E6D on the way, E10D in the house. Something's got to give.
Well, I'm late to this latest conversation, so rather than jumping into the tonewood discussion, I thought I'd clarify the Neil Young info. :) Neil recorded most of "Harvest" with his 1968 Martin D-45. "Hank" is a 1941 Martin D-28, but Neil didn't own it until several years after "Harvest" was released.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(02-25-2018, 09:40 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Well, I'm late to this latest conversation, so rather than jumping into the tonewood discussion, I thought I'd clarify the Neil Young info.  Smile  Neil recorded most of "Harvest" with his 1968 Martin D-45.  "Hank" is a 1941 Martin D-28, but Neil didn't own it until several years after "Harvest" was released.

well spotted VP - so the guitars used would have been Brazilian R/W with a German spruce top and (all important top bracing placement - needs research),
So there ya have it - top of the line guitar recorded by top of their game people and equipment and played by a seasoned (played in Smile ) musician - gonna be tough to emulate that.
(02-25-2018, 04:43 PM)Northman Wrote: He’d measured it (4 times) with a ‘yard stick’ and wasn’t getting the result that was in the company spec. Lots of reply and advice given (3/4 pages) and someone suggested measuring from nut to twelfth fret - and doubling it. Still wrong answer !.
Turned out the guy though the ‘space’ - half way between the 11th and twelfth fret WAS the ’12 fret’.
He had half a dozen guitars listed in his signature - but didn’t know what he was doing.

es, I think you're having a good time in the process... 

Ha! Except for the guitars in the signature, it could've been me. I'm pretty sure I made that same mistake back when I was a newbie. (Not as long ago as you'd think!)

And Bert, it has been fun, except for the stress of deciding which one to let go of. 

Next venture: find a small bodied Eastman with a big neck. That's a trick...
(02-26-2018, 11:03 AM)eastmanschool Wrote: Next venture: find a small bodied Eastman with a big neck. That's a trick...

That'll be easy. The E10/20OO has a fantastic neck. It's a full C carve with 1 13/16" at the nut. I am still waiting for Eastman to build a 12 fret slope shoulder, short scale with the OO neck. Make the Smeckman!
(02-26-2018, 01:11 PM)Zissou Intern Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 11:03 AM)eastmanschool Wrote: Next venture: find a small bodied Eastman with a big neck. That's a trick...

That'll be easy. The E10/20OO has a fantastic neck. It's a full C carve with 1 13/16" at the nut. I am still waiting for Eastman to build a 12 fret slope shoulder, short scale with the OO neck. Make the Smeckman!

Check that: "find a 14 fret small body."

I like the idea of the Smeckman though.
(02-25-2018, 08:06 PM)Zissou Intern Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 08:38 AM)Meathead Wrote: Hey Campacj, Zissou Intern:

I purchased my very first Eastman (AC312) from Kennelly Keys in Lynnwood.  

The last time I was in their Lynnwood store, they had a wall of Eastmen. I think there were 5 E10D's and 3's and 4's of many of the other models. If I was going to buy an Eastman, that would've been the place to ensure that you got a good example.

Yes, I agree - they had a great selection.  If anyone is in the Seattle area, it's a decent place to shop for an Eastman.
And now, for the exciting conclusion to Something's Got To Give.

I gave up the 6.

Not because the 10 was the overwhelmingly better guitar - by any measure. Really it came down to boring details; the neck on the 10 is slightly more comfortable (to me) for a wider variety of chord shapes, the 10 had a finish issue that (while it doesn't bother me), would require a trusting and understanding disposition of a potential buyer. And that's about it (insert "yawn" emoji).

So the 6 is packed and on its way to a fellow forum member who may or may not be posting a NGD in the near future. As I will be, hopefully next Tuesday.

The game was fun while it lasted.
Good fishermen practice catch and release. Wet another hook.

bert
(03-01-2018, 11:54 AM)eastmanschool Wrote: And now, for the exciting conclusion to Something's Got To Give.

I gave up the 6.

Not because the 10 was the overwhelmingly better guitar - by any measure. Really it came down to boring details; the neck on the 10 is slightly more comfortable (to me) for a wider variety of chord shapes, the 10 had a finish issue that (while it doesn't bother me), would require a trusting and understanding disposition of a potential buyer. And that's about it (insert "yawn" emoji).

So the 6 is packed and on its way to a fellow forum member who may or may not be posting a NGD in the near future. As I will be, hopefully next Tuesday.

The game was fun while it lasted.

It was hard to go wrong with either guitar - and whoever ends up with the 6 is also going to be thrilled I would predict!
Actually, when you think about it, that's the best outcome possible. It would be unfortunate, if one was a complete dog. Instead, you picked between two closely matched guitars, mainly on comfort, and another EGF member buys the other one.

I've got bets on Keith (Zissou Intern). He asked about it earlier in the thread. :)
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young