of those who can play coated strings b/c they definitely last longer.  But they're just not for me.  I do get more life out of my GHS strings, esp. since I've gotten diligent about wiping my strings after every use (that inc. my longevity by 2x).

Do you just wipe 'em down with the little Eastman cleaning cloth, or just easy microfiber cloth for that matter?
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
I never used the Eastman cloths (at least the ones I've gotten in the cases), just b/c I liked to preserve them.  But I got the same cloths via Amazon, and use one to wipe the strings and a second one to wipe the guitar body, since my body doesn't play well with the Nitro finishes.
SasquatchLife and sleigh like this post
To weigh in here randomly, first, belated congrats on the E8OM-TC, Jordan!

Second, agreed with sleigh - don’t sell the E8D if you’re having any hesitation whatsoever. You will probably regret it, and that’s the worst.

Third, I’m a huge fan of EJ16’s. For the price, I think they’re fantastic strings. My favorite PB’s though are the John Pearse PB’s. LOVE them!

I’ve had mixed experiences with the Elixer Nanowebs, which are the only coated strings I’ve liked. EXP’s weren’t for me. The Nanowebs have made every Martin sound muffled to me, but they were overly bright on my E20OM. I actually love the feel/lack of squeak they have, but it takes a certain guitar voicing to yield the tone I want.

Also agreed with Brian about the post-play wipe down. Makes a massive difference (for me, anyway) in terms of string life. The JP PB’s on my AC708CE may or may not be a year old. Wink

I use one of my lens cleaning cloths I bought for my DSLR lenses. Works great.
Pura Vida, sleigh, SasquatchLife like this post
EXP 16's came on my PCH3 OM and I'm very happy with the sound. Although now I'm wondering what it would sound like with 80/20  bronze.
My E8OM-TC came with EXP's and it sounded a bit dull- so much so that I nearly sent it back before I changed it's strings. It sounds fine with 80/20's.
When the E8 arrived, I could tell that there was something wrong with the strings immediately just by seeing them because the D string was a much darker color than the others.
sleigh, Pura Vida, AlanSam like this post
Eastman E8OM-TC
Eastman PCH OM3-Koa
Eastman E6 D (with Herringbone Trim)

4 Fender Strats
Fender Tele
Gibson Les Paul Classic Premium Plus Faded Honeyburst
Gibson ES335 (dubious provenance) Sunburst
Gibson ES335 Custom (ditto) Burgundy
PRS SE Custom 24 Sunburst
PRS Custom 22 (dubious) Red Quilted top
PRS Custom 24 (dubious) Black Flamed Maple- my favorite electric guitar to play
D'Angelico D steel string Acoustic Electric
Esteve Model 8 Classical
Esteve Model 11 Classical
Yamaguchi Classical
Masaki Sakurai Model 15 Classical
Blueridge steel strings- BR160A, BR163, BR40, BR180

(11-26-2020, 03:33 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Eastman places EXP 16 on their new guitars, which are coated, while standard EJ16 are uncoated strings.  But in my experience, the coating that D'Add uses feels and sounds different than Elixir coated strings.

Exactly. In the past, I used EXP 16s fairly regularly. While I hate the way Elixir strings feel under my fingers (like they've been dipped in a vat of WD40), D'Add coated strings do NOT have that too-slick and greasy feel that make me want to wash my hands after playing a song. To a large degree, they feel like uncoated strings--which are now my preference. If I were going to use a coated string, it'd be the D'Add EXPs.
Pura Vida and Ted like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Hello...first post. I recognize some names here from the AGF. Just wanted to add that I just ordered an E8OM-TC yesterday and hope to have it midweek next week. Already have an E2D-CD, E10OM-TC, and E20D-TC. Really looking forward to my first baked Sitka top/EIR Eastman OM. Seems there (obviously) is a lot of love for this model here along with all the other Eastman models. 
Thanks for having me here!
sleigh, Pura Vida, Ted, SasquatchLife like this post
You can never do the wrong thing by doing the right thing...
Jim
Llew - welcome, and can't wait for your review (and pics?)
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis