E6D on the way, E10D in the house. Something's got to give.
The E8OM has a much more "bassy" sound. When switching back and forth it can be a little like enjoying some sugar in your coffee then eating a doughnut. When you again taste your coffee, suddenly it tastes bitter! My ears adjust much like my taste buds do. Conventional wisdom says record with your mahogany guitar (think Neil Young's "Harvest" album) and perform with the rosewood guitar. There may be something to that. The E10OM sounds more clear on some songs and it's easier to let each note ring. The E8OM is gorgeous, but can seem a little muddy. How nice to have so much choice!   Smile

BTW I've read that Young's "Harvest" album was recorded with a 1930s Martin D-18 that once belonged to Hank Williams Sr.
I once read John Arnold's description of sitka as sounding a little 'fuzzy'. I took him to mean warm vs clear like red spruce, not that red spruce can't be warm... words just don't always do justice. Each of my guitars has a diff tone/timbre, sorta like the instruments that make up a diverse set of characters in a band/orchestra. Each is best at what it does. (banjo or piccolo jokes aside)
bert
(02-25-2018, 10:26 AM)campacj Wrote: The E8OM has a much more "bassy" sound.  Conventional wisdom says record with your mahogany guitar (think Neil Young's "Harvest" album) and perform with the rosewood guitar. There may be something to that. The E10OM sounds more clear on some songs and it's easier to let each note ring. The E8OM is gorgeous, but can seem a little muddy. How nice to have so much choice!   :)
woof - a lot going on here.
I have two 'small shop' Indian rosewood guitars 20 & 30 yrs old and well played because they're 'well made' to a good acoustic design philosophy they NEVER sounded 'muddy' (or I wouldn't have exchanged good money for them), muddy means undefined / indistinct / unclear and so on.
One thing that did strike me about both guitars was how the sound became very much more 'blended' / integrated / rounded as a whole in sound more balanced - nothing standing out over other components of the sound.
New guitars sound - like new guitars.

I think a lot of  “Conventional wisdom” of the internet is based on instruments that have not had enough time or playing to achieve the nirvana state of a well played in guitar.
Also who is generating this “Conventional wisdom” - players like guitars need to be  ‘played in’  to meaningfully comment.
lotsa folk like pictures of new acquisitions - I like sound clips - ?
happy pickin
oh PS. Harvest was recorded in Nashville by engineers and producers at the top of their game, with equipment to match - that's where the sound on the album came from.
(02-25-2018, 10:26 AM)campacj Wrote: BTW I've read that Young's "Harvest" album was recorded with a 1930s Martin D-18 that once belonged to Hank Williams Sr.

Not sure which acoustic NY used on Harvest, but his Hank Williams guitar is a D-28.

Damn it!

I just accidentally deleted a 4ish paragraph review of my 2 guitars.
(02-25-2018, 11:39 AM)Northman Wrote: [quote pid='1415' dateline='1519579572']
 woof - a lot going on here.
I have two 'small shop' Indian rosewood guitars 20 & 30 yrs old and well played because they're 'well made' to a good acoustic design philosophy they NEVER sounded 'muddy' (or I wouldn't have exchanged good money for them), muddy means undefined / indistinct / unclear and so on.
One thing that did strike me about both guitars was how the sound became very much more 'blended' / integrated / rounded as a whole in sound more balanced - nothing standing out over other components of the sound.
New guitars sound - like new guitars.

I think a lot of  “Conventional wisdom” of the internet is based on instruments that have not had enough time or playing to achieve the nirvana state of a well played in guitar.
Also who is generating this “Conventional wisdom” - players like guitars need to be  ‘played in’  to meaningfully comment.
lotsa folk like pictures of new acquisitions - I like sound clips - ?
happy pickin
oh PS. Harvest was recorded in Nashville by engineers and producers at the top of their game, with equipment to match - that's where the sound on the album came from.

[/quote]

Northman,
Thanks for the clarification. I agree with your observation that new guitars need to be "played-in." As I stated in previous contributions any of my Eastman guitars stand up VERY WELL in side-by-side comparisons to their counterparts made by anyone else. This is not just my opinion, it is shared by many. In the end its about what brings you joy and inspiration. Also, I was under the impression that anyone who loves guitars can contribute.
(02-25-2018, 12:30 PM)eastmanschool Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 10:26 AM)campacj Wrote: BTW I've read that Young's "Harvest" album was recorded with a 1930s Martin D-18 that once belonged to Hank Williams Sr.

Not sure which acoustic NY used on Harvest, but his Hank Williams guitar is a D-28.

Damn it!

I just accidentally deleted a 4ish paragraph review of my 2 guitars.

ES - thankfully it was saved in the system; I just sent you a private message so you can post the review.
To quote Archie Bunker, "Thanks a lot there, Meathead."

Speaking strictly of my contributions, this thread is become something of an anti-climax. Conclusions-wise. It's just that I've yet to draw any! Don't know what made me think that me -- of all people, with my old loud-music-damaged-ears -- would be able to hear subtle differences in tone, let alone describe them.

And it goes without saying that the tonal characteristics of both these guitars should change dramatically over time. (Right?)

From personal experience, I'd say the Sitka will be much more open and fuller sounding after a year. On the other hand though, this one is slightly heavier than my previous 6, so there are no guaranteed time frames. Not sure what will happen with the red spruce, because I've never owned a 10 before.

I had the E10D set up by my guy, but so far haven't done anything to the E6d. They're both strung with .12s, though I bet the E10D might be better suited to mediums. Add to all of that the mitigating factors of wood quality, thicknesses, skill or mood that day of the person who put the boxes together and what I'm left with are my impressions of the hear and now. (See what I did there?)

Best I can say (as of today) is that the 6, when played with a moderate pick hand, has volume that just jumps out at you! It has a strong bass and midrange presence. The 10, as I've come to expect reading about red spruce, takes a slightly more aggressive strum to match the volume. Its tone is more balanced across the 6 strings. Honestly, both can be overdriven enough to suit my "playing" style.

I'd be very, very hard-pressed to choose between them at this point. True story; 2 or 3 times I thought, "this is THE one. I just love the 10," then looked down and realized I was playing the 6. Or vice versa. Can I keep them both?
glad you got u'r post back - good summation.
typically what I was alluding to re - “Conventional wisdom” was summed up beautifully
on a big acoustic forum in the stares a guy was questioning Eastmans QC, which was what the topic was titled, in particular the accuracy of a brands ’Scale Length’ . He’d measured it (4 times) with a ‘yard stick’ and wasn’t getting the result that was in the company spec. Lots of reply and advice given (3/4 pages) and someone suggested measuring from nut to twelfth fret - and doubling it. Still wrong answer !.
Turned out the guy though the ‘space’ - half way between the 11th and twelfth fret WAS the ’12 fret’.
He had half a dozen guitars listed in his signature - but didn’t know what he was doing.
The title and ensuing mis / disinformation would not do Eastman any good - newbie reeds theres an issue with they’re spec - goes and turns his attention elsewhere.
One of my old make of ‘boutique’ guitars has been accused many times (on forums) of -
1 not having a truss rod
2 having a soundboard twice as thick os others.
3 not having a bridge plate.
all untrue but these things kept reappearing - “I read somewhere that” - blah blah - this false ‘wisdom’ damages good companies reputations and potentially sales.
just for example.
happy pickin
es, I think you're having a good time in the process... love em all, dance til you drop.

In one of the old Beatles' movies, John and Ringo were on a crowded elevator.  Ringo says... John, pull me finger.
(02-25-2018, 08:38 AM)Meathead Wrote: Hey Campacj, Zissou Intern:

I purchased my very first Eastman (AC312) from Kennelly Keys in Lynnwood.  

The last time I was in their Lynnwood store, they had a wall of Eastmen. I think there were 5 E10D's and 3's and 4's of many of the other models. If I was going to buy an Eastman, that would've been the place to ensure that you got a good example.