‘18 E40OM vs ‘21 E40OM-TC Bourgeois influenced
So it comes as no surprise that I love my E40OM short scale, Adirondack/Rosewood dove tail neck joint with Nitro finish. I was always intrigued by the E40OM-TC made in ‘21 on a limited basis. These are long scale, bolt on necks, Torrefied Adirondack/Rosewood with TrueTone finish. I never got around to trying the new one.
On Monday I received an email asking if I wanted to sell the 2018. I declined. Then I saw an ad for the ‘21 available for pick-up in Chicago. As luck would have it, I had a trip to Chicago Tuesday. I met up with the seller and bought it. Sold the 2018 at the same time. I am shipping the 2018 tonight. Before I do I plan to do a quick comparison between the two. Sorry for the click bait post but more to come.
Meathead, sleigh, Timelessdrifter, AlanSam like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Ooooh I am excited about the comparison! Please do share your thoughts Tom when able! Looking forward to it.
Timelessdrifter likes this post
This was an interesting comparison. I did not have a lot of time (about an hour) as I had to get the '18 packed up and shipped out. But I was able to draw some conclusions. Below are my comments, which are mine alone. Both were strung with a brand new set of GHS Phosphor Bronze 12-54.
To recap:
The '18 - 2018 E40OM Adirondack/Rosewood, 24.9" scale, dove tail neck joint, nitrocellulose finish. Note - A LOT of play time on it. The guitar I thought I would never sell. 
The '21 - 2021 E40OM-TC Torrefied Adirondack/Rosewood, 25.4" scale, bolt-on neck joint, TrueTone water based finish. Note - Looks mint with very little play time on it. 
Build quality - both excellent, very clean interiors, great finish work.
Finish - The '18 is nitro. The '21 is TrueTone. The finish on the '21 might be a little thinner. It is not noticeably so. Long term durability is to be seen. I think Bourgeois has been using the water based finishes for some time. 
Materials - the only difference on the bodies is the torrefied Adirondack of the '21 compared to plain Adirondack of the '18. The top on the '18 is very tight grain and straight throughout. The grain on the '21 is tight at the center and slowly widens to the edges. Both have similar looking EIR back and sides.
Inlays - Both exceptionally well done from the torch on the headstock to the inlays around the body and the sound hole. Eastman does an excellent job of matching all of the little pieces.
Neck - The '18 is a three piece neck with a strip of ebony in the center. The '21 is a solid mahogany neck without a stacked heel nor kerf joint at the headstock. The neck on the '18 is a full C and I found it a little thicker than other Eastmans I have owned. The neck on the '21 is more of a soft V without the shoulders of the '18. It feels a little thinner in the hand, but the depths are about the same. To me, the feel of the '21 neck is a definite plus.
Nut width - Both are spec'd at 1.75". Both are slightly over at 1.77". String spacing at the nut is basically the same 1.51"
Bracing - There are considerable differences between the two. The back bracing on the '21 looks to be about 1/2 the size of the '18. The top bracing on the '21 is much more scalloped and shorter than the top bracing on the '18.
Weight - They are comparable. I think the added weight of the neck joint on the '21 is offset by the lighter bracing.
Set Up -  The '21 could use a set-up. I have already lowered relief from > .010 to about .005. The action is still a little high. The '18 was dialed in perfectly to my preferences.
Tone - The notes just pop out of the '21. It is noticeably louder. The sustain is exceptional. The trebles have a little more sparkle to them. The notes are rounder/fuller on the '18. Great over-tones and a lush finish. With the shorter scale on the '18 bends are easier and it just feels a little softer on the fingers.  The difference in string tension is noticeable.

Conclusion - One is not better than the other. The differences are subtle, not dramatic, with the exception of the trebles on the '21 seem to be more pronounced. I can see where the longer scale might be beneficial for drop tunings, TBH - that is not something that is a primary concern for me. If I had the space and an unlimited hobby budget, I could easily see keeping both. I am definitely going to miss my old friend the '18 E40OM. The '21 is a more then suitable replacement. I may need to rethink my string preference. GHS PB 12-54 seemed to me to be perfect for the '18. I am not sure that will be the case with the '21 especially with the more prominent trebles. The '18 is a warm blanket by the fireplace, listening to some great acoustic fingerstyle. The '21 is a get up and dance to some driving acoustic rock (or maybe bluegrass if that's your thing). The '18 is a smooth single batch scotch. The '21 is a shot of Wild Turkey. Ok that's enough of the lame analogies. Plus what the h*&# do I know. I don't even drink. 

Thank for your indulgence. If anyone else has had a chance to compare these two, I would love to hear your thoughts.
Oldjock, noahhoward, Mitch, cgalardi, AlanSam, sleigh, Meathead like this post

Thanks for the comparison!  I always love to see what you're going to get next.
TomC and cgalardi like this post
(04-18-2024, 02:50 PM)Vapour Wrote: Thanks for the comparison!  I always love to see what you're going to get next.

I guess my reputation precedes me. I am not sure how to take that. ADHD Tom is at it again.  Wink
sleigh and AlanSam like this post

(04-18-2024, 03:13 PM)TomC Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 02:50 PM)Vapour Wrote: Thanks for the comparison!  I always love to see what you're going to get next.

I guess my reputation precedes me. I am not sure how to take that. ADHD Tom is at it again.  Wink 

It's really amazing.  We have similar tastes and your reviews have quashed a lot of purchases. THANK YOU!
Tom
thanks for the insides. very well written! 

I have to admit I feel the same about 000's and OM's in general: "is a warm blanket by the fireplace - get up and dance to some driving acoustic rock"

I had so smile about your description!  Cool 

I should own / play an OM (Long scale) somehow still enjoying my E8OM very much. 

cheers from overseas (Jason Isbells song "overseas" just playing) 

Mitch
„I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things“ Tom Waits
Love it - great review and I agree with Vapour, I also look forward to your new acquisitions and subsequent reviews   Smile

You said something that I think perfectly sums up the related common question "is a torrefied Eastman top better than non-torrefied" - which is to say that one is not better than the other. My TC E10OM is not 'better' than a non-torrefied model, just different in its own way.

In reading what you said, I wonder if I were in person which guitar I would have preferred... they both sound like great instruments. Congrats on the new '21!
sleigh and TomC like this post
What a swell thorough review. Thanks…
Hello all!

Long-time listener, first-time caller. I learned a lot from you all on this forum and inspired my first Eastman purchase, an E1D about a year ago. I am a noob, but at it daily since I got it, and getting slightly better every day. I'm 38 with a pretty busy life, but that guitar has lured me into picking it up almost daily. I told myself if I made a year into guitar, I would upgrade to something...good. So good, as to take the guitar part totally out of the equation. Haha. Nearly perfect instrument. If I sound bad playing it, well, I just need to play it more. Good problem to have. Long story short, I am honored to be the new owner of Tom's '18 E40OM. Having read so many of Tom's posts on this exact instrument, imagine my giddiness when I saw Tom had made the mistake of listing his E40OM. Haha. I had nearly hit my 1 year mark and there it was. Perfect timing. I got to the mark and I reached out to Tom.... just to get a prompt response that the guitar was no longer for sale. RATS! 

Then, like 2 hours later, by some cheesy sitcom serendipity, there it was. Tom found the long scale E40OM-TC and I was getting his baby. Had I known he was hurrying to ship it before properly A/Bing them, I would have gladly told him to take his time. Loved his thoughtful comparison. though. I am beyond excited to get my paws on this beauty. Will keep you posted. 

Cheers

Edit: I cant picture. 

TomC, AlanSam, Meathead like this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman Factory String Action Height too high? (about my E40OM-TC Gustavo Eiriz 6 2,023 02-21-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  E40om-Tc coming! Are they all long scales? Gustavo Eiriz 6 2,212 01-15-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Gustavo Eiriz
  E40OM-TC Llew 3 1,415 07-27-2022, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida