E40OM vs E20OM-TC
Very cool, Tom! I am looking forward to read your NGD post. I am also looking forward to playing one of the TC models!
Congratulations on the new E40, Tom!  Excited to hear about it and see pictures when it arrives.
(06-01-2018, 04:08 PM)TomC Wrote: So I sent Ted a PM to discuss his 3 E40OMs referenced by PV. Surprise - he called me about an hour later to discuss what he has. I would agree with the previous comments. Ted was very informative and patient. We exchanged a couple of emails and two phone calls later I am the proud owner of a new E40OM. Unfortunately I have to wait until the week of June 18th due to a couple long business trips next week and the week after before I get the guitar. I would like to thank everyone for their help and suggestions. I will post some pics and impressions upon receipt. 
TomC

Congrats, Tom!  I hope you enjoy your new E40OM as much as I do mine.  Can't wait to hear all about it later this month.  Cheers!
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Best wishes Tom, all the good things PV and others had to say about Ted and Helene helped me make my E20OM-TC decision, more good things to say from here.  bert
I highly recommend the ToneRite system for breaking in new Acoustic Guitars. I have a number of Eastmans, and they have all benefitted from using the ToneRite.

Recently acquired AC630-BD and so far it is incredible.
Hi David, welcome to the forum.  Tim Shaw (meathead) had the great idea for this board and has made it into something special. So good to have new members find there way to the community.

My son's AC630 is 4yrs old now, just gets better and better.   congratulations

bert
My new E40OM arrived yesterday. Due to some extended travel I had to wait to get the guitar. I would like to once again thank Ted and Helene at LA Guitar Sales for all of their assistance - great people with whom to work!
Observations - aesthetically this is a beautiful guitar. The MOP is very uniform in appearance. I think Eastman must make an effort to select pieces with matching characteristics. Even the fretboard inlays, headstock and bridge pieces match with the rest of the inlays. The adi top is uniform in grain pattern and color. The RW back is dark and very straight grain. The finish is mirror like and was difficult to get a picture that didn't reflect what was in the background. The neck is very similar to my E8D in feel with the ebony strip being a nice touch. I have read on various on-line postings some critical comments about Eastman's finishing touches but I can't see any issues with this guitar. She's a beaut and will be featured on an upcoming episode of Pimp My Guitar.

Initial playing comments - she is LOUD right out of the box. I have a Martin 000-18 with a John Pearse armrest on it, and this 40 blows it away. The bass has got a very nice low end rumble that I can feel in my chest from the back of the guitar. But I think what has impressed me the most is the sustain. It just rings and carries on and on and on. I thought the Martin had good sustain, but the E40 has it beat. This whole foray into acoustic guitars is new to me and if what everyone says is true that adi opens up and becomes even better/richer sounding, then I can't wait to hear how she matures.

Some final observations and then hopefully a few pictures will post.
1) I am not crazy about the pickguard. It just seems a little small. I am sure it is quite functional. It can always been replaced.
2) The action is a little high for my playing. I probably should take it in for a professionals set up. There seems to be some room in the nut for deeper grooves and the saddle is a little high. This is not a criticism, just my preference.
3) I am looking forward to the two of us maturing together on this acoustic journey. I probably won't use a Tonerite and instead just play it to my heart's content. That should hopefully improve the sound but more importantly improve my abilities. What a great incentive!

Thanks everyone for all of their guidance and advise. I am quite pleased with my decision and this beautiful looking and sounding guitar. My collection is now complete with a small Cort P1200 for travel (amazing little guitar), Martin 000-18 sitka/mahogany, E40OM Adi/RW and the ED8 Big Rose sitka/RW. I should have all of the bases covered and don't see any need to add to my collection. Someone remind of this statement when I start asking questions about Engelmann spruce.

Attached Files

Tom, how sweet it is, congratulations on a beautiful, hand made, boutique guitar.  Your pictures look outstanding.  Yes, Eastman does the detail work as good as it gets.  I do setups on any guitar I buy, nothing unusual in dialing in to what you prefer.

The first thing I did when I got my E20OM-TC last Nov was order a full sized '000-18 size/model' pickguard from Guitar Gallery, fit perfect.  I didn't want to scratch the spruce with my pinky doing the feel/guide thing.  There are other places to buy, but I have good things to say as a ref.
https://www.guitargal.com/collections/pi...ick-guards

I ordered the 'dark' one they had in stock at that time, have to check what they have in currently:
[Image: J4TiOs0.jpg]
Tom,
Oh....What a great guitar. Very happy for you that you like it so much, I hope you now realize why I was so impressed and enthusiastic with the e40om. When I have sold one guitar and if my next one sells I think I will be ready. Now you have 2 of my all time favorites the 00018 and now the e40om. I think you will be satisfied for awhile. I agree get another pick guard, it is more noticeable on the natural wood.
Get started breaking it in. Take care.

Duke
(06-20-2018, 08:48 AM)Bert Wrote: Tom, how sweet it is, congratulations on a beautiful, hand made, boutique guitar.  Your pictures look outstanding.  Yes, Eastman does the detail work as good as it gets.  I do setups on any guitar I buy, nothing unusual in dialing in to what you prefer.

The first thing I did when I got my E20OM-TC last Nov was order a full sized '000-18 size/model' pickguard from Guitar Gallery, fit perfect.  I didn't want to scratch the spruce with my pinky doing the feel/guide thing.  There are other places to buy, but I have good things to say as a ref.
https://www.guitargal.com/collections/pi...ick-guards

I ordered the 'dark' one they had in stock at that time, have to check what they have in currently:

Bert
I really like the looks of your guitar with herring bone and pickguard. I was wondering if the top has darkened over time or if that is the typical TC look or toner or?? I have the 000-18 with a similar looking guard. The clearances along the binding, bridge and rosette look very similar to yours. I traced it out and laid it on the 40 and I think I will have an issue with size due to the inlays.  The inlays make the edges about 1/8" wider as well as the soundhole rosettes. I traced the guard and then tried altering it to fit better and not cover up the inlays. I have read a few comments about Taylor Mullins and Holter Pickguards. I am hoping he can make a custom one to fit. He emailed me some templates of "typical" OM size guards, but I like the look of the larger one. 
TomC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ‘18 E40OM vs ‘21 E40OM-TC Bourgeois influenced TomC 12 962 05-14-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Gustavo Eiriz