E40OM vs E20OM-TC
I am new to learning how to play and enjoying every glorious and frustrating minute of it. I started about a year ago and have cycled through several guitars. Some were flat-out mistakes others were a change of preference. My current guitarsenal is a Cort P1200 cedar/rosewood for travel (BTW great little parlor), a 2016 Martin 000-18 that I bought via Reverb and a 2017 Eastman E8D that continues to astound me. I always thought I would get a D/HD-28 and be complete but I just can't see spending 2-4X more. I bought the Eastman via CL locally and cannot believe the playability, sound, neck, look etc etc. At first I was a little concerned about the country of origin stigma. Now I am realizing the value equation these guitars offer. I love the sound and the extra money in my wallet. It goes to the cost of lessons which are direly needed.

I would like to add a 000 or OM adirondack/rosewood to complement the others. The concern I have is after reading most of the discussions on this board is the playing time it would take to open up the E40. I travel about 50% of the time and tend to switch off during my practicing at home between the Martin and the Eastman. The question - should I focus on the E20OM-TC since it is already "aged" vs the time it will take to get the most out of the E40OM? I am assuming the guitars will feel very similar and unfortunately due to availability it is nigh impossible to play one next to the other. My local Eastman dealer has ordered in an E40OM and offered to sell it to me at a killer price. They are just getting started handling guitars (they are more of an orchestral dealer) and I think are trying to generate some volume and interest in fretted instruments. 

Thanks for reading.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
TomC, welcome to the EGF, good to have another Eastman player sign-in.

The TC top is ready day one and only gets better.  I've had my E20OM-TC for 6mos now, it is out of this world great.  The 40s look fabulous and nothing bad to say, just that.. I'm too old for the play-in.

I sold my 2014 Martin 000-18 several months ago,  I still have a 2015 Martin 000-17SM with the same mahog / sitka config, both good std model Martins.  It would take a Martin Authentic OM VTS or Bourgeois Aged Tone OM  to equal the E20OM-TC in my experience.

I'm very fortunate to own a 2013 Bourgeois 00 pao rosewood / redwood guitar.  It is such a pleasure playing them side by side, never a thought as to which is better, they both are as good as it gets.

Best wishes in your journey.  bert
Welcome, TomC.  I agree with Bert's comments above.  The E20OM-TC sounds (and looks) like a 20yo guitar out of the gate, so you can bypass those initial stages, which can be a little cold and harsh on an Adi (Red) Spruce top.

But the "40" series have something extra to them, whether it's the premium spruce or the tap tuning for optimal sound.  I've really enjoyed the journey with this guitar.  The tone on my E40OM blossomed after only 4-6 months, and every month, the tone gets even better.  It may be the clearest, most balanced guitar I've ever owned.

You have a great opportunity to audition an E40OM.  If you like it when it's new, you can be confident that it will only get better over time.  But if you're not comfortable with that new Adi sound, then maybe the TC model is a safer bet.  Either way, you can't go wrong!
Gentlemen
Thank you for your insights. I am not sure when the guitar will be in. The local dealer said they had it in stock and I am assuming that means CA. Unfortunately I have a lot of travel over the next three weeks and there might be a slight delay in playing it. 
Thanks again.
TomC
(05-18-2018, 09:34 PM)TomC Wrote: Gentlemen
Thank you for your insights. I am not sure when the guitar will be in. The local dealer said they had it in stock and I am assuming that means CA. Unfortunately I have a lot of travel over the next three weeks and there might be a slight delay in playing it. 
Thanks again.
TomC

Hi, Tom - I think that you will end up with a guitar that you will be very happy with - just a little cautionary note - I have had an E20D-TC on order since last August and the estimated arrival date keeps getting pushed further and further out into the future......I guess Eastman is having trouble with the Themocured guitars for whatever reason. As nearly everyone on this site will agree, Eastman produces high quality guitars that offer unmatched value for the price but I believe that their Marketing people do a disservice to their customers by offering products for sale that they are not in a position to deliver - if you decide on the 20 series I hope you have better luck than I have had - Maybe get a firm commitment on a delivery date from your dealer before ordering. Good luck !!
Thanks Paul. I noticed a dealer in Cleveland shows one in stock. As luck would have it, I will be in Cleveland the first week of June. If it is still there, I will try to make some time and stop in. Here's the listing if you are interested.

https://reverb.com/item/6863962-eastman-...iption-tab

Paul - Here is the direct listing. https://www.guitarriot.com/listing/eastm...er/6863962

Paul - my mistake. That is an E20OM-TC not the dreadnaught.
(05-19-2018, 07:11 AM)TomC Wrote: Thanks Paul. I noticed a dealer in Cleveland shows one in stock. As luck would have it, I will be in Cleveland the first week of June. If it is still there, I will try to make some time and stop in. Here's the listing if you are interested.

https://reverb.com/item/6863962-eastman-...iption-tab

Paul - Here is the direct listing. https://www.guitarriot.com/listing/eastm...er/6863962

Paul - my mistake. That is an E20OM-TC not the dreadnaught.Actually, MY mistake - I meant to say "if you decide on the TC series", not the 20 series.....still pretty early in the day for an old fart like me.....
Welcome to the Forum Tom. I'd say you'll be very happy with the E20OM-TC or the E40OM. bert and others give some very strong reviews of their E20OM-TC guitars! I played an E40D a couple of months ago, it was a really wonderful guitar, tone and feel, the neck was special, tone like no other Eastman. I'll predict that when the E40OM comes in to your dealer, that you play it and cannot resist buying it. Not that is would be superior to an E20OM-TC, but if you have not been able to play an E20OM-TC and compare the two.....the E40OM is going to be a great instrument. A side comment, you said your Eastman E8D continues to astound you.... a question, what are you hoping for or expecting from the 2 above guitars you're considering. I'm sure I advocate on the forum, too often for sitka spruce and engleman spruce over Adirondack spruce tops. Is it that you want a smaller guitar, or do you want an Adirondack top? One of our forum administrators and I give high praises to our AC512OM Eastmans, engleman spruce tops, mahogany bodies. Mine (new 2 months ago) has been the guitar I reach for generally since I got it. And the Eastman E8D has 2 little sisters (same woods), the slightly smaller AC422 Grand Auditorium, and the E8OM (aka AC412OM if abalone rosette). Lots of options. Adirondack is certainly bolder than sitka, but IMO, sitka sounds sweeter, but my AC512OM also continues to astound me.

Eastman AC422CE
CAUTION: I'm Singing A Christian Song (AC422)[/font][/size]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfM4wJZUYoE

I appreciate the comments BillyMo. And yes fortunately I believe I am selecting between two good choices. I already have a Martin 000-18 which covers the sitka/mahogany small body. I did play an E6OM at the dealer and if truth be told it was a delightful instrument and 1/2 the price I paid for the Martin used. The E20 or E40 would just cover one more different base. Thanks for your suggestion on looking at the AC series. I will keep an open mind and give them a try when I find one. 

Everyone - thank you so much. This is all new to me and I appreciate the guidance. As I read these forums and talk to people who have been playing a long time, one recommendation keeps coming up - regardless of what others think, it matters how it sounds and feels to you. So play as many as you can and you will find the right one.
Hi TomC - welcome to the forum!  I agree with the other comments, I predict you will be really pleased with either the TC or the 40 series.  If I were shopping for the same two, I'd have a rough tough time deciding.  The good news is that you can't go wrong.  As Billy mentioned, if you also ever have a chance to try an Engelmann topped Eastman (like the 512) you would probably like it as well - I love mine.  

Keep us posted on your search... 
Tim

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ‘18 E40OM vs ‘21 E40OM-TC Bourgeois influenced TomC 11 761 04-23-2024, 09:39 PM
Last Post: PrimateParty