E40OM vs E20OM-TC
Hi Tom,
I was able to play a new e40om yesterday as well as 20 plus Eastmans at an Eastman event held by Steve Bernstein, the West Coast US rep.

It was the best guitar there period. Even the electric players were impressed. Why was it so good, first the volume was dreadnought like, second the balance was just perfect up and down the neck, third just a beautiful looking guitar the sunburst and fourth the neck and comfort. The action was high but it felt low.

I cant compare it too the e20tc but Wow!, And I am sure it was sold.

I will be going to another Eastman event tomorrow and will give a rundown of my favorites next week, but had to tell everyone how impressed I was.

Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend! Be safe.
Duke
Thank you for the report. I am supposed to be able to put hands on it next week, although from what I hear delivery can be elusive on certain models. Does anyone know if Eastman publishes a schedule of their events?
DukeS: thanks for the report.  Looking forward to your continued feedback from Gryphon Strings tomorrow.  My E40OM is exactly as you describe.  It has dread volume, and it's a very full sound... but none of the "boominess."  It may be the most balanced guitar I've ever owned, and at just over one year, it keeps getting better.

TomC: I just checked on the Eastman Guitars FB page, and these are the only events listed for May.  No future events listed at this time, but they're pretty good about keeping the events page updated.
So I received an email this morning confirming the shipment of the E40OM. It was coming with a larger shipment of Eastman guitars to the local rep due in on Thursday or Friday. About an hour later I received this message:
 I just got a message from our rep at Eastman with some bad news. He told me the guitar didn't ship on Friday, because their workshop head decided it didn't pass QC. There are some white spots in the rosewood under the varnish, which is the reason he pulled it from the shipping queue. This was the only available guitar of that model. I am currently waiting for our rep to reply again, confirming the ETA for the next one.

I must say I am a little disappointed. But I guess all good things come to those you wait. Or maybe patience is a virtue. Or maybe patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. Or maybe - damn where's my guitar?!
TomC: sorry about the news.  FYI, I just looked on LA Guitar's website, and they have three in stock (two natural, one burst).  You could give Ted a call, and he could likely help you pick out the best of the bunch!  His knowledge, prices, and service are difficult to beat.

LA Guitar Sales link (filtered to Eastman OM guitars):  https://www.laguitarsales.com/index.php/...8&limit=36
Pura Vida
Thank you for the suggestion. I was hoping to play one before purchasing and it would be nice to support a local dealer, but they can't sell what they can't get. It seems from what I have read hear and on AGF, Ted at LA Guitars has a sterling reputation.
No harm in giving him a call.  I've purchased five guitars from Ted, and never any issues --- either with the guitars or the buying experience.  Some were easy decisions, but a few took more time, which Ted was always willing to extend to me.  Others will echo this feedback, so you can buy with confidence.

Taking a closer look at his three guitars, all of them have the pickguard already attached, which indicate they're more recent stock (pickguards were not pre-attached prior to 2018).  All three guitars have a distinctive look: the burst (obviously), and the two natural tops --- the second (#55923) might have just a little more red and wider grain, and the back is darker than the first one (#50100), which is blonde and nice, straight grain on the back.  But those aesthetics may not be an indicator to the sound, which is most important.   Smile
Ted besides having an excellent selection of Eastmans and other super guitars, he just is so interested wanting to get you the right information.
Always answers my emails.
Duke
(05-18-2018, 05:46 PM)TomC Wrote: I am new to learning how to play and enjoying every glorious and frustrating minute of it. I started about a year ago and have cycled through several guitars. Some were flat-out mistakes others were a change of preference. My current guitarsenal is a Cort P1200 cedar/rosewood for travel (BTW great little parlor), a 2016 Martin 000-18 that I bought via Reverb and a 2017 Eastman E8D that continues to astound me. I always thought I would get a D/HD-28 and be complete but I just can't see spending 2-4X more. I bought the Eastman via CL locally and cannot believe the playability, sound, neck, look etc etc. At first I was a little concerned about the country of origin stigma. Now I am realizing the value equation these guitars offer. I love the sound and the extra money in my wallet. It goes to the cost of lessons which are direly needed.

I would like to add a 000 or OM adirondack/rosewood to complement the others. The concern I have is after reading most of the discussions on this board is the playing time it would take to open up the E40. I travel about 50% of the time and tend to switch off during my practicing at home between the Martin and the Eastman. The question - should I focus on the E20OM-TC since it is already "aged" vs the time it will take to get the most out of the E40OM? I am assuming the guitars will feel very similar and unfortunately due to availability it is nigh impossible to play one next to the other. My local Eastman dealer has ordered in an E40OM and offered to sell it to me at a killer price. They are just getting started handling guitars (they are more of an orchestral dealer) and I think are trying to generate some volume and interest in fretted instruments. 

Thanks for reading.

Hi Tom,

As one of a top Eastman dealer I've had the opportunity to play many examples of each model, and I say that if you like the E40OM than go for it. The E20OM-TC is a great addition to the line, but I would not loose much sleep over an Adi top needing to open up. The guitars sound great out of the gate, and they will just keep better, and that goes for the models with torrified tops as well.

BTW, as with Martin, Eastmans 40 series do have some extra magic. Wink

Edit: just read the latest replies. Thanks for the kind words folks.
Ted
LA Guitar Sales - 310.246.1933
So I sent Ted a PM to discuss his 3 E40OMs referenced by PV. Surprise - he called me about an hour later to discuss what he has. I would agree with the previous comments. Ted was very informative and patient. We exchanged a couple of emails and two phone calls later I am the proud owner of a new E40OM. Unfortunately I have to wait until the week of June 18th due to a couple long business trips next week and the week after before I get the guitar. I would like to thank everyone for their help and suggestions. I will post some pics and impressions upon receipt. 
TomC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ‘18 E40OM vs ‘21 E40OM-TC Bourgeois influenced TomC 12 962 05-14-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Gustavo Eiriz