E40OM vs E20OM-TC
L-Man, that's a good and fair comparison between the three guitars.  I agree that Adirondack is brighter and can come across in a harsh way, especially on newer guitars.  Meanwhile, Sitka is warmer and more responsive to a light touch, yet has plenty of headroom to dig in.  Adi has a little more clarity and sounds a little more complex to my ears, which is the main reason I prefer it, but I like them both.

I'm with you on the E40OM, which is an amazing instrument.  My "40" keeps getting better after 3.5 years.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
A couple weeks ago I got the last E20D-TC from Blues Angels in Florida. 

It is a beautiful instrument that plays well and sounds great.

Anybody waiting for one will not be disappointed when it arrives.
AlanSam and Pura Vida like this post

Attached Files
.jpeg
File size: 120.14 KB
Downloads: 58
.jpeg
File size: 101.9 KB
Downloads: 58

(07-27-2020, 06:49 PM)L-Man Wrote: ... My favorite guitar is my Martin HD-28... The E08 tone is similar in nature to the Martin (on a smaller scale). Both are warm and clear, and my current favorite guitars.
I bought my E20OM because it sounded very similar to my D-35. Clear as a bell.  Who would have thought. Maybe it was because the 51-year old Martin was on more equal terms by then, was not a cannon any more because it had no saddle left.
2018 Eastman E20OM
Vintage, I forget... you decided to keep the D-35, but did you send it off for a neck reset?  Or just decide to keep playing it as-is?
(07-28-2020, 05:14 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Vintage, I forget... you decided to keep the D-35, but did you send it off for a neck reset?  Or just decide to keep playing it as-is?
Neither. I gave it to a local Martin luthier in January for a reset, but he banked the job until late March when he tried to order a bridge and saddle from Martin. He told me they were closed indefinitely, so I took the guitar back.

The action was perfect, but with the saddle whittled away over a couple of set ups, the break angle was so low that it was not much louder than my E20OM.  Worse, the strings were so low to the wood that my newly-learned alternate flat picking was pecking away at the top underneath the strings.  I did not want to hurt the guitar, so I sold it on Reverb this month.  

I included close photos of the bridge/saddle, and string height against a string ruler, and the 51-year old Brazilian went for $3,350.
AlanSam and Pura Vida like this post
2018 Eastman E20OM
Today I had the chance to play, side-by-side, four Eastman guitars. I have taken these home individually to play each to get to know them, but playing them side-by-side was great. I had someone with me who has a lot of experience and who I respect, it was good for him to listen at a distance to give feedback.

E8OM Sitka/Rosewood: Warm, natural tone, and outstanding value
E10OM Adi/Mahogany: Bigger sound with good projection and resonance, not quite as solid in the center of the tone as the Rosewood guitars
E20OM-ETC Rosewood/TC Adi/pickup installed: A lot like the E8OM, less warm, crisper, cleaner and leaner
E40OM Adi/Rosewood: This guitar is undoubtedly head and shoulders above the rest of the guitars. It has a huge spectrum of sound, the others all sound held back in comparison. It differs not only in quantity but essential quality of tone from the others. I miss some of the warmth that the E8OM has ... but the E40OM is not at all cold, just bright and forward. That should play in with time.

Edit: All of the guitars are excellent and I could be happy with any of them. I chose the E8OM. I'm really drawn to the warmth of the E8OM instrument for late night playing on the couch. It's not a huge tone, but well balanced, sweet, warm, and rich. I may purchase an E40OM in the future, there's no need to get yet another guitar this year.
Pura Vida and AlanSam like this post
2021 Eastman AC622CE
2020 Eastman E40OM
2020 Eastman AC308CE (Limited Edition)
2020 Martin HD-28
2021 Eastman PCH3-GACE
2004 Gibson Les Paul Studio, wine red
1999 Taylor 714 custom, Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood
L-Man, congratulations!  The "40" models have been in the shadow of the TC guitars for the last couple of years, due to the constrained TC inventory and popularity of torrified guitars.  But the "40" models are exceptional guitars, and Eastman pulls out all the stops with them.  My E40OM is bright and forward, as you describe it, and it's gotten steadily better over the last 3.5 years.  I also have two E40D guitars that are both amazing, but really different.  One is more lush and balanced, while the other is more focused and scooped.

Enjoy that E40OM and post some photos or a review, when you have a minute.
Winfielder likes this post
PV: Last minute I decided to go for the E8OM today ... it’s like half the price and a more “personal” guitar ... the E40OM is concert quality, lots of projection and just lovely. I may purchase an E40OM down the road ... this year I already bought a brand new Martin HD-28. I can only play one guitar at a time, after all.
AlanSam likes this post
2021 Eastman AC622CE
2020 Eastman E40OM
2020 Eastman AC308CE (Limited Edition)
2020 Martin HD-28
2021 Eastman PCH3-GACE
2004 Gibson Les Paul Studio, wine red
1999 Taylor 714 custom, Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood
L-Man, nothing wrong with that choice.  Less $$$ and a more intimate guitar for your needs.  There will be an E40OM available, if the desire returns later on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ‘18 E40OM vs ‘21 E40OM-TC Bourgeois influenced TomC 12 960 05-14-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Gustavo Eiriz