E6D on the way, E10D in the house. Something's got to give.
Keith: I think that John at The Acoustic Shoppe has them in stock.

campajc: I think I’m going to try Ernie Ball AB next on my E20OM-SB. I have a set of GHS Signature Bronze now, which are the best strings I’ve found for this guitar, so far. Brighter strings are really tinny, and warmer strings sound too dull. The Sigs are good, but maybe some ABs will do the trick.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
compajc, really enjoyed your intro post, again welcome. Our local Collings dealer Maple Street (ATL, my avatar pic) introduced me to Eastman 8-9yrs ago. I can attest that Eastman does not build a guitar equal to my Collings CJmhA, but my Eastman E20OM-TC does not stand in the background to any. And yes, Eastmans do have a more clear Collings type tone than CFM imo.

You have a very worthy selection of Eastmans, good choices you have there. (btw, I also have an G&L L2000) I'm sure I must have watched the same Beatles on the Sullivan Show back when.

Since Tim Shaw brought EGF to life in Sept, 2017, it has been steady growing and bringing in new folks who love Eastman instruments. So glad to have you join. bert
Interesting, Bert. Other than my Waterloo, which doesn't count, I've only ever played one Collings, for about 5 minutes. So I'm pretty ignorant about their tonal quality. 
I do know that none of my Eastman dreads ever sounded like D18s, my archtop like an L48 or an L7, or my E10SS like a J45.

Collings, huh?

BTW, loving both of my dreads. If I sell one, I may have to "let the market decide."
(02-19-2018, 08:45 AM)Bert Wrote: compajc, really enjoyed your intro post, again welcome.  Our local Collings dealer Maple Street (ATL, my avatar pic) introduced me to Eastman 8-9yrs ago.  I can attest that Eastman does not build a guitar equal to my Collings CJmhA, but my Eastman E20OM-TC does not stand in the background to any.  And yes, Eastmans do have a more clear Collings type tone than CFM imo.

You have a very worthy selection of Eastmans, good choices you have there.  (btw, I also have an G&L L2000)  I'm sure I must have watched the same Beatles on the Sullivan Show back when.

Since Tim Shaw brought EGF to life in Sept, 2017, it has been steady growing and bringing in new folks who love Eastman instruments.  So glad to have you join.  bert

Bert,
Thanks for the welcome!

I live in Seattle, WA where there is a store called Dusty Strings (store.dustystrings.com/). They have a generous supply of acoustic guitars from Martin, Collings, Santa Cruz, Froggy Bottom and many others. What I can say from my own experience spending many hours in "the candy store" is that my E8D, E8OM, E10D, and E10OM stand up VERY WELL when compared, side-by-side, to their Martin and Collings counterparts. I don't have much experience with J45-style guitars.

I agree with comments I've read to the effect that Eastman guitars, in particular, is forcing American guitar companies to "wake up and smell the coffee" and give us quality guitars that regular folks can afford. I agree that this is much the same as what Japanese auto makers did with "the big three" American auto makers during the eighties and nineties. I also applaud Yamaha for their FG800 series guitars that have set the guitar-making world on it's ear in the last couple of years with incredible quality for $200 to $300. These happenings signal a new era in the industry and that is good news for all us regular folks.

It is truly astounding the quality one can get today for under $500 when compared to what was available in the early seventies!
campacj
(02-19-2018, 01:25 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: Keith: I think that John at The Acoustic Shoppe has them in stock.

campajc: I think I’m going to try Ernie Ball AB next on my E20OM-SB.  I have a set of GHS Signature Bronze now, which are the best strings I’ve found for this guitar, so far.  Brighter strings are really tinny, and warmer strings sound too dull.  The Sigs are good, but maybe some ABs will do the trick.

The only drawback is that they're not coated like the Elixirs so you have to change them more often. I am excited to see what you think. They work well for me.  Shy
I don't use coated strings, except on my electric guitars, which get less use. I am used to changing strings every 4-6 weeks, although the AB strings last longer than PB (and way longer than 80/20). I'm very familiar with EB ABs, as I used them on my Mahogany and Cedar tops in the past.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(02-18-2018, 07:59 PM)campacj Wrote: ...I Currently, I own the following guitars:

1) Eastman E8D
2) Eastman E8OM
3) Eastman E10D
4) Eastman E10OM

Hey capacj: Did any of those Eastmen come from Kennelly Keys or American Music in Fremont?
Yeah, the one on that side is the E6D, right?
Will the power of the E10D sway you to prefer it?
Will the sweet voice of the E6D sway you to prefer it?

Eastman AC422CE
CAUTION: I'm Singing A Christian Song (AC422)[/font][/size]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfM4wJZUYoE

Zissou Intern
(02-18-2018, 07:59 PM)campacj Wrote: ...I Currently, I own the following guitars:

1) Eastman E8D
2) Eastman E8OM
3) Eastman E10D
4) Eastman E10OM

Hey campacj: Did any of those Eastman come from Kennelly Keys or American Music in Fremont?

Thanks for the question!

Yes, the E10D and E8D came from American Music. I traded a Martin Custom D Classic Mahogany Dreadnought for the E10OM and a Martin DRS2 for the E8OM. Some people might think I was nuts but I'm honestly happier with the guitars that I have now. I feel that each is an excellent example of it's category and they are all beautiful to look at and equally beautiful to hear. The E8OM is my current favorite but that changes periodically. About three years ago, I owned an Eastman AC412OM that I sold and then missed terribly. The E8OM fills that role very nicely now.

I've had the opportunity to visit Dusty Strings frequently and compare each of my guitars to their respective Martin and Collings counterparts and they compare VERY WELL in both craftsmanship and sound IMHO. When I bought the E8D (Sitka Spruce top), it was hanging right next to an E20D (Adirondack Spruce top). The E8D had "the sound", powerful, beautiful, and with great sustain. That particular E20D, not so much. In my mind its always wise to try before you buy if at all possible. Even the top makers can have an off-day and produce a guitar that's not all it should be.
Hey Campacj, Zissou Intern:

I purchased my very first Eastman (AC312) from Kennelly Keys in Lynnwood. I've also spent time in Dusty Strings (great store!). The Seattle area has some decent options when it comes to shopping for Eastman. I lived in the Bothell area for many years before moving home to Arizona.

Campacj: How do you like your E8OM versus your E10OM? Just curious how would you compare the tone between the two?