E6D on the way, E10D in the house. Something's got to give.
Fascinating.. I really like seeing the specs you posted, very interesting! Remind me, the E6 is the new 2017 model, correct? If so, your specs are proving my theory that Eastman has improved/wider nut and saddle spacing in newer versus earlier models.

Upon visual inspection, I believe the guitar on the right is the E6?
(02-14-2018, 10:42 AM)Meathead Wrote: Fascinating..  I really like seeing the specs you posted, very interesting!  Remind me, the E6 is the new 2017 model, correct?  If so, your specs are proving my theory that Eastman has improved/wider nut and saddle spacing in newer versus earlier models.

Upon visual inspection, I believe the guitar on the right is the E6?

Ding, ding, ding! Give the man a ceegar! 

The 6 is on the right - good eyes! And yes, it's a 2017. BTW, I wonder if the E10SS is included in the group getting the wider nut/saddle spacing for 2017. I would love to know.
I like the E6D spec's including the thicker neck. 

I am looking forward to the tonal review.
(02-14-2018, 08:38 PM)Zissou Intern Wrote: I like the E6D spec's including the thicker neck. 

It's by far the fattest neck I've ever encountered on an Eastman. Surprising. 

Waiting for the new strings to calm down already! Soon.
(02-16-2018, 11:38 AM)eastmanschool Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 08:38 PM)Zissou Intern Wrote: I like the E6D spec's including the thicker neck. 

It's by far the fattest neck I've ever encountered on an Eastman. Surprising. 

Waiting for the new strings to calm down already! Soon.

It sounds like a great neck. I hope it has the tone for you.
I predict you will like the E6 better...just based on the slightly wider neck :)
(02-08-2018, 10:51 AM)eastmanschool Wrote: I just ordered an E6D from The Mandolin Store. Apparently it's been in the shop for a while. 

And I already have an E10D. So, if all goes according to plan, I'll be able to A/B the Sitka and Adirondack tops next week. 

Get in on the ground floor: One of them - hopefully the 10 (built October '15) - will be available soon after.

I have an E10D that is just beautiful and a cannon. This model is very popular with bluegrass players because it projects so prodigiously! As far as the Adirondack spruce vs Sitka spruce comparison, I believe that the quality of the cut is AT LEAST as important as the species. I also own an E8D (Sitka) that outplayed an E20D (Adirondack) side-by-side when I was shopping for a spruce/EIR guitar. IMHO there's no substitute for being able to play both instruments (whenever possible) before you buy. Then again, I'd buy both if I have the bucks! Enjoy, and let us know how it turns out!  Smile
Welcome to the forum compacj, much truth in what you are saying about two pieces of the same wood, can be very diff.
bert
I'd like to add that I own the OM versions of each guitar, the E10OM and the E8OM. Both are excellent instruments, beautiful, well-crafted, and have very high quality sound. I find that the choice of strings is VERY important to any guitar's sound. For dreadnaught-sized models I like Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor/Bronze 12-53 strings and for Orchestra Model guitars I really like Ernie Ball Aluminum/Bronze 11-52 strings. I believe the Aluminum/Bronze strings help smaller-bodied guitars balance their sound, which can be a little "tinny" with PB strings.

I have read that many people feel that our beloved Eastman guitars sound more like Collings guitars than like Martin guitars. I feel fine about that as I consider Collings guitars to be a step UP from Martin guitars. Currently, I own the following guitars:

1) Eastman E8D
2) Eastman E8OM
3) Eastman E10D
4) Eastman E10OM
5) Washburn HB-35 in wine red w/Seymour Duncan's Hot-rodded humbucker pickup set
6) Fender/Sigler Custom Stratocaster
7) G&L Tribute L2000 Bass
8) Yamaha FGX800C
9) Cordoba C5 classical

I have loved guitars and guitar music since I was a preschool child who saw the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show in February, 1964. I have played guitar for over 40 years and plan to do so until the day I leave this world!
Thanks for the welcome,
campacj
Seattle, WA
If anyone runs into a good E6D with a full 1 3/4" nut and full profile neck, please let me know. I sold my 2016 D18 (couldn't get along with the thin neck profile), and my Gibson J15 is lonely. I was thinking about a thermo cured 10D or 20D but seems they are several months out.